Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-01-2005, 07:51 PM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default Ugly mobile phone aerials on nice cars!!

Hi all as I was driving around today I saw alot of BA ,AU fords with an external mobile phone aerial.I have not used an external aerial since I have imported my new internal aerials.They work better than 90% of external aerials with reception. Also I will give 5 away to forum readers to let me know what they think. Please tell me what you think of it.The only visible part is the strip inside the windscreen.While I have seen some other ones around they dont match it for reception.

Last edited by Stav; 25-01-2005 at 07:53 PM.
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 07:53 PM   #2
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Free stuff? Count me in !! , Iv got an external areial one of them dumb ones that go on the back windscreen :(

It looks good at least not so noticable.

Last edited by Duffman; 25-01-2005 at 07:55 PM.
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 07:55 PM   #3
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

PM me with your details..but please understand I would like your honest feedback here on how good these are.Personally so far I believe they are the best aerial in the country.Already a few installation companies buy them from me.Yes there is nothing on the outside of the windscreen ...

Last edited by Stav; 25-01-2005 at 08:01 PM.
Old 25-01-2005, 08:45 PM   #4
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi useless,

I'd be willing to give one a try as well. I've always just used the standard external aerials that come with the car kits, but I'm not a big fan of the look, let alone the risk of them being damaged/stolen.
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 08:49 PM   #5
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR
Hi useless,

I'd be willing to give one a try as well. I've always just used the standard external aerials that come with the car kits, but I'm not a big fan of the look, let alone the risk of them being damaged/stolen.
No problems .You are right these aerials have a high stealth factor.Crims look for aerials to pinch the expensive kits.I suppose this has to be a plus .Pm me with details and Ill send you one.
Old 25-01-2005, 08:49 PM   #6
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
PM me with your details..but please understand I would like your honest feedback here on how good these are.Personally so far I believe they are the best aerial in the country.Already a few installation companies buy them from me.Yes there is nothing on the outside of the windscreen ...
G'day Mate I've had the RF quadrant in the BA and will swear buy it, have used some of the el'cheapo internals with lesser results. Give me a PM please I'm interestested. Are they all FME terminated, could use SMA?
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 08:56 PM   #7
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
G'day Mate I've had the RF quadrant in the BA and will swear buy it, have used some of the el'cheapo internals with lesser results. Give me a PM please I'm interestested. Are they all FME terminated, could use SMA?
These aerials do cdma , dual band frequencies digital, analogue.These are only FME terminated unfortunately.It ill require a sma adaptor. The quadrant are a fine aerial but I have tested these with a db metre and I do assure you that these will give much better reception.The only better aerial to date that I have personally tested was the 5 db rf industries aerial.Which as you may well know loooks like a medium broomstick.

Last edited by Stav; 25-01-2005 at 08:58 PM.
Old 25-01-2005, 09:06 PM   #8
LUXO_8
windsor user

i'll give one a go!
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 09:10 PM   #9
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
i'll give one a go!
Sweet but what are your first impressions .This is what I am trying to discover. I am happy to give a few freebies away to my ford forum buddies.PM your details to me .
Old 25-01-2005, 09:12 PM   #10
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Sweet but what are your first impressions .This is what I am trying to discover. I am happy to give a few freebies away to my ford forum buddies.PM your details to me .
ooh sorry i gave my impressions in the pm.

yeah i like. i have been going to get a handsfree for my ericsson T610 but i havent because the last 2 of my parents cars have had the aerials ripped off. thank god they havent ripped the aerial off their AU yet.
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 09:20 PM   #11
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Seriously with the integrated radio antenna in the BA, there is no way you want a piece of bent wire spoiling the lines. This style of antenna is the only way to go, and if this one is half as good as you say Useless, and I'm sure your right, you may just have a winner here.

One thing I found with the Quadrant is that it has much better directional qualities than typical short wire jobs. I'll be interested to see if these are similar, no reason why not.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 09:26 PM   #12
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
Seriously with the integrated radio antenna in the BA, there is no way you want a piece of bent wire spoiling the lines. This style of antenna is the only way to go, and if this one is half as good as you say Useless, and I'm sure your right, you may just have a winner here.

One thing I found with the Quadrant is that it has much better directional qualities than typical short wire jobs. I'll be interested to see if these are similar, no reason why not.
Mate your welcome.This unit does kick butt in a big way and the wire is very thin low loss of rf energy.The other advantage I have found (after having installed about 700 phone kits to ba fords) is that the thin wire does not tend to interfere with the bulkier rf coax cables. The big plus here is that the side panels tend to clip back into place without the bulk of these other common aerials.Also door rubbers also sit better back into place without the added aerial bulk as well.
Old 25-01-2005, 09:34 PM   #13
Stav
Smile

Looks like you guys have snapped up the first 5 aerials .!!!.Ill tell yas what ..Ill put up another 5 for whoever else wants a go.But please wait for my return pm to confirm.Please post here to let everyone else know who is after one.I will make these the last 5 so that I set a limit for now.Lets put an end to ugly aerials on sexy ford cars. It makes me sad to see smikko xr6t's and AU ford with dignified looking executive gentlemen having dicky aerials..

