Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Brisbane drivers pay about 16 cents a litre more for petrol since subsidy ended a yea

Brisbane drivers pay about 16 cents a litre more for petrol since subsidy ended a year ago
Robyn Ironside From: The Courier-Mail August 11, 2010 9:19am
BRISBANE drivers are paying an average 16 cents a litre more for petrol since the State Government dumped its 8.3 cents a litre fuel subsidy just over a year ago.

The massive jump in price has been exposed by petrol price watchdog Fueltrac, which found the average price of unleaded has climbed from $1.11 in May 2009 to $1.27 last month.

The figure makes Brisbane the most expensive of the major capital cities for fuel, with Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra and Perth averaging $1.24 a litre in July.

Fueltrac manager Geoff Trotter said the appointment of a national petrol commissioner after the last federal election had achieved next to nothing for motorists.

``He (the petrol commissioner) is the invisible man,'' Mr Trotter said.

``No one knows his name, not even the Prime Minister and certainly no-one knows what he does.''

He said as well as losing the subsidy, Queensland drivers had seen the discount for ethanol-blended fuel decrease from 3 cents to 2 cents a litre, and the range of petrol prices in each weekly cycle narrow.

``Prices don't go as low as they used to, but they still go as high as they used to,'' Mr Trotter said.

``Instead of a difference of 15 cents a litre from lowest to highest prices, it's more like 10 cents.''

But petrol commissioner Joe Dimasi denied drivers were worse off since his appointment in October 2008, and said he was working towards increasing competition in the Brisbane market.

``We blocked the sale of the Mobil sites to Caltex (in Brisbane) because we thought that would reduce competition and lead to a lessening of the competitive pressure in the market,'' he said.

``The discounting isn't as strong in Brisbane because you don't have as many of the big independents.''

Gary Fites from peak motoring body the RACQ said the State Government's requirement that ethanol-blended fuels account for 5 per cent of oil company sales was likely to make fuel even more expensive.

``When regular unleaded disappears from the market, E10 will be the new benchmark,'' he said.

``That has all sorts of nasty implications as far as pricing is concerned because we'll lose a lot of transparency in the pricing structure.''

Thank you Captain Bligh!!!!

Old 11-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wecome to the real world , wait until they budget for $470m in speed camera fines like they do down here in mexico and then you will really have something to bleat about.
Cheers
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Livin in brissie for many years , i think we havent faired to bad
Its only lately that we have came up to the rest of the states for fuel prices
Brissie for many years was way under sydney prices
MAYBE if the idiots running the show didnt over spend on the moreton bay cleanup we wouldnt be whinging to bad
It doesnt matter what clown is running the show
Theres always a clown doin it
This clown is bad, the one before was bad,the one before was bad,you get the picture
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never ceases to amaze me how the rest of the state is always forgotten whe it comes to fuel prices.
South East Brisbane residents whinge and bleat about their fuel going up 16c.....

The rest of the state was always 10 to 20cents dearer then Brisbane 100% of the time when we HAD the fuel subsidy.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Never ceases to amaze me how the rest of the state is always forgotten whe it comes to fuel prices.
South East Brisbane residents whinge and bleat about their fuel going up 16c.....

The rest of the state was always 10 to 20cents dearer then Brisbane 100% of the time when we HAD the fuel subsidy.
Never whinged once, plus you choose to live where you do.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
Livin in brissie for many years , i think we havent faired to bad
Its only lately that we have came up to the rest of the states for fuel prices
Brissie for many years was way under sydney prices
MAYBE if the idiots running the show didnt over spend on the moreton bay cleanup we wouldnt be whinging to bad
It doesnt matter what clown is running the show
Theres always a clown doin it
This clown is bad, the one before was bad,the one before was bad,you get the picture
The problem is when we vote a clown in that has never run a business let alone proven them selves to be able to run one.
I think we only have university educated liars running the show now days.
Their main game is all about trying to fool people.
We can not have some one who comes out saying what they personally really think because it may offend some one.
Australians now days do idolise political correctness.
Don't only fools have idols.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow it costs that little still for your fuel?!!!
Premium is usually $1.50 a litre here, so sorry, no sympathy
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Havent read the thread but I have 0% sympathy for anybody who pays under 140 or so for premium like we have to (and have had to for years) here.

