Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-03-2019, 07:43 AM   #931
08ESE

Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

ive had an on and off battle over the last 10 years myself. Recently ive had a bout of anxiety and insomnia

the doctors were quick to put me on anti depressants ( again ) and i found, although they helped with the anxiety... the sleep never returned.

after a lot of dr googling, i discovered i was potassium deficient.... i had not slept in 3 weeks. The day i thought i may be low on potassium, i ate a ton of bananas and made a spagetti bol with ****loads of tomato paste in it....

first night i slept in 3 weeks. Since discovering this, i make sure i get plenty of electrolytes in my water ( living mainly on rain water isnt a good thing )

i think a lot of doctors could help people with a simple blood test. gaba and l theanine suppliments also worked wonders for me.
08ESE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-03-2019, 07:35 AM   #932
Grega

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08ESE View Post
ive had an on and off battle over the last 10 years myself. Recently ive had a bout of anxiety and insomnia

the doctors were quick to put me on anti depressants ( again ) and i found, although they helped with the anxiety... the sleep never returned.

after a lot of dr googling, i discovered i was potassium deficient.... i had not slept in 3 weeks. The day i thought i may be low on potassium, i ate a ton of bananas and made a spagetti bol with ****loads of tomato paste in it....

first night i slept in 3 weeks. Since discovering this, i make sure i get plenty of electrolytes in my water ( living mainly on rain water isnt a good thing )

i think a lot of doctors could help people with a simple blood test. gaba and l theanine suppliments also worked wonders for me.
you make some really interesting points here.

i saw a psych some years back who recommended vitamin supplements and other bits and pieces which really turned me around - really helped.

naturally due to the root cause of my depression not being rectified i fell back into the hole i was in but for a while there i was really quite good. i hope to soon get back to that place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damoose
You like it so much now the tig trolley is green..
Grega is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2019, 07:37 AM   #933
Grega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_BA2003 View Post
Effexor... god I forgot about that tablet. Was on it for 3 weeks in feb 2001.... had horrible, horrible side effects
i had to ditch the 150mg of that ****. it ruined me. i put myself back to 75mg which i can cope with, the side affects of the 150mg almost ****ing killed me. 75mg is bearable.

interestingly same psych said to me some years ago ; you don't need pills to fix your problem ; pills don't fix a broken and lonely heart.

Quote:
3 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2019, 09:31 PM   #934
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’m on the other side of a rough couple of months of anxiety. Had 3 weeks of holiday, and came back not relaxed. Then a few family things got dumped on top, my independent mum had a health scare involving an ambulance call out , my uncle died suddenly, then my head is filled with thoughts of the meaning of life on repeat. I want to fix things and make them better but some things are out of my control. My rhumatoid arthritis then flares up, meaning my natural outlet (physical work on weekends) has to take a backseat-making me anxious. Then one day I cracked it at the most simple thing....... commercial radio. Yep, hearing the.same.thing.every.god.damn.day I realised was making me anxious, so I drove around for 2 weeks in complete silence.
Then the anxiety manifested itself in my body. Chest pains and headaches. Making me think I’m having a heart attack or aneurism ( which I know wasn’t happening) but making me more anxious.
Then finally, I hopped in the car one morning and dropped my daughter to school, I was on my way to my first customer when it clicked. I was not listening for the SIGNS my body was giving me, I’ve done all this before, and dealt with it. I chucked a u turn at 9am and went to my local clinic. Got some serapax, drove home, called in sick, then slept all day exhausted. It’s tough fighting with your brain and your body at the same time.
It took me a couple of days to feel better, now 2 weeks later, some days are lower than others, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

So, gents, bottom line, you are in charge of you, listen for the signs and go see a doctor, powering on like a trooper is no good if you will hit a wall.
See what is happening in this discussion? We are normalising mental heath conversation.....go team.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 16-03-2019, 12:10 PM   #935
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
I’m on the other side of a rough couple of months of anxiety. Had 3 weeks of holiday, and came back not relaxed. Then a few family things got dumped on top, my independent mum had a health scare involving an ambulance call out , my uncle died suddenly, then my head is filled with thoughts of the meaning of life on repeat. I want to fix things and make them better but some things are out of my control. My rhumatoid arthritis then flares up, meaning my natural outlet (physical work on weekends) has to take a backseat-making me anxious. Then one day I cracked it at the most simple thing....... commercial radio. Yep, hearing the.same.thing.every.god.damn.day I realised was making me anxious, so I drove around for 2 weeks in complete silence.
Then the anxiety manifested itself in my body. Chest pains and headaches. Making me think I’m having a heart attack or aneurism ( which I know wasn’t happening) but making me more anxious.
Then finally, I hopped in the car one morning and dropped my daughter to school, I was on my way to my first customer when it clicked. I was not listening for the SIGNS my body was giving me, I’ve done all this before, and dealt with it. I chucked a u turn at 9am and went to my local clinic. Got some serapax, drove home, called in sick, then slept all day exhausted. It’s tough fighting with your brain and your body at the same time.
It took me a couple of days to feel better, now 2 weeks later, some days are lower than others, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

