Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-10-2005, 12:34 AM   #1
spope
Banned

Default Short motor differences VCT - non VCT?

Hello all - thought i'd pop into your forum for a moment as hopefully I will be fortunate enough to have an au motor to install in my car soon.
I was wondering if anyone knows the exact differences in short motors between the VCT and non VCT AU motors.
Ie, bore, stroke, compression, etc...
Have heard that VCT had higher compression - was this due to different pistons or was it in the head?
Any info appreciated.

spope is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 04:00 PM   #2
HLC
Audi S3

all i know is that the VCT has variable cam timing and its more powerful the the other OHC motor.

and that probably didnt help at all.
Old 18-10-2005, 06:02 PM   #3
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
all i know is that the VCT has variable cam timing and its more powerful the the other OHC motor.

and that probably didnt help at all.
yeah the VCT is a tad more powerfull but that advantage is cancelled via IRS
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 08:56 PM   #4
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

VCT engine has a different head and different cam. Bottom end is the same.

Head inlet and exhaust valve sizes the same and i doubt the compression is any different.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 09:26 PM   #5
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Head inlet and exhaust valve sizes the same and i doubt the compression is any different.
I'm sure there was something mentioned about the compression ratio being different between the s1 and s2-3. One of the other members way back scored a higher dyno reading that Casper was investigating. I'm damn sure it was a VCT too.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 09:37 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'd PM Casper - he is likely to have the info somewhere. The info, or some if it, should also be in the owners manual.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 10:06 PM   #7
TCK-098

well i think with the normal AU 4.0 they had 157kw and the VCT in the Fairmont ghia had 168kw and the XR6 had 172kw.

hope that answesr the question.
Old 18-10-2005, 10:49 PM   #8
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
VCT engine has a different head and different cam. Bottom end is the same.

They run the same compression ratio of 9.65.1.
Its only the head & cam that different. Plus the exhaust on the XR6 gave it the extra KW's over the ghia VCT mtr.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 08:58 AM   #9
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
I'm sure there was something mentioned about the compression ratio being different between the s1 and s2-3. One of the other members way back scored a higher dyno reading that Casper was investigating. I'm damn sure it was a VCT too.
OK, for the record.
ALL AU I6 bottom ends are the same.. end of story.
The VCT Head is the only difference from the HP or Intec engines.

As for compression, there is a slight issue with the S1 VCT heads. They seemed to have a manufacturing fault that left them mith margianly less compression than the later VCT's. Same head but there appears to be a "fix" (possibly a slight shave) that upped the compression. Nothing official from Ford and it was never listed anywhere. This was found by JMM after they noticed something odd and started testing. We are only talking minimal difference here but it could account for 3-5rwkw missing in the earlier VCT's. Not that that seems to be a great big issue..not on mine anyhow

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 03:43 PM   #10
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
OK, for the record.
As for compression, there is a slight issue with the S1 VCT heads. They seemed to have a manufacturing fault that left them mith margianly less compression than the later VCT's. Same head but there appears to be a "fix" (possibly a slight shave) that upped the compression. Nothing official from Ford and it was never listed anywhere. This was found by JMM after they noticed something odd and started testing. We are only talking minimal difference here but it could account for 3-5rwkw missing in the earlier VCT's. Not that that seems to be a great big issue..not on mine anyhow

First I heard of it all documents & figures I've read has all the AU six mtrs compression from factory at 9.65.1. Nothing that a good exhuast system would'nt fix

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 03:44 PM   #11
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
First I heard of it all documents & figures I've read has all the AU six mtrs compression from factory at 9.65.1.

buickman
yep, but then again we all believe everything that Ford tell us dont we? Riiiight. From all I've seen the original VCT heads had slightly less compression than the HP or Intech heads... which were closer to 9.3:1 than 9.65:1 anyhow.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post