Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 25-03-2006, 10:04 PM   #1
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 
Default Zetec Focus (man.) vs. Golf FSI Comfortline (man.)???

Sorry if this is a repost.

I'm considering buying one of the above very soon, and need people's input.

I'm yet to test drive the Focus (that will change soon), but test drove the above Golf and was very impressed. It was amazingly quiet (easy to say coming from an EL Falcon) and was very smooth (taking the Focus catch-phrase!). I love the interior of it too, very well thought out.

I also had a test drive of the FSI auto (was ok), 1.9L TDI manual (the torque was amazing), and finally the Polo GTI (wow!! I value my licence though, too much fun!)

Obviously I can't make any decsions until I test drive the Focus as well, just thought there would be a few people out there who have test-driven both and would like to contribute.

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 11:43 PM   #2
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
Sorry if this is a repost.

I'm considering buying one of the above very soon, and need people's input.

I'm yet to test drive the Focus (that will change soon), but test drove the above Golf and was very impressed. It was amazingly quiet (easy to say coming from an EL Falcon) and was very smooth (taking the Focus catch-phrase!). I love the interior of it too, very well thought out.

I also had a test drive of the FSI auto (was ok), 1.9L TDI manual (the torque was amazing), and finally the Polo GTI (wow!! I value my licence though, too much fun!)

Obviously I can't make any decsions until I test drive the Focus as well, just thought there would be a few people out there who have test-driven both and would like to contribute.
Personally, If Ford had a TDI Focus, it would be a no brainer.... If you did a LOT of KM the TDI Golf would be better than Petrol Focus.... Build Quality may be better than Focus long term too.
But if you want to enjoy the car for "weekend" drives, well then i would suggest going for the Focus.

The Focus hatch has heaps more usable capacity than the Golf as well.... Couldnt fit pram in Golf, but could in Focus quite easily.
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 04:40 AM   #3
Forest Bear

Probably an off-topic post but although I thoroughly concede the Golf is a very, very good car it was never on my list because I simply hate it.

It looks dull and boring. Looking at it, even the GTI, doesn't excite me one bit. Its made for the brand-slave I-drive-a-real-european-car latte snob set.

Give me Focus, Astra, Mazda3 over a Golf anyday.
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 03:40 PM   #4
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

I can see where you're coming from Forest Bear, there's definitley some snobbery associated with the Golf.

I think what doesn't help the Golf is the terrible wheels that come standard. Some nice 16/17's, dark tint, and lowering would make a very nice looking car. BTW, I'm looking at either United Grey for the Golf or Titanium Grey for the Focus.

I test drove the Zetec Focus today (and the FSI man. again straight after), and am still leaning towards the Golf. VW has seemed to have made better use of the interior space, whereas the Focus supposedly has more interior space but it doesn't seem so when you sit in the car. Also, the vision out of the Golf is alot better than the Focus.

One negative with the Golf is it must use premium unleaded...
Old 26-03-2006, 04:46 PM   #5
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Although I do not have either of them, I've read alot about them and I have also been inside of them recently (when purchasing my current car).

I would go with the Focus Zetec because;
- Better car for the value. Think of what you are getting. You comment how the Golf would look good with 17s and lowered (is the Sportline lowered?). However, the Focus already has the 17s, lowered, and bodykit... plus the blackened front headlights. It also costs alot less, yet is packed with features.
- Also comes with cheap as chips Ford Service
- No waiting lists
- The driver's car. Sure it might not have the power, but it sure would tare up the corners! I have (in my current car - more power obviously) overtaken an A3 FSi (same engine) who wasn't going to let me in (fool... then he realised what I had!) and gez did it sound thrashy! Even my Fiesta had a better sound....

Golf;
- Brand snobbery.... but then again, I work in Balmain (head of snobs!) and the Golf is everywhere. Would much rather a Focus and be different (see where I'm coming from here... hence I didn't get the Polo. That and it was crap!)
- MAYBE better fit and finish. We all say the quality may be better - but come on, it was ALSO designed in Germany, BUILT in South Africa. Same as the Focus...

