Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-02-2020, 04:00 PM   #3031
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Geez! I hate that!

Waiting for damn spare parts to arrive, truck off the road. Thought they would arrive this morning but... cue

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #3032
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Pompe à eau?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2020, 04:07 PM   #3033
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Yep, water pump (s) but its not coming from France Ballarat but it might as well be France.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2020, 05:18 PM   #3034
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dunno about Vic and NSW but I can get something delivered from Perth or Adelaide quicker than Melb or even Hobart.
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2020, 06:56 AM   #3035
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Dunno about Vic and NSW but I can get something delivered from Perth or Adelaide quicker than Melb or even Hobart.
I've had stuff delivered from the US quicker then something within Sydney metro itself.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-02-2020, 08:19 AM   #3036
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Just around the corner, this morning.

If regs are stupid, they should be dropped. If they’re sensible they should be upheld. Given the job in question has a healthy profit margin, I reckon they’re just taking the pea-eye-double ess and winging it.
Old 27-02-2020, 05:08 PM   #3037
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Street red post boxes.

Have one across the road. Used to be that collection was by 6pm. Then a few months back it was changed to 3pm. No worries.

Went out at 2pm and there is a new sticker saying collection is now 12 noon.

Hop in the car to drive to the local PO. Drive past another box along the way.

Where are all the collection time stickers? On the footpath side of course, so if I was in a car I would need to stop to get out and read the time.

Why couldn't' they just put the stickers on the street side?

Why does a Sydney suburban suburb box have a noon collection time? My parents live in the Southern Highlands and that used to be 3pm, wonder what it is now?

Oh, and do you think you can find these collection times online anywhere?

Of course not....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2020, 08:25 PM   #3038
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why couldn't' they just put the stickers on the street side? I would need to stop to get out and read the time.
knowing Seedney you would be blocking traffic

My parents live in the Southern Highlands and that used to be 3pm, wonder what it is now? pickup 6AM yesterday
Old 28-02-2020, 06:52 AM   #3039
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Street red post boxes.

Have one across the road. Used to be that collection was by 6pm. Then a few months back it was changed to 3pm. No worries.

Went out at 2pm and there is a new sticker saying collection is now 12 noon.

Hop in the car to drive to the local PO. Drive past another box along the way.

Where are all the collection time stickers? On the footpath side of course, so if I was in a car I would need to stop to get out and read the time.

Why couldn't' they just put the stickers on the street side?

Why does a Sydney suburban suburb box have a noon collection time? My parents live in the Southern Highlands and that used to be 3pm, wonder what it is now?

Oh, and do you think you can find these collection times online anywhere?

Of course not....
Once a week ... on a Monday between 2 and 3am.
Thank you come again.

Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2020, 05:45 PM   #3040
.:4:.
Kicking back

