Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Default Formula 1's to Calder Park after 2015??

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...-1225928088533

I'd certainly LOVE to see this!!!

Would you go if it was at CALDER??

Old 23-09-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Calder park should be much more than it is, it should be a massive driving complex and not a rotting carpark that it is now.

But yes, id definitely go to that.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Doubt whether F1 would go to Calder, Bernie wouldn't like it there.

Also, unfortunately due to the total lack of urban growth planning, suburban housing has now reached Calder Park, so there would be severe restrictions due to noise etc.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Calder park should be much more than it is, it should be a massive driving complex and not a rotting carpark that it is now.
It certainly is a disappointing sight to see... I've driven past the place every day for the last 20 years, and seen it from when the thunderdome was constructed (from old tyres and fill), and watched it slowly deteriorate to what it is today...

I remember when they had the nationals (drags) there each year and it was a MASSIVE event - packed to the rafters... Also the V8's and other events that were held there (almost every second weekend)...

I can also remember 'that' lowndes crash that will stay in my mind forever... i've never seen so much concern for a competitor before... when the drivers pulled over on the side of the road to go an help... gives me goosebumps...

I spent so many weekend there over the years as a teenager, and some of my fondest memories are from that place...

To have it restored (as it would need to be top notch to host F1) would be fantastic for Calder, for Melbourne, and for Motorsport in Australia...

Fingers Crossed this isn't just a pipe-dream and something goes ahead...
Old 23-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Well my idea would be for a massive motorsport/conference/driver training facility but your right it is sad.

I used to go when they had AUSCAR.

Silver Ghia, so whats the go when they have concert? I remember hearing AC/DC or Guns N Roses for 30 k's away!
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 23-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
LightningStrike

I'm from north of the border - how bad a state of disrepair is Calder in? Any recent pics or events held there, or is it completely mothballed??

Winter White AUII eGas 1 Tonner Goooone!

Winter White SY Ghia AWD 6spd Injected Gas
Mazda 3 SP25GT
==========================
LightningStrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Well my idea would be for a massive motorsport/conference/driver training facility but your right it is sad.

I used to go when they had AUSCAR.

Silver Ghia, so whats the go when they have concert? I remember hearing AC/DC or Guns N Roses for 30 k's away!
That concert was many years ago, before the housing got there. Looked it up, 1993 it was.
I remember hearing that from Sunbury as well.

But unfortunately I think Calder has had its day due to the ridiculous "planning". Same as Essendon Airport, they want it closed. Residents years ago should have had to sign a legal-tight document when purchasing land (transferable to new owners) disallowing any right for complaint against noise etc. Usual thing, they see their properties increasing in value if they win.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it aint broke dont fix it. Leave it in Melbourne . If you wanted to take it to a circuit proper then Phillip Island would be the best we have but then access will be a problem as it is with the bikes. Calder is in it's death throes , it was never a great race circuit but today it's a mere shadow of what it was in it's hey days.Bob Jane has ruined more motorsport complexes and events so for gods sake don't let him near this one.
I was at the 1984 GP held there and compared to the rest of the world circuits it was embarassing even then. Melbourne has everything needed without the necessity of sitting in long traffic jams as would be the case at the other 2 choices. My thoughts.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Exactly, Calder has no trams,trains, taxi facilities. Transport would be a nightmare.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey send it back to Adelaide if you don't want it in the middle of Melbourne now
Narrr just kidding, I don't think too many in S. A. would give up Clipsal if meant getting the F1 back here, I know I wouldn't.

Avalon sounds interesting though, they already have a runway there so maybe the new stig could make an appearance there too!

Seriously though if it went to Calder it would lose prestige and begin to rot because an inner city well sort of street circuit is what makes it so appealing on the world stage now in the first place imho. And that is even taking in consideration other purpose made tracks like Silverstone etc. Street circuits have the added advantage of showcasing the city and the hospitality that goes with it.

Perhaps it is time to move it on (after 2015) to say Perth or Brisbane/Gold Coast to revitalise it, (that's if they even want it) if it has met it's use by date in central Melbourne. Just a thought.

