Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
sleeper393

Default Power steering pump leaking

my power steering pump is leaking from the where the hose is screwed into the back the alloy coloured fitting , i have tried to tighten it but its as tight as it will go , and the alloy tube is still loose in the fitting. ????[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

123.4 GROUND TEARING RWKW'S , LOL
sleeper393 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New Hose will probally be in order, same thing happend to my grand fathers ef, cost him like 100 bucks for a new high pressure hose,

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
WannabeXP

Shouldnt it just be the flare?
Should be able to cut it off and reflare it!
or the thread has cross threaded.
A new hose is a bit excessive just for the fitting
Cheers Jason
05/2000 AUII XR6 5sp|Pacemaker 4480 Competition Headers|Lukey catback|Tickford Azzuro's|Impco LPG Conversion
WannabeXP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
robbyj
Rob

I had the same thing. Ford said it will be a new hose and fitting.. ended up having to pay for a whole new pump.. wasn't to happy. But had to be done.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Yes a new hose Maybe in order. Or maybe you can get Pitrek or Enzed to reco it. Not sure if there is one in that section but the o-ring/seal could be perished. Had a similar problem on my beast.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2010, 11:35 PM   #6
sleeper393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beast II
Yes a new hose Maybe in order. Or maybe you can get Pitrek or Enzed to reco it. Not sure if there is one in that section but the o-ring/seal could be perished. Had a similar problem on my beast.
THATS WHAT I THOUGHT , ABOUT THE O-RING , o-ring perishes thus causing the slack in the tube pulling up tight .
Old 04-10-2010, 12:00 AM   #7
sleeper393

found brand new high pressure hoses on ebay for $0.99 all positive feedback for the same items ? ? ? ? not sure though
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....#ht_563wt_1137
Old 04-10-2010, 08:52 AM   #8
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

x2 for O ring, i had the same thing happen a while ago, dont recall if it was from the high pressure fitting thats pictured above but its usually the seal that goes first so get it checked before anyone decides to replace the whole thing which costs alot more.

Subaru Outback '02

Last edited by TheInterceptor; 04-10-2010 at 09:02 AM.
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
wesomc

If you got the time and the tools and are very careful you can cut the old fitting off and just buy the new fitting from ford spares. All I did for mine (v8, but has same fitting) was make a cut down the length of the fitting using a cutting disc on a 90 degree die grinder. Then all you need is a cold chisel and a hammer to crack the fitting off and fit the new one. Saved me having to remove one bloody big pipe in my case, but seeing as it's on an I6 it's fairly easy to remove the hose to do the job.

Wes

Marine Blue EBII XR8 - GT40p's, Paceys, 3in mandrel bent exhaust, Explorer Manifold, YT 1.72 RR's, 65mm TB, 75mm MAF, Thermo's...now manual

1967 Ford Futura coupe 289 C4 stock cruiser
wesomc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #10
azza11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Be carefull about fluid in the alternator............they dont like it. Do it soon.

AZZA
Old 04-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #11
irdonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesomc
If you got the time and the tools and are very careful you can cut the old fitting off and just buy the new fitting from ford spares. All I did for mine (v8, but has same fitting) was make a cut down the length of the fitting using a cutting disc on a 90 degree die grinder. Then all you need is a cold chisel and a hammer to crack the fitting off and fit the new one. Saved me having to remove one bloody big pipe in my case, but seeing as it's on an I6 it's fairly easy to remove the hose to do the job.

Wes
Hi Wes,

Have you got a part number for the fitting to suit the V8? Have the same issue. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Ian
Old 04-10-2010, 11:16 PM   #12
wesomc

Not sure off the top of my head, I'll check and shoot you a PM tomorrow.

Wes

Marine Blue EBII XR8 - GT40p's, Paceys, 3in mandrel bent exhaust, Explorer Manifold, YT 1.72 RR's, 65mm TB, 75mm MAF, Thermo's...now manual

1967 Ford Futura coupe 289 C4 stock cruiser
wesomc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 12:14 AM   #13
jcto
JCTO AUII Falcon

Same problem I had.......needed a new hose and about 3 weeks after a new alternator......alternators dont like the fluid at all......
jcto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #14
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I agree it's most likely the O-ring. It's a standard AU thing really. It'll happen sometime! LOL!

As for the alternator, mine in the SR died from the fluid. Someone here a while back though, said they took theirs off after it was being bathed in PS fluid, hot washed it, dried it, put it back on and voila, all good again!

All the best with it, but as others have said, better get onto it quickly.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #15
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beast II
Or maybe you can get Pitrek or Enzed to reco it.
+1 for Pirtek or Enzed
Old 05-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #16
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Someone here a while back though, said they took theirs off after it was being bathed in PS fluid, hot washed it, dried it, put it back on and voila, all good again!
Me, me, me

I did mine over 12 months ago (it's still going) and my brother did the same thing just recently. His alt stopped charging so he removed, sprayed a can of degreaser into it, washed out with hose, blew out with compressed air and (as you say) "voila".
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #17
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
Me, me, me

I did mine over 12 months ago (it's still going) and my brother did the same thing just recently. His alt stopped charging so he removed, sprayed a can of degreaser into it, washed out with hose, blew out with compressed air and (as you say) "voila".
Cheers Ron!

Not 1, but 2 cases of it being successful!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #18
The Monty
Just slidin'

I cant even see mine from the mixture of P/S fluid and oil. I do spray a can of degreaser down that way every service to keep it all in check though.....
Old 05-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #19
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Aftermarket hoses from places like repco are really cheap for AU series 1 and 2. Wouldn't waste my time at Enzed or Pirtek. Normally these 2 companies only replace the hose and reuse your existing ends.............