Had to rent a trailer mount cherry picker today. Nothing unusual there. But what annoys me a bit is they park the cherry pickers in the order they return, but when you hire, this place does the shuffle and sends them in order of the crappiest first. I didnt have to tow far, but the inertia brakes on the trailer didnt work. Inertia brakes are a bit clunky when taking off, but thats normal. Theyre fine slowing down when they're working. But its annoying when every time you slow down the trailer bashes against the towbar. And later on i sent my apprentice up to change a light, only because i dont trust him being aggressive enough with car park traffic if he is spotting me. And he goes to come down and the basket controls had nothing. Foot on the dead man padal and nothing. He checks the emergengy stop button, it not pressed but hits it and resets it a few times, nothing. The ground controls worked so i bought him down. A few more hits of the basket emergency stop and it was back up again. Returning the lift i told the staff that the brakes are stuffed and the stop button is faulty. Normally when you report faults they take the thing to the workshop up the back. Not these blokes, they just parked it up for the next poor person to rent and have the same issues.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2020, 07:06 PM   #3041
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Had to rent a trailer mount cherry picker today. Nothing unusual there. But what annoys me a bit is they park the cherry pickers in the order they return, but when you hire, this place does the shuffle and sends them in order of the crappiest first. I didnt have to tow far, but the inertia brakes on the trailer didnt work. Inertia brakes are a bit clunky when taking off, but thats normal. Theyre fine slowing down when they're working. But its annoying when every time you slow down the trailer bashes against the towbar. And later on i sent my apprentice up to change a light, only because i dont trust him being aggressive enough with car park traffic if he is spotting me. And he goes to come down and the basket controls had nothing. Foot on the dead man padal and nothing. He checks the emergengy stop button, it not pressed but hits it and resets it a few times, nothing. The ground controls worked so i bought him down. A few more hits of the basket emergency stop and it was back up again. Returning the lift i told the staff that the brakes are stuffed and the stop button is faulty. Normally when you report faults they take the thing to the workshop up the back. Not these blokes, they just parked it up for the next poor person to rent and have the same issues.
Name and shame.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2020, 08:13 PM   #3042
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossy View Post
Name and shame.
Cant be doing that mate. Its an equiptment hire place thats like any normal chain business, there's branches everywhere. I dunno if its franchises or not. Dunno if its a company directive or a franchise owners instruction. I know a loose thing or 2 about that. My dad when he was alive was part owner of a company that had over 400 franchises country wide. So the company itself doesnt need to be shamed. The little guys who buy into the name, i understand they get corperate advice etc, but also i understand it may just be lazy staff. Maybe it was just a bum employee dropping the ball putting the defective lift back into circulation. Maybe it was a new employee learning the ropes. Maybe the last person who rented had never towed a trailer with basic inertia brakes so failed brakes they thought was normal. Maybe i was the first person to use the lift when the emergency stop button failed. Yes the brakes were shot, but it was a solid 6 hours of use before the emergency stop button played up.
Old 28-02-2020, 08:42 PM   #3043
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Did you tell your manager or notify workcover?
Old 28-02-2020, 09:21 PM   #3044
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Did you tell your manager or notify workcover?
My manager knew. He is a good mate of mine. No need to escalate to workcover. I didnt need to back off the release valves for the hydraulics, there was never any danger to persons or property. Worst case i would have resleased the emergency valves to get the young bloke down safely, called the hire place to say come pick up your steaming piece of ****.
Old 28-02-2020, 09:28 PM   #3045
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
My manager knew. He is a good mate of mine. No need to escalate to workcover. I didnt need to back off the release valves for the hydraulics, there was never any danger to persons or property. Worst case i would have resleased the emergency valves to get the young bloke down safely, called the hire place to say come pick up your steaming piece of ****.
So if the next person to hire it is on their own and has an accident you're ok as you told your manager (who probably couldn't care less) and not the manager of the hire company?
Old 28-02-2020, 09:34 PM   #3046
Kicking back

It was documented
Old 29-02-2020, 08:22 AM   #3047
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Threads in Forum : The Pits Supercars Parity Debate

actually I dont know what I really think.
Geez! I hate that...because this parity has gone so long and achieved/solved nothing
What made you feel good today? to see adults (?) still acting like children
Old 29-02-2020, 08:48 AM   #3048
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It was documented
Seems that you don’t want to tread on toes regarding the dangerous equipment that you hired.At times you allude to safety measures,then you don’t want to stir up any trouble over faulty brakes,then a faulty machine.How long would the apprentice have been stuck up in the air waiting to get down if he was on his own with no one there to lower the lift.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-02-2020, 09:50 AM   #3049
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But its annoying when every time you slow down the trailer bashes against the towbar.
That's normal, it's how they work.
Are you new to towing?

FWIW I think you've shown good common courtesy by telling them of the defects, any more would be meddling in someone else's business.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2020, 01:20 PM   #3050
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
That's normal, it's how they work.
Are you new to towing?