Bud Bud.
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #11
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

I would love to see F1s at Calder, but cannot see this ever happening. Calder would need that much money spent it isnt funny, the place has not been maintained for years

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #12
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I'm more partial to the idea of turning avalon into a racetrack..

Calder while it would be nice to see the place properly turned around they would need to flatten about 99% of the current facilty meaning it would probably be cheaper to start new somewhere else than re-hash the old circuit as it's far too small and lengthening it would probably mean flattening the "Thunderdome" which would cost huge money.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #13
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT450
If it aint broke dont fix it. Leave it in Melbourne . If you wanted to take it to a circuit proper then Phillip Island would be the best we have but then access will be a problem as it is with the bikes. Calder is in it's death throes , it was never a great race circuit but today it's a mere shadow of what it was in it's hey days.Bob Jane has ruined more motorsport complexes and events so for gods sake don't let him near this one.
I was at the 1984 GP held there and compared to the rest of the world circuits it was embarassing even then. Melbourne has everything needed without the necessity of sitting in long traffic jams as would be the case at the other 2 choices. My thoughts.
GT450
Spot on!

The money would be far better spent upgrading P.I and access to it....

Probably cheaper too..

Calder will succumb to developers sooner or later, its already basically surrounded by housing..

From an ongoing use perspective the do gooders will have it killed for noise if nothing else.

Old 23-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #14
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Spot on!

The money would be far better spent upgrading P.I and access to it....

Probably cheaper too..

Wasn't PI Rules out a few years ago because of the estimated speeds at T1?

PI would be great, already the best Grand Prix style ciruit in the country just need some better facilities which could be used for F1, V8's & MotoGP.

Like Sealed Parking areas
Old 23-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #15
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
Exactly, Calder has no trams,trains, taxi facilities. Transport would be a nightmare.
Neither does Melbourne Airport - but a hell-of-alot of people manage to get there...
Old 23-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #16
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Wasn't PI Rules out a few years ago because of the estimated speeds at T1?

PI would be great, already the best Grand Prix style ciruit in the country just need some better facilities which could be used for F1, V8's & MotoGP.

Like Sealed Parking areas
Yes you'd have to modify areas of the circuit significantly for an F1, but have 2 or 3 versions of it, the land is there, its a better option IMO.

Old 23-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #17
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
GT450
Oh good lord that was a laugh! Im sorry? Melbourne isnt broken? Each year that place has not turned a profit. For the first couple thats understandable, but now its the laughing stock of the f1 series. I mean if you were running an event for profit, & it keeps making a loss, youd call it broken!

Phillip island is a sound second choice, but as mentioned that transport thing is a factor. However (also as previously mentioned,) calder is a joke now. It needs so much in the way of upgrades facility wise, & more infrastructure in the way of transport & accomodation its not funny. Any event held there would have to turn a heavy profit straight off the bat. Not an impossible task, but pretty bloody close to it.

I may be stepping right out here but what about Bathurst? If im correct it used to be held there over 50 years ago. & Lex Davidson (grandfather of current v8sc drivers, Will & Alex) was the last winner there. That would be awesome. However i dont think the plummet down the mountain would suit the f1's or conrod. I think its too long & run out of breath. Just thinking out aloud.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #18
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:

Calder will succumb to developers sooner or later, its already basically surrounded by housing..
Whoever buys the place.... may as well have a bonfire for their money... They'll get the same return....

Bob has filled that place up with more scrap and rubbish than most of the rubbish tips in Victoria combined...

There is so much soil there (every day fill is dumped there by the truckload)... it would take years just to get the land flat...

Soil is contaminated... they would never get building approval... and if they did - things will collapse...

The whole thunderdome is based on dirt and old tyres (where do you think he was taking the scrap tyres from his tyre stores...)

Who knows what will happen to the place...

My guess is that it will turn into a wasteland... moreso than it is at the moment...
Old 23-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #19
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes you'd have to modify areas of the circuit significantly for an F1, but have 2 or 3 versions of it, the land is there, its a better option IMO.
Assuming the local PI residents don't get the $#!t's on again..

