Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Selling the AU, need opinions

Unfortunately it's crunch time and while I love having the best of both worlds, the AU has to go as I cannot afford to run two cars on a single income.

I've fixed various things on her over the last year and a half which anyone on here can read up on so I have no intention to mislead people on the condition of the car, which is pretty damn good considering the age.

Short of it: AU Fairmont Ghia S1, 1998, 185k, 4.0L, White with black leather interior, Lowered slightly, 2.5" Catback with chrome tip, hi-flow airfilter, DBA slotted rotors all round with bendix brake pads. Never been on a dyno, never set foot on a 1/4 mile track. Regularly serviced and have had ABS module rebuilt, recently had fan belt and all pulleys replaced, vct and tappet gaskets replaced, battery replaced 1 year ago, rear left hub and axle replaced, door actuator in passengers door replaced.

I am taking it to the mechanics for a roadworthy so anything else that has been left out will be fixed along with a major service before it is sold.

The long of it: shes an AU Fairmont Ghia Series 1, built in 1998, 4.0L Tickford VCT motor with a full leather interior in good condition (minor cracks on drivers and passengers seats, disappear with the leather conditioner I put on) with woodgrain inserts and chrome goodies.

Car has original stereo in it (missing tweater in left A pillar) and all the steering controls including audio and cruise work fine.

The drivers and passengers door are starting to wear around the front of the arm rest (the part you use to open and close the door) and some of the black material is coming off, these will need replacing eventually if you wanted a pristine interior however this is about the only major thing wrong with the interior.

Car drives and handles very well, exhaust has a good note when accelerating and does not drone on the highway or in general.

Anything that needed replacing pretty much has been replaced, as above, mechanics will sort out the rest.

Paint has a few minor chips in the bonnet and the scratch on the bumper was there from when I bought it. A few scratches on the rear bumper but apart from that the car looks in very good nick.

Market value of a pristine one is around $7.5k however I'd be wrapped to get $6k once everything is fixed up.

Am I being realistic?

Edit: Car will be up for sale in the next 6 weeks or so once I get it roadworthy, shall put it up in the sales section once I have this.

My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real

Last edited by grandpa_spec_F6; 30-09-2010 at 03:27 PM.
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Roughly going by prices these days, 3 to 5 grand for a series 1

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Stick it out for six, be happy with five, provided you make it mickey mouse.
Old 30-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

It's been well maintained since I bought it so it shouldn't take much to make her shine, only polished it a month ago, it's mainly the service that needs doing to make it roadworthy. You've driven it before so feel free to come round and have an inspect ;)
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Old 30-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
robbyj
Rob

I agree with Mr Hardware. Start it at 6. Take 5.
I recently tried to sell my S1 as a "p plater car" and was flamed for my asking price.
I had a couple of offers. 5.5, 6 and 7.

So a VCT ghia should go around 5.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Ah I thought this may be the case, I really would like 6K as the gov. is reaming me for stamp duty and rego on the other car, $1500 just to get the other car on the road, its flamin ridiculous!

Edit: Also have to renew the rego on my AU soon so there's another 400-ish for 6 months, by the time I get it sold I'll be broke!

Last edited by grandpa_spec_F6; 30-09-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 30-09-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
robbyj
Rob

Ouch.
Yea, i reckon wait long enough the right person will come along.
Old 30-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #8
robbyj
Rob

In your sig you have 'lots of doof doof' is there a stereo system in there or did u put the stock stuff back in?
Old 30-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #9
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

It makes me sad to see such premium AU's go for so little. That just gives me more incentive never to sell mine and just pass it down to other family members as some kind of heirloom. Maybe in 30 years they will just go up in price like the XY's. haha

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I know what you mean blueoval, but that's what they said about EB Ghia's 10 years ago. Do you think anyone gives two hoots about an EB Ghia today? Nup.
Old 30-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #11
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

98 model with XD brakes............
I'd be jumping at 4k if it was me :(

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #12
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

sold my 5litre series 2 fairmont for $3200 two weeks ago. AU's (except T's and XR's)- arent worth jack!
Old 30-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #13
Eleanor

When I was at my mechanic's workshop about two months ago he was telling me about Series 1 Ghia in Burgundy that had come in for a pre-sale RWC. Elderly, 1 owner, 6cyl stock as a rock, 160kms, very good condition and the asking price was $5k. I'll have to find out how much it sold for.

