Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 27-02-2020, 11:02 AM   #361
voicees
Starter Motor

Default Re: 2019 Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobzee View Post
so took mine in for a service, i had a very early model. Asked them to see if there were any software updates for the transmission

They did find an update, they said it was huge and took them almost two hours. Transmission is much smoother shifting into drive or reverse. Better yet though, i've got auto steer now! I didnt change anything, just turned on the cruise and it now steers itself

Was this a 2019/2020 upgrade??
I also have a late 2018 model. Do you have any details on what the software version...etc the update for the transmission was? I would like to go in prepared when I get my 1 year service.

I can confirm that I also do not have lane centering on my car - hopefully that gets added in after the service.

There's also a few rattles in the handles of the rear doors which become louder when going around a corner. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and is there an easy fix?
voicees is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2020, 11:34 AM   #362
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by voicees View Post
I also have a late 2018 model.
Can we just re-clarify for everyone's benefit, here, that this thread is for the current (2019 or later) Ford Focus SA, not the LZ (or LW).
CatonaPC© is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2020, 12:46 PM   #363
voicees
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatonaPC© View Post
Can we just re-clarify for everyone's benefit, here, that this thread is for the current (2019 or later) Ford Focus SA, not the LZ (or LW).
My SA Focus has a 2018 production date.
voicees is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2020, 12:52 PM   #364
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by voicees View Post
My SA Focus has a 2018 production date.
Of course! That's entirely possible. Just thrown by the year shown on the thread, which by rights should show 2018, not 2019.
Old 27-02-2020, 06:54 PM   #365
CatonaPC©

Default Re: SA (2018) Ford Focus

Thread title now changed to more accurately reflect the specific model Focus.
Old 28-02-2020, 03:08 PM   #366
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

A.K.A. as the Focus Mk IV? LR, LS, LT, LV and now the S.A. are all local nomenclatures, yes?

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2020, 03:28 PM   #367
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
A.K.A. as the Focus Mk IV?
Yes.

Quote:
LR, LS, LT, LV and now the S.A. are all local nomenclatures, yes?
Yes.
This user likes this post:
Old 01-03-2020, 02:58 AM   #368
RadioactiveX
Diesel Motor

Anyone have the new ST yet?
RadioactiveX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2020, 09:36 AM   #369
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anybody pick up on Kay Hart (MD Ford Au) saying Ford Au might drop (cease importing)the Focus.
So they dropped the sedan.
Dropped the diesel. Dropped the base model. Dropped the sedan. Dropped the manual.
Slammed the price up.
And sales are low.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2020, 10:14 AM   #370
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Anybody pick up on Kay Hart (MD Ford Au) saying Ford Au might drop (cease importing)the Focus.
Not sure where you got your information from, but if anything, the current Focus is selling a lot better than Ford anticipated. I see more of these on the road than the LZ Focus. Yes, they're not plentiful, but they are selling.

As for dropping the Focus, I would think Ford might not want to put all its eggs into the SUV basket like it has in the US. It only takes a fuel price spike, and SUV sales will plummet.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:38 AM   #371
RadioactiveX
Diesel Motor

Quote:
Not sure where you got your information from, but if anything, the current Focus is selling a lot better than Ford anticipated. I see more of these on the road than the LZ Focus. Yes, they're not plentiful, but they are selling.
Indeed. In its first year, it's good to see there's few of them around already. Other cars, like the Civic, it took a year before I actually start to see one on the road.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:31 PM   #372
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Puma small SUV coming later this year.
Focus sales are woeful 200 odd a month.
If Puma takes buyers away from Focus I guess it’s the end.
I m pretty sour there is no manual. My Lz is due for replacement soon and the SA would be ideal.
However no manual so looks like a manual golf would be best option or the Koreans with the 1.6 turbo manual Elantra/I 30.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:07 PM   #373
cappie

I've been checking my oil every few weeks and over the past few months I've noticed the dipstick level decreasing every few weeks.
I checked it this morning and it was down to the last hole on the dipstick - always checked when cold.
Took the car to the selling dealership and was advised that this is normal consumption for this engine. The oil capacity is 4L and the dipstick shows 1 Litre, so if the dipstick is way at the bottom, signifies there is still 3L of oil remaining.
I was told to expect that by every service in future the dipstick should be down to the lower level - normal consumption of oil for this engine. Gotta love Euro engines....
cappie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2020, 02:28 PM   #374
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappie View Post
. . . and was advised that this is normal consumption for this engine. The oil capacity is 4L and the dipstick shows 1 Litre, so if the dipstick is way at the bottom, signifies there is still 3L of oil remaining.
I was told to expect that by every service in future the dipstick should be down to the lower level - normal consumption of oil for this engine. Gotta love Euro engines....
Yes, happened to me too with my Active. I was past the lower hole when I took it in to have it checked out. Ended up putting 500ml in to top it up. (Good to know there's still plenty in.)

Yes, gotta love Euro engines.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:16 AM   #375
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

v facts February.
New SA focus sales-169
Old 06-03-2020, 12:12 PM   #376
CatonaPC©

Quote:
v facts February.
New SA focus sales-169
Is that better than expected?
Old 06-03-2020, 01:05 PM   #377
KosCo

Nice to know that I drive a very exclusive vehicle and not one of those common ones.
KosCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2020, 03:53 PM   #378
KosCo

Quote:
v facts February.
New SA focus sales-169

Surely these figures put the SA into a more exclusive category than those common cars like MB or BMW.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:07 PM   #379
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe at risk of going the road of zb Commodore.
Kay Hart is reviewing its place in the Australian market.
Golf sold nearly 1200 in February.
Both built in Germany.
In many ways perhaps Focus is the better car.
But few are buying.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:51 PM   #380
KosCo

Quote:
Maybe at risk of going the road of zb Commodore.
Kay Hart is reviewing its place in the Australian market.
Golf sold nearly 1200 in February.
Both built in Germany.
In many ways perhaps Focus is the better car.
But few are buying.

