Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-11-2005, 08:29 AM   #1
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Thinking of buying an AU Fairmont

Hi Guys,

My wife got shunted last week in the 95 Laser and it's probably going to be written off. I've been thinking about an Au2-3 Fairmont or FGhia.

There are many around to choose from, but as I have a wagon and my next purchase will probably be a sedan, I could use some advice on what to look for and listen for on the test drive.

Also, if I go for the Ghia should I go for the leather seats? I'm quite partial to the 75th Anniversary model actually!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I've found an AU2 Forte with a V8 on gas for sale! Very tempting! Anyone have an idea how it would go on gas?

Also, anyone got a VCT motor on gas? Try not to have a heart attack Casper! LOL

GK

GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 11:04 AM   #2
HLC
Audi S3

i got an AU 2 Fairmont for dirt cheap because it had a fair bit of damage on it, scuffs and hail dents. but low kays. i had a detail done and its comeup a million bucks. basicaully if i sold it id get more than what i paid.

but look for some clean examples low klms, you will probably be looking in the 15's for a good example (Rough estimate), yeah i really dont know what else, cause i went through a contact in a dealership and had my car all serviced and fixed before i picked it up.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:25 AM   #3
pljudd

I have a 2001 AUII wagon, with dual fuel, extractors and 3 " sports exhaust. This car is hot!! We have had it since new, just drove right around the island for 3 months and apart from a fuel pump problem and the coil pack packing it in in Darwin, it did not miss a beat. If you have to replace a fuel pump as I had to, then the gas tank has to come out so that the patrol tank can be removed. $$$$. If only the %$#$% engineer who decided not to put an access panel in the back for the fuel pump was to break down on the Stuart High north of Kathrine NT, he would never do such a dumb design error again.

The suspension brakes and steering were just great for towing and it loped along with ease. Comfort side was just great, but was sorry I put plush deep pile sheep skin seat covers on as it made us sit up on the bucket seats instead of sinking right in.

As far as gas is concerned, it is good however, if you do a lot of towing on gas, the catalytic convertor will burn out quick smart as the exhaust gasses are a lot hotter than running the car on petrol.

Have a look for the wiring around the alarm box, brittle rubber insulation will mean water ingression and future problems with the factory alarm system.

Also have a look at the back area where the electrical harness for a trailer is connected. A sign of a bodgy back yard job has scotch locks in place instead of the original multipole plug from the factory.

If the car is fitted with climate control have a look to see if all the LCD display is working. See the thread for this in a another part of this forum for the test procedure. They are easily fixed and you can pick up a relatively cheap reconditioned unit instead of the exhorbitant factory part.

Inspect the underside of the car and check for leaking shockies that need replacing.

Thats all I can think of at the moment.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2005, 11:39 AM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I have an XR8 that I just converted to gas. On the dyno it has 6rwkw less than petrol. On the road, I can't pick any real power loss at all.

Go the V8 Forte on gas - you can't beat the sound of a V8, plus you'll have the running costs (for fuel) of a 4!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2005, 11:41 AM   #5
buickman
buickman

I've got a AU1 ghia which I purchased as a demo with 3,000kms & just turned 100,000ks. No real mech problems only radiator replaced & normal service items. Still has the Factory battery in it.

But for electrical & body faults the LCD C/control display had to be replaced twice. The second one a reco & far better than a new one in lasting.
Plus something that came close to me selling it as the car was out of warranty & the right rear ball that the strut connects to snapped off & the 1/4 panels are welded over so it is a difficult & fiddly job to repair a artical on how to repair it in the workshop section of www.aufalcon.com
Otherwise they are a good reliable local car.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post