So, gents, bottom line, you are in charge of you, listen for the signs and go see a doctor, powering on like a trooper is no good if you will hit a wall.
See what is happening in this discussion? We are normalising mental heath conversation.....go team.
Glad to hear you're feeling better, reading that my own anxiety went through the roof, especially when I got to the bit where you said 'Then finally, I hopped in the car one morning' I was expecting you to follow it up with 'and saw a Picanto which I thought might be BENT_8 and it tipped me over the edge'...
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2019, 08:07 PM   #936
Vekgib

I'm 53. I've been taking medication for depression, diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol for 15 years. Until about a month ago. I came to the conclusion that none of it was working. So, I stopped all medication and seeing doctors and am now just letting nature take its course.
I have an actual date for early next year in mind where, if things haven't improved by then, I'm out. I can't cope anymore.

Stuff this,I'm going to play a few shots & see what happens.
Vekgib is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2019, 11:26 PM   #937
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Wow man, im sorry to hear that, you're obviously doing it pretty tough at the minute but im glad you've taken the opportunity to reach out and share your feelings.
None of us are trained professionals, but were here to listen if that helps.

I can sort of relate to where you're coming from, apart from the diabetes, mind you at around 130kg's its probably only a matter of time if I don't get my **** into gear again and do some walking.
I find walking to be quite beneficial, I've got a dodgy knee but I do my best to push through it in order to walk when I can as I find the time alone in the fresh air an opportunity to think about things a little clearer, never been one for the Gym environment.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2019, 02:00 PM   #938
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vekgib View Post
I'm 53. I've been taking medication for depression, diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol for 15 years. Until about a month ago. I came to the conclusion that none of it was working. So, I stopped all medication and seeing doctors and am now just letting nature take its course.
I have an actual date for early next year in mind where, if things haven't improved by then, I'm out. I can't cope anymore.
Mate with your last comment please find someone to talk to or new doctor. If you can't think of yourself, consider the people around you. I have witnessed the devastation first hand to friends and family, also had the chance to possibly help and do regret not saying anything.
All the best Mark,,,
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2019, 07:12 PM   #939
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:

I hope things have improved for you.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2019, 12:26 PM   #940
Grega

Hi.

I'm intently listening in to an RUOK presentation at the moment, so just reaching out to folks to say RUOK? I know from my own personal experience this might seem like lip service and, if you're in that space that I have been in, you won't want to hear it and it will bounce off the sides. Just know there are people out there who love you and really want you to stick around. You probably won't want to hear that, but, if you do, then, its OK - you'll get through it.

Quote:
6 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2019, 01:36 PM   #941
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Hey vekgib,

Been a while since I've been in this thread and just saw your post. And it's shocked me a little. As per the other posts, please reach out to someone and talk through your situation with them, whilst most of us may not be able to help solve your problems, maybe just talking to someone will be a first good step.

If it's not a doctor, or a family member, or a friend, try one of the following:

Lifeline 13 11 14
Beyond Blue 1300 224 636
Men's Helpline 1300 78 99 78

Or if you prefer, chat with someone on here. PM me if you feel that will help and I'll give you my mobile number.

Just talk to someone mate. If you feel like you are a burden to your family and/or friends, I can assure you that there will be a lot more people who will miss you than those who will be relieved you are gone.

Please come back in here and let us know how you are going. We just want to make sure you're ok.

Please take care of yourself.

Craig

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2020, 05:57 PM   #942
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Hey vekgib,

Been a while since I've been in this thread and just saw your post. And it's shocked me a little. As per the other posts, please reach out to someone and talk through your situation with them, whilst most of us may not be able to help solve your problems, maybe just talking to someone will be a first good step.

If it's not a doctor, or a family member, or a friend, try one of the following:

Lifeline 13 11 14
Beyond Blue 1300 224 636
Men's Helpline 1300 78 99 78

Or if you prefer, chat with someone on here. PM me if you feel that will help and I'll give you my mobile number.

Just talk to someone mate. If you feel like you are a burden to your family and/or friends, I can assure you that there will be a lot more people who will miss you than those who will be relieved you are gone.

Please come back in here and let us know how you are going. We just want to make sure you're ok.

Please take care of yourself.

Craig
Vekgib logged on to this site yesterday.

http://fordforums.com.au/member.php?u=2228554

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 12-01-2020, 07:54 PM   #943
Vekgib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Vekgib logged on to this site yesterday.

http://fordforums.com.au/member.php?u=2228554

Thank you to everyone who commented on my last post on this thread.
Things are not perfect, but they are significantly better than when I typed that post. A new doctor, new medication, and most importantly, a new outlook have all contributed.
As I said, I'm not great, but in a better place. Occasionally, I take a step or two backwards. But who doesn't at some stage ?
Thank you again gentlemen. Although "thank you" doesn't say enough. Reading your comments make for a humbling experience.
FWIW, the date I had in mind was this Thursday, 16 January. It's unfortunately significant to my dad ( R.I.P ) and I.
But I'll be logging in on Thursday and Friday. And hopefully for a long time after that.
Gentlemen, if any of you are struggling, please reach out. To a friend, a doctor, a workmate, even people you've never met on an internet forum.
I did, and I'm glad.
It's OK to say you're not OK.

Old 12-01-2020, 08:36 PM   #944
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Thank you, truly.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2020, 08:51 PM   #945
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Things are not perfect, but they are significantly better than when I typed that post. A new doctor, new medication, and most importantly, a new outlook have all contributed.
As I said, I'm not great, but in a better place. Occasionally, I take a step or two backwards. But who doesn't at some stage ?
Thank you again gentlemen. Although "thank you" doesn't say enough. Reading your comments make for a humbling experience.
FWIW, the date I had in mind was this Thursday, 16 January. It's unfortunately significant to my dad ( R.I.P ) and I.
But I'll be logging in on Thursday and Friday. And hopefully for a long time after that.
Gentlemen, if any of you are struggling, please reach out. To a friend, a doctor, a workmate, even people you've never met on an internet forum.
I did, and I'm glad.
Mate I'm glad you are doing better.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2020, 11:02 PM   #946
sr71

This time last year, 2 friends decided to end their life. The one who filled his belly with pills, died. The other one drove to work and tied a noose to his truck, and survived. He was too heavy, and broke the rope.
I'm grateful that the 2nd friend made it. He has done it tough since, but getting there. He know's he is loved by many.
The first guy... I wish I'd called him. I wish he'd called me...

I recall this thread starting, and followed it for a while. I'm going to go back and read it. Just reading this page, there's some courageous posts.
Thank you for your honesty. Without a doubt, you will help someone.
With Gratitude and Respect.
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2020, 08:13 AM   #947
ArnoldKMB
Starter Motor

Quote:
I did, and I'm glad.
glad you're ok mate hope to see you only doing better from now on. Thursday 16 Jan is in a few days, stay strong!
Old 13-01-2020, 08:41 AM   #948
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to hear you’re turning the corner (or at least attempting to V).
I had a bad year last year, with a move, illness in the family, and getting white-anted at work.
I reached out to a new doctor, and she’s been fantastic. I went onto SSRI’s, and started to see a councillor.
If going onto meds, have a good talk with your doc, and do some research. I was almost locked away due to adverse effects of Escalitopram. I’ve played around a bit with the dose since (in consultation with the doc).
After New Year, Inwas feeling pretty good, and gave them away. Told the doc around a week later. Whilst she is supportive, I’m pretty sure that she’s worried.
The difficulty is knowing whether I’m feeling better ‘cos the meds are finally working, or if I have turned a corner.
I still have a good support network, including a session with my councillor this week.
I will say ‘though, that the physical symptoms from withdrawal are f@#$ horrible! Doc warned me that I should have eased off, not cold turkey. Giving the booze a miss too, which has been good, although I have been having some on the weekend. Balancing the booze vs booze-free days, I’m going to try for a total cut. Any social events, I can still have a drink, and not feel guilty.
Enough rambling!
Stay strong folks, put one foot in front of the other, if that’s all you can do. Where there’s life, there’s hope. Talking to people has been the best thing for me.
Hoping I can maintain the course.
Solidarity!
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2020, 09:20 AM   #949
Grega

Vekgib good to hear things are looking up mate, thats great.

This time of year is a very difficult time for people who suffer from Anxiety and Depression - I struggle with it greatly and prefer to work through it so I can avoid what I call 'the feels' from it and all the other stuff that goes with it.

Its almost a year now since I tried to disappear from existence, I am also still here, have changed meds and pretty much turned my life around, the environment /situation I was in was not good for my mental health so I have left part of that behind and I am far better as a result. I've also learnt alot about myself (I sit on the ASD spectrum which has helped me understand why I am the way I am) and most importantly I am looking after myself and provided self care for myself which has helped in leaps and bounds.