FWIW I think you've shown good common courtesy by telling them of the defects, any more would be meddling in someone else's business.
Not new to towing at all. Yes inertia brakes are clunky, but when they work its different to the trailer punching the car when you back off and it was unsettling the car. I have owned a boat on a braked trailer for almost 17 years. So have had to make adjustments over the years. Ill give the benefit of the doubt to they put it back because it was a friday arvo. Ive had it happen before where you go to pick up a rental on a monday morning and they scan it and the notes on their scan thingy say it needs repair so they dont send that one out. Also in the same token if its the first rental since a repair they tell you what repair was done so you know atleast. The lax attitude was what gets me a bit though. The last time i had returned a lift with a minor fault, ages ago, it was taken a bit more seriously and the guys were appologetic and halved the cost. It was a bad return spring on 1 lever that knocked out the other controls. Didnt take long to work that out and do the job, and 2 days later i rented the same lift, was told it was the first rental since the repair and what the repair was, the lift was fixed. Same mob i rented the one from yesterday, but actual customer service.
And dunno how long my aprenti would have been stuck in the air if he was alone. Reason being you never work off a lift without a spotter on the ground. Or without a licence for the equipment. Thats not being extra about workplace safety, its just common sense and avoiding any reason for workcover to pick you to pieces. Ive seen people get fines for the smallest of things over the years, like having a sticker on a hard hat on a construction site, even sitting on an esky at smoko.
Old 29-02-2020, 02:28 PM   #3051
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not new to towing at all. Yes inertia brakes are clunky, but when they work its different to the trailer punching the car when you back off and it was unsettling the car. I have owned a boat on a braked trailer for almost 17 years. So have had to make adjustments over the years. Ill give the benefit of the doubt to they put it back because it was a friday arvo. Ive had it happen before where you go to pick up a rental on a monday morning and they scan it and the notes on their scan thingy say it needs repair so they dont send that one out. Also in the same token if its the first rental since a repair they tell you what repair was done so you know atleast. The lax attitude was what gets me a bit though. The last time i had returned a lift with a minor fault, ages ago, it was taken a bit more seriously and the guys were appologetic and halved the cost. It was a bad return spring on 1 lever that knocked out the other controls. Didnt take long to work that out and do the job, and 2 days later i rented the same lift, was told it was the first rental since the repair and what the repair was, the lift was fixed. Same mob i rented the one from yesterday, but actual customer service.
And dunno how long my aprenti would have been stuck in the air if he was alone. Reason being you never work off a lift without a spotter on the ground. Or without a licence for the equipment. Thats not being extra about workplace safety, its just common sense and avoiding any reason for workcover to pick you to pieces. Ive seen people get fines for the smallest of things over the years, like having a sticker on a hard hat on a construction site, even sitting on an esky at smoko.
Sorry 4 but quite a few self employed tradies work on their own using all sorts of equipment.Maybe around Sydney where the unions run the show you work 2 up,but out in the bush where people are capable of looking after themselves better they generally don’t need another person gazing around whilst talking on the phone.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:14 AM   #3052
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Finding the hidden wasps’ nest.

Yep, I hate that!
2 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2020, 12:27 PM   #3053
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Finding the hidden wasps’ nest.

Yep, I hate that!
Before or after they stung you multiple times?
Old 02-03-2020, 01:02 PM   #3054
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

After!
2 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2020, 01:10 PM   #3055
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
After!
That sucks hard. At my last house i found a big wasp nest. Well, only after a wasp got stuck between the tongue of my shoe and my ankle. It got me 5 or 6 times then its mates came out to also have a go. Turns out i can run pretty fast.
4 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2020, 04:10 PM   #3056
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:

Did you note the fault in the log book. They can’t ignore it if it’s there and if they do and something happens work cover will ruin them
Giant Cranium is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2020, 10:15 AM   #3057
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Reporting a person to the police several weeks ago for fraud and identity theft after finding out they have ripped off thousands only for the Police to do nothing and watching the same person continue top rip off thousands each week.

Apparently they are waiting for the victims to come forward before they will take any action.

I had to visit 3 stations before someone would even take my report seriously...

'If you see something, say something'...

Yeah right.. what a bloody waste of my time.....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2020, 05:27 PM   #3058
Kicking back

I hate days at work like today. Because the majority of my clients are predominately working from home i had virtually nothing to do. I asked my manager if i could just stay home and be on call. He said no to that. So out of an 8 hour day i only had 3 hours of meaningful work and the rest down time. If i have nothing to do, id much rather do nothing at home. Of the 3 service guys, between us we maybe had enough work for 1 person for a day. And what annoys me the most is ive been asking for time off, but they have told the least useful guy with the least amount of leave to take the rest of the week off. To give sone perspective on how much work has dried up in a week. 1 building i went to today was 100% empty. Another had 3 completely empty floors and only a skeleton of maybe 15% of the normal staff.
Old 16-03-2020, 05:43 PM   #3059
MercuryT
Banned

Wrapping up food with Glad wrap or similar.

Just an absolute nightmare.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2020, 06:59 PM   #3060
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy Re: Geez! I hate that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
Wrapping up food with Glad wrap or similar.

Just an absolute nightmare.
Along with broken nails and paper cuts