suck it up.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

98 up here is regularly over the $1.40 a litre mark
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #10
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Havent read the thread but I have 0% sympathy for anybody who pays under 140 or so for premium like we have to (and have had to for years) here.

suck it up.
138.9cpl for Ultimate just this morning. If you get it either today or Thurs it wont be more then that
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 11-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #11
irlewy86
Meep Meep

I think the point of comparing Brisbane's price to other capital cities is to find a consistant benchmark. Comparing different regional area's will always be a mindfield. I don't understand the lack of independant competition bit though, Matilda's and IFS are all over the place?
Old 11-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #12
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
I think the point of comparing Brisbane's price to other capital cities is to find a consistant benchmark. Comparing different regional area's will always be a mindfield. I don't understand the lack of independant competition bit though, Matilda's and IFS are all over the place?
Spot on and the capital cities in most if not all states will be cheaper then the regional centres
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 11-08-2010, 04:44 PM   #13
prydey
Rob

where's the point in comparing fuel price now to fuel price over a year ago?? fuel price is dearer in adelaide compared to a year ago, and there was no subsidy here. maybe the fuel price has just simply gone up in that 12 months and nothing to do with the subsidy being removed. oh wait, thats not it, its a conspiracy.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #14
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
where's the point in comparing fuel price now to fuel price over a year ago?? fuel price is dearer in adelaide compared to a year ago, and there was no subsidy here. maybe the fuel price has just simply gone up in that 12 months and nothing to do with the subsidy being removed. oh wait, thats not it, its a conspiracy.
Queensland used to have an 8.3 cent per litre subsidy. The state government had to keep pressure on the fuel suppliers to keep the price 8.3c lower than the other benchmark markets and not export subsidised fuel south. Now its gone, we have an 3c premium over the same markets.

Last edited by irlewy86; 11-08-2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Getting the facts
irlewy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #15
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At the end of the day ,
If you dont want to pay the fuel price,dont buy it
Pushin ya car will work,but we see how ya go pushin it up hills
The ACCC have investigated the rubbish erratice fuel prices and nothin happened
Brissie fuel prices went skyward a few yaers ago ,and the government blamed the banana prices (yep and we fell for that ,is that cause we are monkeys ???)
When the bananas went down , didnt the fuel also ???
If you watch the crud oil prices skyrocket a few years ago,seems the fuel everywhere was rising every minute
Crud oil,has settled a bit,but fuel didnt go down
The government could charge $3 a litre,there would be an outcry
But youll walk or pay it
Neccessity of life
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #16
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Queensland used to have an 8.3 cent per litre subsidy. The state government had to keep pressure on the fuel suppliers to keep the price 8.3c lower than the other benchmark markets and not export subsidised fuel south. Now its gone, we have an 3c premium over the same markets.
based on what? how many servo's did they canvas in each area? i can drive from one side of any capital city to the other and find a much larger variation than 3cpl! it also doesn't take into account various incentives or discounts individual servos or franchises may be implementing.

its just a news story designed to get a reaction and its doing its job. i wonder if there is an election looming??
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #17
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can only dream of paying a $1.27 a litre

and they wonder why so many Kiwi's cross the ditch
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #18
holland_ford

this really annoys me
holland_ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #19
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Never whinged once, plus you choose to live where you do.

Sorry did i direct the comment to you personally?
I didnt "choose" to live here... I was born here.

Quote:
Comparing different regional area's will always be a mindfield. I don't understand the lack of independant competition bit though, Matilda's and IFS are all over the place?
No they are not all over the place.... Most regional centres only have the big 3, Caltex, BP and Mobil, or a Woolies owned "Petrol Plus"

United is seen in a lot of the larger cities, but at 1 to 2 cents cheaper its hardly what id call competitive.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #20
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Sorry did i direct the comment to you personally?
I didnt "choose" to live here... I was born here.

No they are not all over the place.... Most regional centres only have the big 3, Caltex, BP and Mobil, or a Woolies owned "Petrol Plus"

United is seen in a lot of the larger cities, but at 1 to 2 cents cheaper its hardly what id call competitive.
They were referring to Brisbane having a lack of local indepandent competition, not regional centres.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #21
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
based on what? how many servo's did they canvas in each area? i can drive from one side of any capital city to the other and find a much larger variation than 3cpl! it also doesn't take into account various incentives or discounts individual servos or franchises may be implementing.

its just a news story designed to get a reaction and its doing its job. i wonder if there is an election looming??
I dare say it was Fuel Trac who as a private organisation trying to sell pricing data have a vested interest in undermining any government plan to provide it for free. As for thae variation the pricing was an average not a site specific pricing. At any given time the price is 3cpl above that of other markets not service stations.
http://www.fueltrac.com.au/about_fueltrac.cfm
Old 12-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #22
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

poor chookums.. $1.94 litre and no good for sniffing where i am......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #23
burnz
VFII SS UTE

sydney prices daily, well a day late as usual..
http://nrmabusinesswise.com.au/cps/r...ntryprices.htm
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #24
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...812-120g2.html

Quote:
Qld now has dearest petrol in Australia August 12, 2010 - 11:31AM

Queensland has gone from having the cheapest petrol in Australia to the most expensive, Opposition Leader John-Paul Langbroek says.

Mr Langbroek said it was a sign of the state government's mismanagement that motorists in Queensland have suffered badly from petrol price increases.

This had come about through the scrapping of the fuel subsidy, increases in registration, and higher road tolls since the Bligh government's re-election 18 months ago, he said.

"Our petrol keeps going up to the highest level but we don't get the lows that we used to since we lost our fuel subsidy," Mr Langbroek told reporters.

"That's something Anna Bligh said (wouldn't happen) before an election, but changed her mind about afterwards.

"I've made it very clear that on the return of our Triple A credit rating we'll do everything we can to bring back the fuel subsidy.

"You can't get away from the irrefutable fact that Queensland now has the most expensive petrol in the country, it's the most expensive place to own and run a car, and a year-and-a-half ago it was the cheapest place in the country to own and run a car."
Old 12-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #25
Biggav
On the search for cubes..

as everyone as mostly said nil sympathy.

we here in WA pay over a 1.25 every day of the week, and thats on the cheap cycle with the dregs of the barrel 91 ron.

Current Projects
ED SOHC 3v 5.4 Cammed 5.4 3V Garage Ornament Project
Project Brimstone XE Wagon Phase 6 powered by Coyote

Long Gone Projects
EA Falcon SOHC 4.0 237rwhp
BA 3V 'The Taxi' DJR320 Kit, G6ET Wheels, Lunati Voodoo Cams 320rwhp
Biggav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #26
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggav
as everyone as mostly said nil sympathy.

we here in WA pay over a 1.25 every day of the week, and thats on the cheap cycle with the dregs of the barrel 91 ron.
Yeah but the oil tankers sail past Brisbane before Sydney and the average wages for the employee's at Brisbane is lower than that of Sydney. The taxs the refinery's pay in Brisbane are lower than that of Sydney's. Yet magically the price is higher and inflating faster than other capital cities.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #27
MaTTe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE

I can only dream of paying a $1.27 a litre

and they wonder why so many Kiwi's cross the ditch
Mate I sypathise with you kiwis, we were over there 18months ago, thinking our $1.15 a litre was expensive only to see that $1.75 a litre was CHEAP in NZ

pottery beige: $1.94 a litre and not even good for sniffing?!?! That is a conspiracy!

Personally I run the V8 around on gas for economy, and when i'm feeling a little anxious I flick it over to petrol for some money burning gas guzzling fun.......
Old 13-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #28
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont know why the qld govt was subsidising fuel anyway. no other state does. what does it achieve other than vote buying?
Old 28-08-2010, 12:00 AM   #29
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Oh well ... as QLDers have been getting it cheaper for years ... it's about time they paid a little more for a change ... so they know what it has been like for the rest of Australia all these years.

Hmmm ... seeing as they have caught up with the present with fuel prices ... they may just yet get daylight savings as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post