Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 
Default Mitsubishi Triton Recalled

For those of you who have a triton in their other garage or have to put up with the atrociously agricultural vehicle that is the triton for work (muggins included), it's now being subject to a recall:

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/in.../itemId/986680

http://brisbanetimes.drive.com.au/mo...0601-wrs8.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisbanetimes
One of the biggest recalls in recent years is being conducted on the Mitsubishi Triton to repair a potential suspension fault.

Mitsubishi has been forced to recall more than 42,000 of its workhorse utes to fix a loose bolt that could lead to suspension failure.

The recall of 42,525 Tritons – every Triton model built between October 2006 and January 2009 - is one of the biggest vehicle recalls in Australia of the last few years.

Mitsubishi says the affected Tritons may not have had their bolts attaching the ball joints to the upper suspension arms tightened well enough.

The official recall notice filed with the Australian Government claims: "Bolts may become loose in service resulting in excessive suspension noise (knocking) and in the worst case the ball joint may become detached from the suspension arm resulting in the vehicle being unable to be driven."

Mitsubishi is contacting owners and placing ads requesting owners to contact a Mitsubishi dealer for the repairs, which will be conducted at no charge.

The repair involves checking and retightening the suspension ball joint retaining bolts.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

They sold 42525 of those things in the last 4 years?? sheezeeeeeee
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

yeah, i know hey. You'd hope that the vast majority of them was simply blind fleet choices rather than private individuals actually choosing them as the best in the bunch. Because i'll take a Ranger over a Triton any day, and that is honestly unbiased.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
yeah, i know hey. You'd hope that the vast majority of them was simply blind fleet choices rather than private individuals actually choosing them as the best in the bunch. Because i'll take a Ranger over a Triton any day, and that is honestly unbiased.
there is no way in hell id choose a ranger over a triton. im in the market for a dual cab now and after driving a ranger i can honestly say my 1999 rodeo is a better car.

ive narrowed my search to a hilux or navara
Old 01-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #5
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ranger must be the best of a bad bunch then. They are all a rubbish market segment. Cant handle, cant brake, cant ride, cant steer, crap build quality, uncomfortable, bad seats, cramped, expensive to run and service. Most of these vehicles are overpriced by $10,000. No wonder the Chinese are here to get a piece of the action.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
there is no way in hell id choose a ranger over a triton. im in the market for a dual cab now and after driving a ranger i can honestly say my 1999 rodeo is a better car.

ive narrowed my search to a hilux or navara
Get the new Navara STX with dual zone 17s etc.. They are the GO!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Ranger must be the best of a bad bunch then. They are all a rubbish market segment. Cant handle, cant brake, cant ride, cant steer, crap build quality, uncomfortable, bad seats, cramped, expensive to run and service. Most of these vehicles are overpriced by $10,000. No wonder the Chinese are here to get a piece of the action.
ill agree with you there, i think car makers prey on people in my position who need a dual purpose vehicle. there is a very limited range if you need a ute for work but need an extra seat on the weekends and they are priced too high for what they are
Old 01-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Get the new Navara STX with dual zone 17s etc.. They are the GO!
thanx for the tip, ive been out all day car shopping, im getting head spins
Old 01-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #9
Mr Hardware

Quote:
Fair enough, each to their own. I can only comment on those two as they're the only ones i've driven in that segment, and as brazen says they're absolutely terrible. They are, quite literally, about as refined as an xf falcon.

Nope, i think that is being unfair to XFs.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Fair enough, each to their own. I can only comment on those two as they're the only ones i've driven in that segment, and as brazen says they're absolutely terrible. They are, quite literally, about as refined as an xf falcon.

Nope, i think that is being unfair to XFs.
agreed, they are quite "crude" for lack of a better word
Old 01-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #11
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:
Have you ever sat in one or driven one???
3 years ago I tested the Hilux, Ranger, and Triton. I went with the Triton because it was far cheaper then Hilux, had the best factory options of all three (rear diff lock std.) and the best interior by a mile.
I've had mine just under 3 years with over 110,000kms on the clock. I've never had an issue or service problem with it in all that time. (wish I could say the same about my old XR8 and Pursuit utes.)
I flog the crap out of mine up in the high country and never had an issue...

pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #12
cheek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have a 2010 Triton SC turbo diesel and its great, heaps of grunt and unlike the ranger and hilux's we test drove, the triton feels really solid, but very, very ugly :-P
But from what I've heard, the petrol 2.4 or whatever they are engines are really **** weak.
cheek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #13
JOSH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
and after driving a ranger i can honestly say my 1999 rodeo is a better car.
you cant be serious?