Still trying to think of reasons why the more expensive, but less driver oriented Golf is better. And I cannot. Pretty sure that either Wheels or Motor tested the Focus vs Golf - Can't remember off the top of my head who won... but it was close!

The only Golf I would consider would be the GTI, and even then.... the XR5T sounds MUCH better. So, go with the Ford!

**EDIT** Thought this might be of interest. When I went shopping for my car... It took VW (2 dealers) a while to come up to me. Not sure of your age, but they thought I was too young. Funny that, cause I ended up spending MORE then the Polo GTI.

Also, I have a mate of mine (whose parents you would consider to be VERYYYYYY well off). His mother bought a VW FSi ... she went on holiday with the intention of getting it when she came back (3 weeks) and when she got back was informed that her car was Sold to someone else.......... So I guess it is not only Ford that has shocking pre-delivery service. Also of note; SHOP AROUND! With my car I had people that couldn't match my first drive-away price by $4,500! So, it is worthwhile to shop around!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 05:45 PM   #6
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Thanks for the great advice Teki04.

I must say that I have been lucky when it has come to customer service at my local VW dealer (McGrath Sutherland). The sales guy first probably thought I was there for a joy ride (I'm almost 24 but look a little younger). We eventually ended up taking 4 cars for a test drive in about 1&1/2 hours...he also converted me from wanting a auto to a manual (wasn't hard) and has been very friendly and genuine. Told me some tips about keeping clear of dogdy car salepeople too!!

Back on topic: from the quotes I've received so far, the Golf isn't THAT much more expensive than the Zetec Focus.

Teki04: I realise the Golf isn't as driver orientated as the Focus, but I've figured that you can always improve the handling afterwards (I'm sure there would be kits in Europe/UK) than to buy the Focus and try to make it quieter (inside the car), more refined, improve the interior issues, etc. I would like to stay in a Ford with the Zetec though. If the budget allowed, I would be in a Clio (182 Cup)!!

Also, Wheels have done a small car test last year (Sept. '05) and gave it to the Golf.

I'm very underdecided ATM!! I would even consider a LX Focus sedan, but would have to get some decent wheels (and lower it) to make it look good. Its just the small details, like seat trim, that turn my off the Focus, and the big things like the resale of the VW that tip me towards the Golf.
Old 26-03-2006, 06:00 PM   #7
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Although I do not have either of them, I've read alot about them and I have also been inside of them recently (when purchasing my current car).

I would go with the Focus Zetec because;
- Better car for the value. Think of what you are getting. You comment how the Golf would look good with 17s and lowered (is the Sportline lowered?). However, the Focus already has the 17s, lowered, and bodykit... plus the blackened front headlights. It also costs alot less, yet is packed with features.
- Also comes with cheap as chips Ford Service
- No waiting lists
- The driver's car. Sure it might not have the power, but it sure would tare up the corners! I have (in my current car - more power obviously) overtaken an A3 FSi (same engine) who wasn't going to let me in (fool... then he realised what I had!) and gez did it sound thrashy! Even my Fiesta had a better sound....

Golf;
- Brand snobbery.... but then again, I work in Balmain (head of snobs!) and the Golf is everywhere. Would much rather a Focus and be different (see where I'm coming from here... hence I didn't get the Polo. That and it was crap!)
- MAYBE better fit and finish. We all say the quality may be better - but come on, it was ALSO designed in Germany, BUILT in South Africa. Same as the Focus...

Still trying to think of reasons why the more expensive, but less driver oriented Golf is better. And I cannot. Pretty sure that either Wheels or Motor tested the Focus vs Golf - Can't remember off the top of my head who won... but it was close!

The only Golf I would consider would be the GTI, and even then.... the XR5T sounds MUCH better. So, go with the Ford!

**EDIT** Thought this might be of interest. When I went shopping for my car... It took VW (2 dealers) a while to come up to me. Not sure of your age, but they thought I was too young. Funny that, cause I ended up spending MORE then the Polo GTI.

Also, I have a mate of mine (whose parents you would consider to be VERYYYYYY well off). His mother bought a VW FSi ... she went on holiday with the intention of getting it when she came back (3 weeks) and when she got back was informed that her car was Sold to someone else.......... So I guess it is not only Ford that has shocking pre-delivery service. Also of note; SHOP AROUND! With my car I had people that couldn't match my first drive-away price by $4,500! So, it is worthwhile to shop around!
You're a good armtwister Teki04!! :

Seriously thinking about the LX Sedan with bodykit (and decent aftermarket wheels)...didn't take much!! (sort of convinced myself a little)
Have you been in the Focus Sedan??
Old 26-03-2006, 07:34 PM   #8
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Nice - Yes I have been in a Focus Sedan (when Matt [zetec] brought up a pre-delivery model from Melbourne). I quite like them.

However it needs; Bodykit, Zetec headlights, nice rims (even the Zetec ones).

I've seen on the F3 an LX Sedan in Silver with the Zetec rims and Bodykit.... lets just say I was drooling (had the Fiesta at the time) and was just behind it to admire and take it all in. The Sedan does have the extra room...

It just sits a little high is the problem (which as you said, can be sorted). However... I'm going to be bad here and ask, why haven't you checked out the Mazda3 then?

Two of my work mates got a Mazda3 Maxx Sport (one in grey, the other in black) and I must admit, I do like them. I was seriously considering one before the Fiesta (but saved the cash... So I can have a Clio now :P). They do have a very nice interior, and look very nice too. Like the Golf though, VERY popular! And, you might be left wanting more (SP23 or the MPS3 coming out soon....)

Yea, with service - I'm 18 so VW literally snobbed me. Their bad, as I ended up spending more $$$ then the Polo GTI. Oh well..... Not only that, but he also had a second hand Renault there. Haha, he went on and on about the Polo GTI being German (DUDE, it is SPANISH). Goes to show know knows more... the customer or the manager (he was).

It is a shame the Ghia doesn't come in Manual - a good debadging and different wheels would make it look very sexy. Maybe re-trim the side bolsters to make it look good

*EDIT* How much you looking a spending? PM me if you like (incase Ford dealers lerk here...) Almost certain you can pick up a normal 182 if you have the cash.... : _2: :eclipsee_

Well, considering you looked at a Polo GTI - I remember something like $27,990 + 2,500 for leather + 1,500 for the sunroof + Delivery Charges = $33,500! Shocked for a $28k car....

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 26-03-2006, 09:39 PM   #9
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Nice - Yes I have been in a Focus Sedan (when Matt [zetec] brought up a pre-delivery model from Melbourne). I quite like them.

However it needs; Bodykit, Zetec headlights, nice rims (even the Zetec ones).

I've seen on the F3 an LX Sedan in Silver with the Zetec rims and Bodykit.... lets just say I was drooling (had the Fiesta at the time) and was just behind it to admire and take it all in. The Sedan does have the extra room...

It just sits a little high is the problem (which as you said, can be sorted). However... I'm going to be bad here and ask, why haven't you checked out the Mazda3 then?

Two of my work mates got a Mazda3 Maxx Sport (one in grey, the other in black) and I must admit, I do like them. I was seriously considering one before the Fiesta (but saved the cash... So I can have a Clio now :P). They do have a very nice interior, and look very nice too. Like the Golf though, VERY popular! And, you might be left wanting more (SP23 or the MPS3 coming out soon....)

Yea, with service - I'm 18 so VW literally snobbed me. Their bad, as I ended up spending more $$$ then the Polo GTI. Oh well..... Not only that, but he also had a second hand Renault there. Haha, he went on and on about the Polo GTI being German (DUDE, it is SPANISH). Goes to show know knows more... the customer or the manager (he was).

