Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
Swedishmoose

Default Weird temperature gauge

Hi..

i tried to find information about common problems with the AU Falcon temperature gauge ( 2000 Falcon Futura 6 cyl. , 4 speed auto. ) but wasn't very successful.

That's what my gauge usually shows....

In winter the temperature gauge just touches the "normal" area when I am driving in the city...it sometimes climbs a bit higher but it never reaches the O from the word "normal" on the gauge. And even if it goes into the normal area it changes immediately as soon as I hit the freeway...and its back down.
The engine and radiator are hot. I don't get why the gauge is so sensitive and shows extrem different temperatures depending on city or freeway drive and the season.

In summer it always sits at the O from "normal" which seems to be normal...no matter if I am on the freeway or in the city.

Is it normal ??

Thanks

Swedishmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds normal, free way speeds you get lot more air hitting the radiator thus cooling it quicker, in the city, it will climb a lil bit then normal due to stop start traffic plus the heat from the other car in front of you blocking the air hitting your radiator,

hope i explained right lol

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2010, 12:17 AM   #3
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Yup tis suposed to be like that. frd906 is right, in traffic, you have restricted flow due to the car infront, and any air that does get in there would most likley be hot from the cars surrounding you. So then, Freeway = no restriction so it'll cool way better and drop in temp.

And i dont think the guage is sensitive, i think its working properly
Last thing you want is a slow inaccurate guage that tells you its hot when its to late.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
Swedishmoose

hi guys...

well thanks for the feedback.

I was just not used to a temperature gauge that "travels" a lot.

Usually they are pretty much sitting in their spot without moving a bit no matter what circumstances.

Well..the AU gauge actually tells you how warm or not warm the engine is.

thanks...

The Moose
Swedishmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post