Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-03-2023, 01:24 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default M-B “Plug in” Key Cloning

This type of key:
(Image credit https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/255988257050)

All the forum information I’ve seen is either years out-of-date or uninformed “just go to the dealer because you can’t trust locksmiths” type ignorant blather. Or it’s both!

Surely these can now be cloned with a reputable sniffer and cloning rig? Vito owner has only one key and reasonably is concerned that losing it would greatly inconvenience him.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2023, 01:34 PM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: M-B “Plug in” Key Cloning

Call or email MisterMinute https://misterminit.co/pages/car-keys and ask.
Old 14-03-2023, 01:58 PM   #3
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey CB, My son in-law is a locksmith dealing mainly in transponder keys, we have lost one of the keys to our 2017 Vito so I hit him up to sort another, he's only been at that job doing them for about a year and a half and new late model Mercs are a bit of a pain so enlisted his workmate to come have a look. bear in mind they have the latest of diagnostic gear and Justin is the top tech in the country gets flown all over to sort cars. After a hour of head scratching said the dreaded words "take it to the dealer" this system is locked down tight and can't hack into it, not much beats him. Not sure if it's just the Vito or all Mercs of around that year or newer. prob not much help so I'm back to a two week wait then getting bent over by the dealer on the price which I'm sure you are aware of.
Justin said there will be scanners out there but haven't trickled down to NZ yet, he was also going to see if there was any updates for their gear available but haven't heard back yet Cheers. Aussie is a way bigger market so might be something available over there.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-03-2023, 02:05 PM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Thank you, this is an ‘06 so the earlier system, think it ran from ‘99-10. Do you mind asking him about this one please?

I’ve heard rumours that the Chinese fake ZedBull kits can possibly do it, but not from reliable sources. And Mister Minit run hot and cold, I wouldn’t trust the local one to tie his own shoelaces properly.
Old 14-03-2023, 02:11 PM   #5
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes they can be done I believe it seems its just the later stuff, we had our old van sorted a couple of years ago it was a 09.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-03-2023, 02:46 PM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
This type of key:
(Image credit https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/255988257050)

All the forum information I’ve seen is either years out-of-date or uninformed “just go to the dealer because you can’t trust locksmiths” type ignorant blather. Or it’s both!

Surely these can now be cloned with a reputable sniffer and cloning rig? Vito owner has only one key and reasonably is concerned that losing it would greatly inconvenience him.
You may need to find someone with an MB 'STAR' computer... or clone.

There is now someone in town here who can do it if you feel the need to check on your block

I had mine done a few years ago by an independent MB mechanic (with a cloned STAR computer I believe)

He had to program the key to the car, then whilst still connected it had to talk to Germany for authorisation, comparing VIN's and the like I think. He charged $350 which was better than the dealers $550

The above is probably more technically complicated but that's what I could could work out whilst watching him.
Old 14-03-2023, 05:40 PM   #7
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Similar result here.

Mr Minit reckoned dealer only.

Indie wholesale pricing under $500 for mechanical key and cloned transponder fob. Said needed it (the key and module) overnight - I presume to “phone in” his dump and receive a programming code.
Old 14-03-2023, 09:54 PM   #8
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

I have looked into this before, there is a chip in the earlier keys that you can take a copy from but you have to de-solder it to do it, then you can grab any key new or used and remove the chip and rewrite it with the keys info.

I have not done it myself but watched plenty of you tube videos on it, the later key uses infra red 2012 onward and can not be done yet, you have to show the dealer proof of ownership and they program a new key, you can then just insert and it self codes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJQi2izXfik

Last edited by prktkljokr; 14-03-2023 at 10:02 PM.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2023, 10:21 PM   #9
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
I have looked into this before, there is a chip in the earlier keys that you can take a copy from but you have to de-solder it to do it, then you can grab any key new or used and remove the chip and rewrite it with the keys info.

I have not done it myself but watched plenty of you tube videos on it, the later key uses infra red 2012 onward and can not be done yet, you have to show the dealer proof of ownership and they program a new key, you can then just insert and it self codes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJQi2izXfik
Yep. Was covered in Gone in 60 Seconds. Keys are only available through dealer as they are laser..............lol
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post