It is a shame the Ghia doesn't come in Manual - a good debadging and different wheels would make it look very sexy. Maybe re-trim the side bolsters to make it look good

*EDIT* How much you looking a spending? PM me if you like (incase Ford dealers lerk here...) Almost certain you can pick up a normal 182 if you have the cash.... : _2: :eclipsee_

Well, considering you looked at a Polo GTI - I remember something like $27,990 + 2,500 for leather + 1,500 for the sunroof + Delivery Charges = $33,500! Shocked for a $28k car....
If I got the LX Sedan I would option for the bodykit. Would still be ALOT cheaper than the Golf.

I really like the Zetec alloys, but would go aftermarket for something a little different. Not sure if I would go 16 or 17 inch though...

Re the Polo GTI: not sure if you have test driven one, but I thought it went pretty damn well. Would be a bit too much for an everyday car though, plus it misses out on a few little things the Golf/Focus has standard (ie centre arm rest...I'm driving a Falcon now, it would be way too strange going to a car without one!!)

Anyone own a LX sedan in Dawn blue with the bodykit and has pics???
Old 26-03-2006, 10:07 PM   #10
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Pretty sure I have seen a Dawn Blue Sedan on here.... Maybe check the previous Threads.

As for the money value - The Ford is probably looking like a way better drivers car. Remember, you are paying for the badge with the VW, as it is still South African built!

17 Inch i think would be the way to go! Isn't the LX already 16s?

With the Polo GTI - I did LOVE the interior... but it just wasn't handling well. It sat higher then my Fiesta too. The front brakes were the SAME size as the Fiesta, yet 200kg more. That was another factor, the added weight. Then, Insurance was WAY more then the Renault as it was a Turbo car i guess. So, in the end I went with the ClioSport (which also had history behind it here.... unlike the POLO - which my friends claimed to be a girls car... more so then the Fiesta!). The Clio handles better, is quicker, has more power, stops better, oversteers when needed, and sits lower..... Also has Leather/Alcantra Standard!
Old 26-03-2006, 10:14 PM   #11
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Now I'm undecided on colour...not a bad thing to be agonising over I suppose
Old 26-03-2006, 10:27 PM   #12
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Yea, sorry Russ - I don't like the Dawn Blue. I like Jeans Blue, Blue Print, Titanium Grey... or Silver if you really need to. Hate Black - pain to clean, but great when it is clean! Considering you told me the amount of Ks you've done, I'm guessing alot are Highway Ks, so I'd say the black is bad as;

1. Safety - doesn't stand out
2. Dark - Will look dirty instantly. Don't bother cleaning before a trip!

Old 26-03-2006, 10:33 PM   #13
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Yeah, do some highway trips every so often...will have to see Jeans blue in the flesh before I made up my mind.

Black is definitley off the list. Silver is a bit boring (and common) for me too. Titanium shouldn't be too bad to keep clean...
Old 26-03-2006, 10:48 PM   #14
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Titanium seems to be the popular colour.... ;)

Old 26-03-2006, 11:13 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

So very sickof seeing new Foci in Silver! Dawn Blue is nice, especially with a bodykit and big rims.

My pick of the 2 cars would be the Golf though. I am not convinced about the LS Focus - seems to be just too many quality and build issues etc for my liking. Im not a fan of the bigass plastic dash in them either.
Old 26-03-2006, 11:21 PM   #16
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Are you on a VW forum b2tf?! Because - considering this IS fordforums, I'm sure your hearing alot more about the Ford problems, then the VW

Old 26-03-2006, 11:32 PM   #17
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Are you on a VW forum b2tf?! Because - considering this IS fordforums, I'm sure your hearing alot more about the Ford problems, then the VW
Gee, you are a bright spark arent you? You own a renault yet you are on a FORD forum because? See my logic? Guess where I got it from?
Old 26-03-2006, 11:35 PM   #18
commonman00
Starter Motor

Quote:
Yeah, do some highway trips every so often...will have to see Jeans blue in the flesh before I made up my mind.

Black is definitley off the list. Silver is a bit boring (and common) for me too. Titanium shouldn't be too bad to keep clean...

What about Red. With body kit and tinted windows, I reckon the Red looks pretty good.
commonman00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2006, 12:08 AM   #19
Mick K.

I own a previous model Focus Zetec, and owned a previous model Golf. Based on the previous models - Focus is more fun and handles better, but Golf is classier and is better put together. I got more satisfaction out of the Golf in terms of features and nice things like soft retracting hand grips and key operated power windows, while I have more fun cornering in the Focus.

For similar dollars, I'd go for the Golf. The FSI's 98-RON diet is a bit hard to take, but isn't 95-RON + recommended for the current model Focus anyway?

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2006, 12:09 AM   #20
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Gee, you are a bright spark arent you? You own a renault yet you are on a FORD forum because? See my logic? Guess where I got it from?
Because I owned a Ford Fiesta Zetec for 1.5 years till about 2 weeks ago :

M.K, that would mean the Focus can run on 95 octane or 98 yea?

From what I have gathered from Russ in PMs, He can get the Focus quite cheap......

Old 27-03-2006, 11:45 PM   #21
Parasite

Even optioning the bodykit and adding 17" wheels...you might as well get the Zetec.
Decent rims with decent rubber will be around $1500, the bodykit will be about the same.

Unless your heart is set on a sedan that is....
Parasite is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2006, 12:10 AM   #22
Talldude

man ive heared some horror stories about golf's, my mate had one little things kept on breaking like electric window thingie, cost him 90 bucks feach time would happen at least once a year. also for some reason it broke down alot always something different.

but maybe it was a once off or one of the first ones off the production line just like the current focus.

as for me i would wait for the xr5 if you were tempted by the golf gti.

get a new focus lx save you money in the long run.
Talldude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2006, 12:36 AM   #23
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

OMG I JUST SAW A XR5T! HOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT - and Parasite; He likes the Sedan.

Old 28-03-2006, 08:08 PM   #24
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Have made my final decision: manual LX sedan with bodykit + tints (thrown in) in Titanium Grey. I want the sedan - I drove the Zetec and didn't like the rear vision out of it (that probably has to do with me driving a EL Falcon atm, have never owned a hatch)

Price DRIVEAWAY is $28360. That includes bodykit painted+fitted (price starts at $25000 from Ford website).

Zetec manual starts at $27490, + you have to add other usual costs (close to $30000 on the road).

Any Focus LX Sedan owners out there and can tell me if this is a good price????

Ford also have FREE 12 months insurance for Focus as well
Old 29-03-2006, 08:14 PM   #25
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

LX Focus as above now ordered

2-4 weeks wait...
Old 29-03-2006, 08:18 PM   #26
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
LX Focus as above now ordered

2-4 weeks wait...
WOooooooooooooooooo - Glad I convinced you : Happy Motoring!

Old 29-03-2006, 08:34 PM   #27
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Can't wait!!

Saw a CL Sedan in Titanium Grey on the road yesterday and knew I made the right choice. Very classy colour. With the bodykit and tints should look pretty good.

Now for some nice wheels... (maybe a couple months down the track...)
Old 29-03-2006, 08:39 PM   #28
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Nice nice! You will have to come along to a drive day one day - and hopefully I will show up with my new wheels!

Old 29-03-2006, 08:53 PM   #29
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

I will. Good chance to see what the Focus is made of...

Will be good to see other new Foci (+ Clio's) as well
Old 29-03-2006, 10:11 PM   #30
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:

Ford also have FREE 12 months insurance for Focus as well
Say what?!? I dont think I got that.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post