Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Should "location" be mandatory in your profile?
Yes 9 33.33%
No 18 66.67%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2023, 10:37 AM   #1
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 
Default Should location be mandatory in user profile when signing up?

I think someone's location should be mandatory in your profile, its often important to know where someone is, when replying to a post, and the question is often asked..."where are you?"
I know some people might be a bit sensitive about giving personal information, but even just knowing a persons nearest city or state is enough.
What do you guys think?
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2023, 10:43 AM   #2
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Default Re: Should location be mandatory in user profile when signing up?

I think users are entitled to privacy to be honest. If they do not wish to disclose that information it does not disadvantage any other user.
3 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2023, 10:54 AM   #3
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
I think users are entitled to privacy to be honest. If they do not wish to disclose that information it does not disadvantage any other user.
If thats what someone wants, then being inaccurate would be more effective. If I dont want people to know I live in Geelong, then I could put anything else, Melbourne, or Victoria for example.
This user likes this post:
Old 09-02-2023, 10:56 AM   #4
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I understand where AMB is coming from as the 'where are you' question is very prominent when someone is asking for help. The location doesn't have to be specific eg Castle Hill but Sydney would suffice as a general area. As for those wanting to keep it private, what's the first thing you do when someone is trying to help and asks, "Where are you?"
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2023, 11:05 AM   #5
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
.....As for those wanting to keep it private, what's the first thing you do when someone is trying to help and asks, "Where are you?"
If not wanting to disclose that info, they will either ignore the question, or not reply. Or give you a bum steer, which is worse, because the person trying to help will be then wasting their time.

Last edited by AMB; 09-02-2023 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-02-2023, 11:11 AM   #6
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

What's the point of demanding a location if the user has the option to put something false on it?
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2023, 11:17 AM   #7
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

There will always be plonkers like that - but look at a situation such as your lawn questions, the answers for Swan Hill are going to be different than Cooma (two randomly chosen towns). I think it’s pretty average to ask for help and yet be an appendage about it.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2023, 11:31 AM   #8
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What's the point of demanding a location if the user has the option to put something false on it?
But you can be as specific or general as you want. If you give a completely false location, that's up to you, but then you'll have to be careful about your questions, in case you trip up, or continue the charade and waste other people's time. People are probably already doing it right now.
Main reason I'm asking this, is because I think its nice to know something about the person I'm talking to, someone in Sydney, Queensland, or South Africa, its the first thing I look at.

Last edited by AMB; 09-02-2023 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-02-2023, 12:07 PM   #9
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

I think there should be a "don't care" voting option. If it's important to the context of the discussion and the person hasn't already disclosed their location, then how hard is it to ask them? If they don't respond, clearly they don't want you to know and it's time for all parties to move on.

But I also don't think it should be mandatory as, as has been pointed out, people will just use a false location which then means we'll either be providing advice for the wrong location or we'll be asking the question again anyway.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2023, 02:34 PM   #10
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out where Yap-Hoon is.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2023, 04:35 PM   #11
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

I appreciate where you are coming from AMB and I have asked the "Where are you from?" question many times when their location seems to be relevant.

Where do you stop though. Car details? Age? Sex? For the millennials - whether you are a spaceship or not?

I've been cleaning up some of the areas of AFF recently and I have found God only knows, thousands of posts whereby the poster has asked for help and not even mentioned what sort of car they are asking about.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2023, 04:43 PM   #12
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post

Obviously you're not a Qldr then...
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2023, 05:37 PM   #13
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Profile pics

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2023, 08:44 PM   #14
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Dont see the point unless it is a local specific question...in which case non locals wouldnt know the answer anyway.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2023, 08:48 PM   #15
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
I’ve heard they have a great RSL and bakeries:

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2023, 09:31 PM   #16
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post
Dont see the point unless it is a local specific question...in which case non locals wouldnt know the answer anyway.
But you wouldn't know if you're a local if the area in question wasn't posted.
Old 09-02-2023, 09:58 PM   #17
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Profile pics
Nice suggestion..............
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2023, 11:17 PM   #18
stock1991
Limited supply

You're not getting my rego, VERB...wait
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2023, 02:23 AM   #19
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
But you wouldn't know if you're a local if the area in question wasn't posted.
The Poll is asking should "your location" be mandatory on your profile?
Like so everyone can see where you live...assuming you dont lie.

Not like who is the best mechanic in Melbourne or something.
Which is what I was getting at as a local specific question...which I wouldnt know the answer to.

I dont have a problem with local questions...but I can still help someone in Melbourne without them knowing where I live.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2023, 03:31 AM   #20
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

The problem with making something like "location" mandatory is it can neither be enforced nor verified.

Consider this...

In all popular forms of online social media such as FaceBook, Twitter, and TikTok, there is no mandatory requirement to disclose your location as is with most online forums.
(They can all be made "non-Public" in your account anyway).

Neither can a user's IP address be verified by the site's admin, with so many users now hiding behind a VPN (like Nord) to protect their security online.

While AFF limits this to some extent, by banning users from logging in with IP addresses from certain countries due to spammers, there are many that are still allowed.

The information gathered at the time of registration by AFF has compulsory fields (user name, password, date of birth if under 13 years of age and a valid email address for confirmation of registration).

All other fields are optional and the data within them is subject to AFF's privacy policy and will not be disclosed to anyone without your express written consent except as outlined in the Legal Disclaimer.

Some of this information is visible to other members in your public profile and all this information is visible to the site Administrators.

The only true value of "Location", apart from user statistical information for the site's admin, is in posted questions relating to obtaining help or services in a particular region or state.

If the poster does not give the location required for a suitable answer to be given, then it is more a question of the poster's low mental capacity than something that should be made mandatory.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2023, 09:56 AM   #21
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well said. That last sentence sums it up. Having to ask someone's location comes second only after having to ask " what model car is it?"