These prices you guys are mentioning for Fairmonts, and V8 Fairmonts, are nearly making me cry though. I paid way too much when I bought my Futura earlier this year.

My AU2
Eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #14
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

an e what?

i think ill drive my au xr8 til she stops ticking.. even then probably get an overhaul... its a good rig. i cant fault her.. gearbox is a tiny bit notchy compared to most manuals i drive, but otherwise she just goes...

good luck with the sale buddy, even if it takes a while... ;)
Old 01-10-2010, 01:23 AM   #15
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
It makes me sad to see such premium AU's go for so little. That just gives me more incentive never to sell mine and just pass it down to other family members as some kind of heirloom. Maybe in 30 years they will just go up in price like the XY's. haha
It is unfortunate for the seller but awesome for the buyer. I'm rapt that for under $5000, I got a fantastic car. It's not a Ghia, but I've found many of the Ghia touches for cheap enough

Just to put it in perspective, my EAII Ghia was a $7000 car back in 2002. Recently my next door neighbour bought pretty much the same car but a Series1 for $200.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #16
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

*sighs* looks rather unfortunate however I'm going to stick with the $6k starting price I think, it just a tad scary hearing all these stories about people selling cars for buckleys!

I guess I'll just have to just sit on her for a while until it sells for a reasonable price (at this stage I wouldn't budge from 5k) as I'm not desperate to sell her, I just need the money elsewhere.

Edit: Thank you everyone for all the input, it's a sad day as I love the AU and it has been a great car, I'm sure I'll be in another ford at some stage, they're just a damn good car all round

I'm putting the stock stereo back in as there's a few grand worth of audio gear in there that isn't going to put the price up by anything. Going to transfer it all into the other car.

I'm also only the second owner from new, with the first being an army chap who kept a full log book up until 150k.

Last edited by grandpa_spec_F6; 01-10-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #17
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza
It is unfortunate for the seller but awesome for the buyer. I'm rapt that for under $5000, I got a fantastic car. It's not a Ghia, but I've found many of the Ghia touches for cheap enough

Just to put it in perspective, my EAII Ghia was a $7000 car back in 2002. Recently my next door neighbour bought pretty much the same car but a Series1 for $200.
Your right there mate. Its a buyers market and if you wanted to be a real pr ick about it you could sting the seller even harder.

I don't think I could ever come to terms with selling my AU. I have spent far too much on it to just burn it on a sale for another car. At best I'd get about 25% of what it owes me, and thats being optimistic. I'd rather keep driving it, keep up the maintenance, keep it clean, give it a full overhaul if it requires it in the next 5-10 years and hand it down to my nephew to enjoy.

Grandpa - hope you get close to what you are asking for your car. Im sure the person who buys it is getting a very good vehicle on the basis of how you have looked after it.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 01-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #18
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Honestly your going to be hard pressed to get anything above $6k.

I got my S2 for $6300 2ish years ago with 114000 on the clock, I thought it was a good deal at the time. If I didn't have my SVI system in it I dont think id get $4k.

Needless to say that I think I am going to keep the AU as a daily for as long as I can. I mean no other car gives me what it does for such little running costs, I fill the thing up for $30 and get over 500k's, the Barina doesn't even do that.

The longer you keep it the more you will save, I plan to have a nice weekender car and keep the AU for daily duties. Whats the point in spending big on a daily when some **** scratches you etc...then there is depreciation of new cars..stuff that.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #19
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Thats half the reason why Im not getting my paint done yet Polyal. My car has scratches and imperfections in as it is, and as a daily now, it would be futile and pointless to respray the car only for it to be someones shopping trolley down the shops. It would cut me deep if the paint was damaged after forking out $XXXX of dollars making the paint look killer.

My intention is to drive it as a daily for now. Enjoy it as is for a while. Then buy another nicer car as a daily driver and turn the AU more as a weekender.

Sorry to hijack the thread grandpa

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 01-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #20
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

All good blueoval

It just annoys me that if I wrote off my car I would get market value of $7.5k, yet it seems like I can barely get even $5k for a well maintained vehicle... ah well... that's just how it goes I guess

At the end of the day I'd love to keep both as you say Polyal, however two rego's (soon to be 3 with the bike), two lots of insurance, fuel costs, tyres etc. just don't allow me that luxury :(
Old 01-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #21
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Your right, you should sell the VY (actually I was joking but you will lose more money holding onto the VY longer..)