Didn't they put the stopper of the grand plan of the Golf Course & 5 Star Hotel down there?
Old 23-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #20
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Some interesting comments on that article, particularly comment #19!! That person is right on the money!!

IMO leave it at Albert Park, it works well there, close to the city and a great showcase. If it has to move from there then a dedicated motorsports complex at Avalon is the only sensible alternative, the centrepiece being a full on Grand Prix track.

If they go the Avalon way the first thing that needs to be done is set up a permanent 20km exclusion zone for residential housing. That is a must to ensure the long term life of the facility. Calder is dead in the water because of housing encroachment. Had there been an exclusion zone there it'd be a viable alternative.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 01:27 PM   #21
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Bathurst is a big time no go unless you cut out the entire "mountain" section of the track.

F1 cars don't like big dips and drops like "The Dipper", they could sort gearing for Conrod no worries but the amount of changes they would have to make means it's not really a sensible option.
Old 23-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #22
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Finally someone has realised a permanent track is the answer.
Avalon seems ideal as Calder is too built up now.
At least the general public would get some use from the circuit during the year.
Could include other sporting venues as well.
Old 23-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #23
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
GT450
Oh good lord that was a laugh! Im sorry? Melbourne isnt broken? Each year that place has not turned a profit. For the first couple thats understandable, but now its the laughing stock of the f1 series. I mean if you were running an event for profit, & it keeps making a loss, youd call it broken!

Phillip island is a sound second choice, but as mentioned that transport thing is a factor. However (also as previously mentioned,) calder is a joke now. It needs so much in the way of upgrades facility wise, & more infrastructure in the way of transport & accomodation its not funny. Any event held there would have to turn a heavy profit straight off the bat. Not an impossible task, but pretty bloody close to it.

I may be stepping right out here but what about Bathurst? If im correct it used to be held there over 50 years ago. & Lex Davidson (grandfather of current v8sc drivers, Will & Alex) was the last winner there. That would be awesome. However i dont think the plummet down the mountain would suit the f1's or conrod. I think its too long & run out of breath. Just thinking out aloud.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #24
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People need to accept there is as much if not more interest in the broader "social carnival" aspect of the race than the motorsport itself.
Look at the Melb Spring racing Carnival, how many people honestly go to oaks day or the Melb cup to watch horse racing.?
P.I would be the only alternative but the interest in the event just wouldn't be there without the significant entertainment and hospitality value generated by the close (walking distance) proximity of melb CBD...

Old 23-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #25
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
People need to accept there is as much if not more interest in the broader "social carnival" aspect of the race than the motorsport itself.
Look at the Melb Spring racing Carnival, how many people honestly go to oaks day or the Melb cup to watch horse racing.?
P.I would be the only alternative but the interest in the event just wouldn't be there without the significant entertainment and hospitality value generated by the close (walking distance) proximity of melb CBD...
Agreed, #1 Preference should be to keep it where it is but make it more finacially viable.

In 2009 i stayed approx 3mins walk from the track, we may have only made up 2 tickets at the event, but we were also 2 Vline Tickets to and from Melb, 2 Dinners each night & 2 Nights accomadation, the only other event that omes close to being able to do the same thing was indy but thats gone now.
Old 23-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #26
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Money has already been spent on what it would take to convert Eastern Creek into a F1 track, with the results already released.

Sounds like Calder Park is already more than 12 months behind the game when it comes to bidding for post-2015 F1 races.

Lukeyson
Old 23-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #27
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
.Bob Jane has ruined more motorsport complexes and events so for gods sake don't let him near this one.

That pretty much sums it up really!
Old 23-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #28
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Kind of off topic but how can people who buy houses near airports/race venues complain when they knowingly made a decision to live there?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 23-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #29
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Because of Real Estate agents who sell on the premise that the noise will be contained or reduced.....

Lukeyson
Old 23-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #30
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Agents will say anything to make a sale, they will tell you the sky is black if they had too. I cant see RA's having any authority on the subject at all other than false hope.

Sounds more like people buying land cheaper knowing full well there is noise and then having a sook to try and get the racing/planes removed. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane