Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-03-2023, 06:37 PM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default deep cell batteries

I want to run a couple of LED 12V camping lights in a display trailer that will be 'working' for a max of 8 hours a day.

https://hardkorr.com/au/product/100c...with-diffuser/ but how do I power them when they are on a box/display trailer?

It has been suggested a 2nd hand 12v gopher deep cell battery would do the job.

yes no options
Old 26-03-2023, 07:00 PM   #2
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

Default Re: deep cell batteries

not sure of your budget, but look at

https://www.bluettipower.com.au/

I have a larger system that completely runs a large shed 24 hrs/day. fridges, power tools led lighting. 3 solar panels at 200W each. it rarely gets below 50% charge. can be used when I go camping as well. BUT not cheap.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2023, 07:58 PM   #3
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo View Post
not sure of your budget, but look at

https://www.bluettipower.com.au/

I have a larger system that completely runs a large shed 24 hrs/day. fridges, power tools led lighting. 3 solar panels at 200W each. it rarely gets below 50% charge. can be used when I go camping as well. BUT not cheap.

not cheap....yeah not wrong mate, thats why Iam hoping the S/H gopher battery will work.
Old 26-03-2023, 08:46 PM   #4
prydey
Rob

A gopher/wheelchair battery will be fine.

That light bar draws 1.2a. I'm no sparky but in 8 hours I think that would equate to about 10ah tops.

I have a set of hardkorr lights similar to that. 4 x 50cm. I used to run them off an 18ah power bank. Never needed to run them for 8 hours but it had the capacity to if needed. As long as you have the ability to charge up your power source each day, then you can get something pretty cheap that will 'do the job'.
Old 26-03-2023, 11:45 PM   #5
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
I want to run a couple of LED 12V camping lights in a display trailer that will be 'working' for a max of 8 hours a day.

https://hardkorr.com/au/product/100c...with-diffuser/ but how do I power them when they are on a box/display trailer?

yes no options

Simple...you need 10 Ah of charge every day.
If you get the cheap lead acid rubbish then best practice is to never let it get below 80% state of charge...else it will crap out in no time.

That means you need about 10 times the rating that you will draw.

So you need a 100 Ah lead acid battery.

BUT..if you choose a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery you can discharge almost 90% and still get a good life out of it.

So a 15Ah LiFeP04 battery is ideal.

good luck.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2023, 10:59 AM   #6
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

clarification, I wont need this every day, only when we haul this trailer to market days.

this from another forum....
this guy hooked up some LED strips to his Dewalt stuff but should be plenty of options if you run another brand, there are also plenty of 3d printed adapters to use different brand batteries with other tools
if you have your heart set on those specific lights can you can always buy a 18v battery to 12v cig lighter, though not cheap ($70)
Makita 18v Battery Adapter With 12v Lighter Socket - Etsy Australia

Here is an example of a battery box with various options to connect with Battery Box with Voltmeter and Dual USB Charger and Dual High Current Plugs | Jaycar Electronics
Most AGM batteries are designed as deep cycle batteries to power appliances etc. The rule of thumb is you should only consume 50% of their stated capacity before recharging. Wheras a car cranking battery is designed for a high load in short bursts only. For what you are wanting to do it would do the job if you got one of these at the right orice.
Old 27-03-2023, 11:16 AM   #7
prydey
Rob

Can you mount a solar panel to the top of the trailer at all?

Like zilo says, if you use a small battery and regularly take it below 50-70% it will shorten the life of the battery.

Having said that, it will still last a fair while. If you are only operating the trailer on weekends or only certain days or weeks of the year, the small battery will still last quite a few years.

My 100ah battery in my previous van lasted over 9 years, even though many 'experts' told me it wouldn't.

Having said that a small lifepo4 battery will also do the job for many years and still not be overly expensive. A reasonable 20ah shouldn't be more than $200. Some brands less than half that but obviously get what you pay for.

I bought this many years ago and ran lights and phone charging off it while camping in tents etc. I think something like that would also suit but would need charging every night.
https://www.facebook.com/74411130570...9453325837262/

I think I got ripped but it served my needs. Identical looking items can be found at a fraction of that price on ebay.
Old 27-03-2023, 12:29 PM   #8
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
clarification, I wont need this every day, only when we haul this trailer to market days.

this from another forum....
this guy hooked up some LED strips to his Dewalt stuff but should be plenty of options if you run another brand, there are also plenty of 3d printed adapters to use different brand batteries with other tools
if you have your heart set on those specific lights can you can always buy a 18v battery to 12v cig lighter, though not cheap ($70)
Makita 18v Battery Adapter With 12v Lighter Socket - Etsy Australia

Here is an example of a battery box with various options to connect with Battery Box with Voltmeter and Dual USB Charger and Dual High Current Plugs | Jaycar Electronics
Most AGM batteries are designed as deep cycle batteries to power appliances etc. The rule of thumb is you should only consume 50% of their stated capacity before recharging. Wheras a car cranking battery is designed for a high load in short bursts only. For what you are wanting to do it would do the job if you got one of these at the right orice.
Your first suggestion to you should be enough to meet your requirements, just use AGM battery or deep cycle wet cell, you don't really need lithium.
Quote:
This will be the cheapest and easiest method which all you need to do is recharge the battery after use.
I can never understand why people try to complicate things.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: