Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 23-07-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
mudwaa

Default King Springs

I know there has been a few threads on springs and everyone has their own opinion. Im getting King Superlows put on the Zetec next wednesday which i think will be a great addition to the whiteline swaybars already installed. As ive only done 16k ive opted to live with a lil less travel for now rather than pay for new struts.Who here other than BlackLS has Kings and what is your opinion of them. I cant see that an established ozzy company could produce something that is not of decent quality.

mudwaa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
opium
XR Experiment

King Springs have springs for the focus but none made specifically for the XR5..

I have been asked to leave my car a King springs on the Goldie for three day so they can make a set up but I need my car everyday and couldnt leave it there of that long..

Looking back on it maybe I should have jumped at the chance, I had only had the car three weeks and was loving it too much to go with out it and leave it with strangers for that long..
opium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2008, 11:52 PM   #3
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudwaa
I know there has been a few threads on springs and everyone has their own opinion. Im getting King Superlows put on the Zetec next wednesday which i think will be a great addition to the whiteline swaybars already installed. As ive only done 16k ive opted to live with a lil less travel for now rather than pay for new struts.Who here other than BlackLS has Kings and what is your opinion of them. I cant see that an established ozzy company could produce something that is not of decent quality.
its not that. its just that there are other companies that have BETTER products for the same amount of money if not less.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Eibach for example.
Old 24-07-2008, 09:51 PM   #5
want-a-XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so what's the cost for some Eibach springs? i'm looking at doing some suspension modifications to my focus. is the ride still good with eibach springs and the standard shocks? soo many options
want-a-XY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 10:41 PM   #6
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Cheap

http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...roducts_id=695
Old 25-07-2008, 09:16 PM   #7
mudwaa

So obviously it is one of two things. Australian steel doesnt compare with european steel or Australian manufacturing processes are below par. Im interested to know which it is. Or both?
Old 25-07-2008, 11:49 PM   #8
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
So obviously it is one of two things. Australian steel doesnt compare with european steel or Australian manufacturing processes are below par. Im interested to know which it is. Or both?
European engineers have more of a brain.

Old 26-07-2008, 01:41 AM   #9
zetec
Zoom Zoom

And toning down Sean's blunt answer...

Eibach has been producing springs for Focus and a multitude of global vehicles for decades. They're arguably THE biggest name in aftermarket springs in the world.

Simply saying if for the same money you can get Eibachs, don't for a millisecond hesitate.
Old 26-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #10
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

In my experience I've observed many, many racecars of all types using Eibach's so they must be doing something right.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 07:42 PM   #11
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
You forget Design, Engineering, Intellectual property, R&D investment, etc etc
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #12
mudwaa

Well i dont plan on doing any hot laps at "the Ring" any time soon so i guess kings will do me just fine.Thanks for all your replies.
Old 27-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #13
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Well i dont plan on doing any hot laps at "the Ring" any time soon so i guess kings will do me just fine.Thanks for all your replies.
Your welcome. And i hope you have a nice day

Old 27-07-2008, 01:50 PM   #14
zetec
Zoom Zoom

mudwaa just to explain some of the responses here...

There's a certain air of "disregard" shall we call it, towards Falcon drivers from this community at times. This is mainly brought about by the crap that large rear wheel drive owners dish out to hatchback drivers, using all kinds of invented and untested reasons as to why Foci and Fiestas etc are not "real" cars. Everything from "left had indicator stalks" to "front wheel drive" being thrown at us. Truth is, most rear wheel drive owners haven't ever actually driven one of these really well sorted hatches and knows little about what they're talking about. If they did, they'd know all those things aren't worth the oxygen used to talk about them.

King springs unfortunately carry a bit of a "Falcon" legacy, in that every EA - EL owner and his dog wants to fully super duper sick upgrade his awesome Falcon race car to King Springs, be they Super Lows, Mega Lows, Super Duper Lows, Ultra Lows, Uber Lows or Supercalafreakinawesome Lows. I think the reason for the negative reaction here is twofold. Firstly, for the stigma about Falcon drivers and secondly for the serious respect that Eibachs have amongst those who know - mainly the world's hatch owners

At the end of the day, you get what suits your budget and nobody here will cut you down for it if you do. It's just some of us jump at the chance to perhaps belittle a Falcon after years of stupid payouts against smaller cars.

Ultimately everyone does what they want, we just offer our opinion based on our experience and all of us SCREAM Eibach not only for it's quality, but for the respect they have earnt.

I for one would be out of my turbo ute and into my old (now sadly sold) 3 door Focus Zetec as a daily driver quicker than you can say "3 speed auto" given the chance.
Old 27-07-2008, 11:27 PM   #15
BlackLS
yum

Really the Kings are for dumping your car (or raising - for their 4WD range). They give less body roll and set the car off well, but I could imagine a european brand a bit better with ride firmness vs lowered height

Also Zetec20 had his on Kings.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2008, 11:35 PM   #16
BlackLS
yum

Zetec, well said... (ex EF driver - I miss the torque :( )

Mudwaa, do what you wish. You seem to be a cluey person and you'll enjoy a lowered Focus no matter how you achieve it.. Whether that be Eibach, Kings, coilovers, Angle-Grider engineering etc etc....

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #17
mudwaa

Got the King SL put in yesterday as well as have the rear spherical links replaced on the swaybar as one had failed (Whiteline replaced, no questions asked. Much thanks to them).LoooW it is. Much improved handling and really not as harsh as id been expecting. Not given it a really good run yet but first impressions are pretty good. Just hoping there isnt too much settling in as negotiating my driveway has gone from difficult to nigh impossible already.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:48 PM   #18
TEKILA
formerly AU_bullet

do you have any pics of the springs fitted mate??
TEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #19
blue_focus

I got king spring super lows in my 06 focus. Still got the standard struts. It does make the car look much better as well as a stiffer ride but they r nothin special.. If i had the choice now I would have just bought coil overs, or a better brand..
blue_focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2008, 07:42 PM   #20
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

http://www.streettuned.com.au/index....productId=1009
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post