Blue Power Racing Developments
(03) 93053000
Ray Prescott Auto
(02) 49902488
JOSH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 05:48 PM   #14
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSH
you cant be serious?
100% serious, you were right, the ride is terrible in the ranger
Old 01-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #15
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Thanks for the headsup mr hardware. Told my mate at work with a 2008 triton, and every customer who walked in the door with a triton I told too.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #16
Mr Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb02
Have you ever sat in one or driven one???
I stated in my OP that i am subjected to driving one for work. Between the crook seats, bone jarring ride and intergalactic turbo lag, i suppose you'd have to say the build quality is satisfactory. Apart from the recall, amirite?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #17
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The new 2010 model Triton is fantastic. I wouldn't take a Hilux or Ranger if it was given to me. Correction, I would, then I'd sell it.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Interesting, the fleet we service at work, had a triton come in and the driver complain about the ride being a bit off, could be this maybe?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #19
20focus05
I wanna XR5

But the nuts are split pinnned???? Ah maybe thats just on the new ones that I am PD-ing.

I find the new Holden rodeo a bit scary in its handling, a unpredictable boat!!!

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #20
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Could be right big damo.
I for one thought the tritons where a great work hack. Apart from the multitudes of falcons and hiluxs at work, tritons make up the rest, and are well respected by the tradies.
Me? I'd go a F truck if I could. I want something seriously rugged for a workhorse. If I need one.
Anyone who has them, get them checked out! Tritons that is
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #21
capriv8

I ordered the new stx d40 Navara duel cab last week after comparing them all, the glxr triton came second in my opinion and the rest were shockers.
capriv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Could be right big damo.
I for one thought the tritons where a great work hack. Apart from the multitudes of falcons and hiluxs at work, tritons make up the rest, and are well respected by the tradies.
Me? I'd go a F truck if I could. I want something seriously rugged for a workhorse. If I need one.
Anyone who has them, get them checked out! Tritons that is
I quite like the bouncy ride the Rodeo and the Triton offer, but the Triton looks hella ugly, but if you can get past that, its great.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #23
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow, what a bunch of experts...forgot Fords never get recalled
It won Overlander four wheel drive of the year, couldn't be too bad and from my limited experience I quite like them.
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #24
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax
Wow, what a bunch of experts...forgot Fords never get recalled
It won Overlander four wheel drive of the year, couldn't be too bad and from my limited experience I quite like them.
nice first post. hopefully there is more of the same to come
Old 01-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #25
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
thanx for the tip, ive been out all day car shopping, im getting head spins
If you are after a higher spec dual cab and can wait a little, maybe hang out for the VW Amorak. From what I have read, it is meant to shake up the dual cab market when it goes on sale.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #26
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Dont know what people have against the Triton. It is a work vehicle afterall not luxury so comfort isnt going to be the best. Most of the drivetrain is from the Pajero. Reliability is generally rock solid. Looks are personal taste.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #27
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Dont know what people have against the Triton. It is a work vehicle afterall not luxury so comfort isnt going to be the best. Most of the drivetrain is from the Pajero. Reliability is generally rock solid. Looks are personal taste.
i think the color choice effects the triton greatly, i drove a silver 07 today that was a very nice looking car
Old 01-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #28
2.8L Hilux
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to drive a 08 Triton V6 every day for work. It has to be one of the worst cars I've ever driven. Crap engine, crap gear box, crap interior, crap ride and really crappy fuel economy.

Give me a Ranger any day of the week...
Old 01-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #29
JimNiki
71Mach1

Quote:
I used to drive a 08 Triton V6 every day for work. It has to be one of the worst cars I've ever driven. Crap engine, crap gear box, crap interior, crap ride and really crappy fuel economy.
but apart from that, she's a little ripper right? No?

go the fords!
Aren't the Ranger a bit squishy in the rear though.

Sometimes I feel that because they've created a work car that doubles as a family weekender, all these manufacturers charge extra for the privilege for saving us buying 2 separate vehicles.
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 10:50 PM   #30
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I don't like the look of the "new" Ranger, the older model was tough as.