Then buy a classic which will appreciate if anything.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 01-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #22
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Well my intention was to get a nice XR8 manual in a BA or BF however the VY happened to come up at the right time with the right price, and I couldn't resist haha.

I'd thought about going down the classic route, however being fairly young in comparison to others on here I am not well established in terms of assets, and I would have been hard pressed getting a loan for an older vehicle that would be barely driven and cost a third world countries GDP to insure :(

Edit: I understand Polyal, can't expect to not cop it owning a holden while being a member on a site dedicated to fords I'm sure the holden will depreciate, heck you can get a fully kitted out VS commodore for $5k these days, and even some of the HSV models are cheaper than scrap metal. I just wanted a good daily car with a bit of oomph to it, the VY just fit the bill in this case
Old 01-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #23
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah I was only half taking the ****, im sure that VY goes ok. I know the feeling about getting a weekender...just not the right time, but in another year look out.

Lifes short, you have what you want, if the AU has served you well I wouldn't get to hung up on +/- $1k or so when you sell.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 01-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #24
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Lifes short, you have what you want, if the AU has served you well I wouldn't get to hung up on +/- $1k or so when you sell.
Yeah that actually puts it into a bit of perspective.... I've loved owning the AU, love the exhaust note especially and the interior is just a dream on those long cruises. If I didn't get the AU, Mr Hardware wouldn't have introduced me to the forums, and I wouldn't have met a great bunch of people who are both knowledgeable and passionate about their cars. (feel free to go and puke at the sentimental nature of above text ) I'm not really loosing out when you look at it that way I guess.

After hearing Peutey's AU XR8, I kinda wished I put off buying the VY as it sounded like a roaring orgasm of explosions and awesome, nicest sounding note of any car I've heard by far, but I've got it now, and in the future I'd love to own a classic Ford like an XC (love the shape).
Old 02-10-2010, 12:28 AM   #25
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i`d hang out for the 6 k grandpa spec au, your Au sounds like a very honest car that some dad would be very happy to buy for his young bloke, good luck.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #26
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

sorry but i dont agree. The longer you hold it the more it depreciates. Cut your loses now or keep it. next year your probably looking at 3-4 max for pristine series 2/3 fairmonts! BA/F's are getting cheap now, personal choice of course- but if i could buy a newer car for a few grand more, why would i pay 5g for a 12 year old car with 185k on it?
Old 02-10-2010, 09:08 AM   #27
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0
sorry but i dont agree. The longer you hold it the more it depreciates. Cut your loses now or keep it. next year your probably looking at 3-4 max for pristine series 2/3 fairmonts!
I tend to agree..

Also, if you keep it another 6 months waiting it for it sell, thats another $500 in rego, if your keeping it insured there's another few hundred.. Say another $500-700 depreciation in 6 months, and your already well under 5k..

As we all know in the end, its not worth anymore then someone will pay for it. It all comes down to whether it is "crunch time" and you need it gone, or if you simply want it gone..
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2010, 10:42 AM   #28
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nothing to do with the au, but i was selling a vr commodore a year ago. was asking $2900, someone offered $2000 before it was advertised (had signs on it, but not in paper yet) i knocked them back as it was only 2/3 of what i was asking (and i wanted to use the car to help move house). 6 months later after paying another $1000 for rego i ended up taking $1400 just to get rid of it.

so as people have said above, it might be worth cutting the losses and selling it now.

on a side note, these au prices aren't looking too good. i want to update my car (au3 sr with 200k's) next year and was hoping to get something back for it, it isn't looking good..

-tim
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #29
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id sell it right now, becuase if you keep driving it, the ks will go up even more and something else might go wrong

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #30
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0
sold my 5litre series 2 fairmont for $3200 two weeks ago. AU's (except T's and XR's)- arent worth jack!
3200?!?!? Sheesh if I saw that, id have even thought about pickingthat up! Problems or not, what a steal!!!

Last edited by HLC; 02-10-2010 at 12:13 PM.
HLC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post