Last edited by Stav; 25-01-2005 at 09:48 PM.
Old 25-01-2005, 09:53 PM   #14
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Lets put an end to ugly aerials on sexy ford cars.
I couldnt agree more mate. The coiled type external aerials are unsightly and are a discrace to see on a nice new XR.

It would be nice not to have an unsightly external antenna, however I'd also be interested to see how the reliability of the antenna is over time etc.
Look forward to trying one out... and ditching the old one.
Old 25-01-2005, 09:57 PM   #15
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv619
I couldnt agree more mate. The coiled type external aerials are unsightly and are a discrace to see on a nice new XR.

It would be nice not to have an unsightly external antenna, however I'd also be interested to see how the reliability of the antenna is over time etc.
Look forward to trying one out... and ditching the old one.
Reliability is increased due to not getting rained on ,ice creamed and pulled at by kids and trees
Also a coiled aerial makes a loud whistleing noise at around 100 kmph.Many of my customers thought their cars had problems.So now...it wont whistle any more out:

Last edited by Stav; 25-01-2005 at 09:58 PM.
Old 25-01-2005, 10:18 PM   #16
RTV Man

Gday Useless,

Just bought myself an AU Ute, will be for work but still want it to look the goods.

Am very interested as my phone bill goes $150-200 per month. If you still have one available, I would be very interested. If not can you let me know what price you can do one for me
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 10:22 PM   #17
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTV Man
Gday Useless,

Just bought myself an AU Ute, will be for work but still want it to look the goods.

Am very interested as my phone bill goes $150-200 per month. If you still have one available, I would be very interested. If not can you let me know what price you can do one for me
Hi mate we are talking about the aerial?If so send me a pm with details and please post your thoughts on this product.I have 4 left.

Last edited by Stav; 25-01-2005 at 10:23 PM.
Old 26-01-2005, 08:41 AM   #18
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Useless, I'm also keen to try one of these aerials.

What do they normally retail for?
Old 26-01-2005, 09:09 AM   #19
Stav
Smile

Mate I sell them for around $44. I know installers are getting up to 110 dollars for them.Yes I do have one for you.But ...let me know what you think.
Old 26-01-2005, 10:27 AM   #20
Hitman
Way over here

I'd be interested in 1 aswell useless, if you still have 1 available. I have the ugly coil aerial on my car at the moment and want to get rid of it.
Also, I've just upgraded my phone and need to get a new in car kit, what's the price of a kit to suit a Nokia 7250i?
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 10:35 AM   #21
Stav
Smile

Mate this is not a selling forum .So I will not sell here.But I do have an aerial for you.What do you think of this aerial?Ps it goes well behind the mirror on the front.
Old 26-01-2005, 11:11 AM   #22
rob_o

So do these aerials just stick to the inside of the front windscreen? They look pretty good I reckon as it keeps the smooth lines of the car. Ive seen so many cars with these little curly aerials and they dont look all that great.

Can these be plugged into a bluetooth hands-free kit which goes straight into the ciggie lighter?
rob_o is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 07:55 PM   #23
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_o
So do these aerials just stick to the inside of the front windscreen? They look pretty good I reckon as it keeps the smooth lines of the car. Ive seen so many cars with these little curly aerials and they dont look all that great.

Can these be plugged into a bluetooth hands-free kit which goes straight into the ciggie lighter?
Bluetooth kits are wireless.Nokia 6310 can have an antenna patch lead
Old 26-01-2005, 08:05 PM   #24
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Hey! I like my ugly mobile phone aerial on my car :P
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 08:19 PM   #25
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

If only I had know that such a product existed....

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 08:25 PM   #26
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU_Fairmont -S-
Hey! I like my ugly mobile phone aerial on my car :P
ha!!!!you would ..
Old 26-01-2005, 08:57 PM   #27
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our XR6T has an external antenna and it does the trick. Its not that ugly at all. The thing that is ugly is the square on the rear screen for where its supposed to go. I'm sure the internal ones would be great an i'd rather one of them but i reckon for now the external one does the job
BTW- CB radio and radio aerials are uglier imo.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 09:11 PM   #28
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennXRT
Our XR6T has an external antenna and it does the trick. Its not that ugly at all. The thing that is ugly is the square on the rear screen for where its supposed to go. I'm sure the internal ones would be great an i'd rather one of them but i reckon for now the external one does the job
BTW- CB radio and radio aerials are uglier imo.
Mate nps. If you have one thats great.If you lose that one contact me.
Old 26-01-2005, 09:25 PM   #29
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

quite interesting. I hadn't even thought of getting an internal aerial.
I will be interested to hear people's impressions as I do a lot of country driving.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 09:35 PM   #30
Stav
Smile

I have reports back from country sales reps whoare quite happy with it.