There will be so many people reading this thread who are in a really bad place ; some of this stuff is really hard to take in as you may not be ready to hear it yet / take the information on board, just take it one step at a time, one foot after the other and get through to a better place.

With medication I am on Fluoxetine and weened off Effexor, Effexor was not good for me, Fluoxetine is much better and helps me greatly. I have made peace with the fact that I will be on this for the rest of my days ; its OK its just because of who I am and society that I need to work in that is the result of my needed assistance, if I could change it up entirely I could do without them but, we all need to make our way through the system ; a little help, helps you get by.

Quote:
6 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2020, 06:18 PM   #950
Vekgib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grega View Post

Its almost a year now since I tried to disappear from existence, I am also still here, have changed meds and pretty much turned my life around, the environment /situation I was in was not good for my mental health so I have left part of that behind and I am far better as a result.
Thank you for your kind words. It's good to see that you are still here.
Hang in there.
Tough times don't last but tough people do.

5 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2020, 07:49 PM   #951
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
I did, and I'm glad.
Great stuff................
Old 20-01-2020, 12:58 PM   #952
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back on the meds :-(
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2020, 01:02 PM   #953
Grega

@vekgib where are you man. hope you are OK out there.
@whitelion mate, most of the population is, you're not alone.

its strange how life works, last week i was fantastic, this week i'm back at rock bottom zero. life sure piles it on. and its my anniversary on Monday.

if anyone has a good way of turning off feelings completely can you please reach out and let me know?

stay safe people.

Quote:
4 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2020, 07:09 PM   #954
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion65 View Post
Back on the meds :-(
I came to terms with my situation knowing:

- a good friend of mine is on a cocktail of drugs because of renal failure to prevent his body rejecting his donated kidney
- my Godmother has been a diabetic for decades so has to take insulin on a daily basis
- another friend of mine who is younger than me has to take medication to reduce his blood pressure. And he only started taking the medication after he had a minor stroke in his early 40s

So if I need to take on table a day for my anxiety/panic attacks then so be it. A small price to pay.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 20-01-2020, 10:31 PM   #955
Grega

nailed it @syndrome.
i also take blood pressure meds as i have high blood pressure.

my take is this ; my brain works very differently to the masses, i typically do not fit in, as i sit on the ASD spectrum, and have ADD, something i only learnt just this year, but i have struggled with forever.

fluoxetine helps me keep things in check, thats all. look at it this way, if your car was built before 1987 and had a cast iron head and was at risk from hammering the valves you'd give it a bit of upper cylinder head lubricant in the tank to help it get by. its a poor analogy but to car guys will have relevance.

Quote:
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2020, 11:01 PM   #956
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try 10 years of working for poor wages plus lots of O.T to make decent money, being bullied enough to be forced to quit job (had enuff anyways), lost 60,000k due to living without dole for 6 months, then got thrown out of house for heavy driniking and depression due to lack of work, Schizzophrenia, weight gain. Docs and Phsyciatrists for 5 years while also trying to patch up relationship for 4 years after seperation and keep spending time with my son.

Then, 9 months ago, she tells me she been online dating and screwing around for about 3 months b4 telling me!!!!!!!!!!

Now 'I" have an IVO 'on me' for about another 6 months and only get to see my son when 'its' o.k'???

Better off turning Gay FFS!!!!!!!!!!!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-01-2020, 03:38 PM   #957
Grega

sorry BF260-BOSS

i had the rug pulled out from under me. i fell in love with another girl ; probably too quickly to be honest, she needed to 'recalibrate' which i took as being the end, was chastised for taking it that way only to find a week later that she doesn't want to be a girlfriend any more and doesnt have time.

its my destiny to be alone.

Quote:
Old 30-01-2020, 08:21 PM   #958
Grega

PS: lifeline aside from empathy are absolutely useless. its only a job and call volumes are what matter. i hope i make it.

Quote:
Old 31-03-2020, 07:25 PM   #959
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Bringing this thread back to the top.

With whats happening at the moment it's vital we reach out to those who may need it.

A simple "how are you" or a smile is all it takes sometime to ease the burden.

Myself, I am dealing with it all much better than I would have 12 months ago.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2020, 08:14 PM   #960
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Bringing this thread back to the top.

With whats happening at the moment it's vital we reach out to those who may need it.

A simple "how are you" or a smile is all it takes sometime to ease the burden.

Myself, I am dealing with it all much better than I would have 12 months ago.
I think we are fortunate to find ourselves here, an online forum that has, on many occasions, done so much more than simply be a chat room.

I got a job from here and that led me to my current job.

One guy bought a car and wanted someone to help him drive it back from Brisbane to Darwin, organised in a day. Great thread of the trip (can't find it, though).

There are many examples here, it is a good place to reach into and out from.

Try and stay positive.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post