Sad but probably true. We have had an LW, LZ and now SA. The LW is now owned by another family member and still going quite well. We currently have the LZ and SA and both of these are very good cars and hope the continue to keep going well. Our cars are leased for 3 years and we then buy them out but am now thinking there will not be another Focus after the SA as I can't see Ford continuing with the Focus. So in 2.5 years time we probably will be looking for the next lease car. Hoping maybe electric car by then.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:02 PM   #381
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The introduction of Puma will put further pressure on Focus.
Is the LW a manual? Although my wife’s 2012 Fiesta is with powershift auto had ceramic clutches put in 2 years ago and is great.
My Lz will be up to 145000 kms this year.
I m thinking a near new 6 speed manual Golf is the only affordable manual drivers car out there and some of the 1.6 turbo Huyundai.
I drove an Sa as a loan car while back nice car but I’m a better driver with a manual box.
I think electric cars will be a good 6 years plus before they are affordable.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:00 AM   #382
KosCo

Quote:
The introduction of Puma will put further pressure on Focus.
Is the LW a manual?
I think electric cars will be a good 6 years plus before they are affordable.

All of our cars have been automatics. Spent many years driving manuals but have become lazy and enjoy the autos. The LW had a couple of attempts of having the shudder taken out of the gearbox. Finally, they seemed to have come up with a solution and it was running quite well for the last 3 years. But still prefer the autos on the LZ, SA.
I believe the Puma might have a DCT.
Yes, the price difference for an electric car can buy a lot of petrol.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:23 PM   #383
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Puma will be interesting.
I suspect Ford will start its price at 30k on road dearer than its competitors.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:31 PM   #384
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Puma will be interesting.
I suspect Ford will start its price at 30k on road dearer than its competitors.
Would there be any reason getting a Focus over the Puma at that price point?

I heard the Puma will be getting a purely petrol version here. Something not available in the UK IIRC.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2020, 05:24 PM   #385
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
Would there be any reason getting a Focus over the Puma at that price point?

I heard the Puma will be getting a purely petrol version here. Something not available in the UK IIRC.
I suppose it depends what size motor they drop into AU Puma.
If they make it say a 1.0 litre 3 cyl turbo Focus still has a place as a more powerful car.
If Ford drop the 134kw 1.5 3 cyl turbo same as Focus yes why would you buy Focus. Ford will have the handling sorted on Puma.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:23 PM   #386
CatonaPC©

Re: electric cars. I don't think they will catch on here. Hybrids, yes, but not full electric. Government might want to talk up electric cars, but the rhetoric won't sit well after the power grid collapses when all those owners plug them in after they get back from work. There's been more than a few articles written about the poor state of our electric infrastructure. And let's not forget about what to do with all those discarded electric car batteries when they wear out.
Old 13-03-2020, 01:44 PM   #387
~Spyne~

Any ST-Line wagon owners here able to give feedback?
I'm looking to upgrade from my 2007 TDCi LT and the new wagon is on the short list. Only thing (on paper) I don't like is lack of rear air vents and the higher price once you option Driver Assist package.
Going up against Cerato GT, Elantra Sport and Skoda Octavia.
Old 17-03-2020, 01:14 PM   #388
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Spyne~ View Post
Any ST-Line wagon owners here able to give feedback?
. . . I don't like is lack of rear air vents
. . . Going up against Cerato GT, Elantra Sport and Skoda Octavia.
I don't have the wagon, but I can confirm there a vents underneath the front seats which I presume would be for heating. The two front centre vents on the dash are quite effective and can blow a lot of air to the rear.

Out of the list you given, I think the Octavia might be the only one with a wagon variation. So the other two aren't in the same league unless having a wagon isn't a huge factor in your decision.

And as an Active owner, I'd say that with the exception of the Skoda, the other two aren't in the same class as the Focus. So, I'd certainly give the Focus wagon serious consideration even if the safety pack is an extra. In this current climate, you'd probably get a good deal.
Old 17-03-2020, 07:17 PM   #389
~Spyne~

Quote:
I don't have the wagon, but I can confirm there a vents underneath the front seats which I presume would be for heating. The two front centre vents on the dash are quite effective and can blow a lot of air to the rear.

Out of the list you given, I think the Octavia might be the only one with a wagon variation. So the other two aren't in the same league unless having a wagon isn't a huge factor in your decision.

And as an Active owner, I'd say that with the exception of the Skoda, the other two aren't in the same class as the Focus. So, I'd certainly give the Focus wagon serious consideration even if the safety pack is an extra. In this current climate, you'd probably get a good deal.
Thanks Cantona.
Funny you say there ARE vents under the seats - I had a dealer email me back saying he just physically looked and there were NO vents under the seats...
Yes, the Octavia is probably at the top of my list at the moment - it's just such a nice vehicle to be in. Can get it in a manual too, if I can't be convinced of DSG reliability long-term.
Not locked into a wagon, just the standard Focus hatch is a tad small on the storage side, compared to the Octavia/Cerato sedan/Elantra which all have quite large boots.
Anyway, current economic uncertainty means I'll probably hold off any large purchases until we know what's happening with people's jobs/pay/mortgages/etc.
Old 18-03-2020, 12:57 AM   #390
RadioactiveX
Diesel Motor

I really like the look of the new Focus, it is now growing on me, even though I don't own one
But two owners reported about the oil consumption issue, which the dealer cited as normal?
I think engines are not supposed to consume that much oil, unless it is a diesel! :pun intended:

Anyways, where do you think the oil goes? and the soot it would leave? I question the longevity of this engine.