Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default Climate control fix take 2 or FREE CLIMATE CONTROL... almost

Ok, I thought I'd start a new thread about this as the last one is getting a bit long and involved.

This is the second version if this fix now using the Nalclips from the stationary shop instead of the bulldog clips, and it works a treat and is quick and easy if you have the time and energy to do it. If not, give me a shout and I'll happily swap your fading CC for a working one for nothing more than the cost of postage and any donation to the cause you see fit to give as I still need to buy clips and any replacement globes to make sure you get a fully working unit. I can't see how this method will ever cause the unit to fail again but you be the judge.

Ok, all you need for the fix is a Nalclip tool

with the tips ground down to the spreader tabs so the tool will fit over the board and put the clips as far onto the board as possable

Nalclips of coarse, and something to act as insulation to keep the metal clips from damaging the circuit tape. In this instance I used inner tube rubber but Chamos leather or any sturdy woven cloth will do. So, it's dead simple, once you have got your unit out and apart all you need to do is fold the excess loose circuit tape over the edge of the circuit board. Then take your insulator and place it over the tape and board then push the clips on.

That's it, job done!! Ok, it is a bit fiddly and you need to make sure you get the clips as close together as possible but basically you're done. The only other thing you need to do is chop out the black rear casing to accommodate the Nalclips when you reassemble the unit. I used side cutters to snip the plastic and a pair of pliers to snap it off.

[/IMG]
[IMG]

Obviously you should go test the unit first. Here's the one in the pics...

If it still doesn't work or you have dead elements then the tape has died from fatigue. If that's the case you'll need to cut it back as I described in the other thread.

That's it, dead easy and anyone should be able to do it.

If not, like I said, I'll happily exchange your fading unit for a good one so long as yours is a virgin unit and not one of those Ebay reconditioned units ..... and you haven't butchered it trying to fix it yourself.

Cheers
Bushbasher

PS. If anyone has any old faded units sitting in the shed gathering dust I'd love to take them off your hands to see if I can get them working or at least for spare parts, that way I can have a couple of spare units here if anyone needs one.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
Andrew S

Default Re: Climate control fix take 2 or FREE CLIMATE CONTROL... almost

I am having huge difficulty removing the facia. It's almost like it's been glued in yet we are the first owners and it hasn't been replaced previously. Is it held in by just those 9 plastic lugs? Or is there a dark secret I should know about?
Andrew S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

No, plastic lugs only but getting them all to let go together is near on impossible. Put pressure on the underside first and keep the pressure on as you press the lugs down. If you don't, as you move to the next lug, the last one just re locks itself. Once you get the first 3 or 4 to let go the casing splits enough so the lugs won't re lock as you undo the next one, so long as you keep the pressure on. Once you get it apart, look out for the clock adjusting buttons to fall out because that's just what they'll do if you tip the fascia face up.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 18-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
Andrew S

Thank you the swift response.
All the lugs are downl so this facia has to be glued.
Funny thing is after all my prodding and poking the display is behaving however I don't think it will be long before it breaks up again.
I've certainly done something bad to the clock, it still works but doesn't respond to the back and forward buttons.
If I could find someone here in SQ that could open the unit up I would cheerfully take it to them but the few enquiries I have made seems everyone is too scared to go near it...
Anyway thank you for your help.
Old 18-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

SQ? Southern Queensland?

When did the clock buttons stop responding?

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 18-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
Andrew S

South Queensland yes.
Clock buttons only stopped after I reconnected it this morning. Not too worried the clock still goes.....
Display is working despite my prodding I think these units are tougher than I imagined. I'll leave it in and see how it goes right now I really need the a/c so I'll leave it all in place.
I pulled one of the power plugs and left it out and I'll put it back in when the clock equals local time.