Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-09-2010, 12:13 AM   #1
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 
Default Cars"guide" VE2 Omega vs Falcon XT comparison - how ridiculous is the score?

Link to this comparison:

http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/new...comparo_review

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 19-09-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 12:24 AM   #2
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

i now have a ve omega ute and having had a fg falcon also i can say that the falcon is so much better than the commodore!
that review is a joke written buy a holden fan
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 02:34 AM   #3
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought he said more good things about the FG but then when it went to a score it was arce about fase.
Old 19-09-2010, 03:13 AM   #4
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Wow..... A new model out ranks the current... something new there... not!

Not sure what people are getting worked up about - seemed to be a close run thing with the VT Mk XXVIII getting the cookies. I'd say that the extra standard safety items where what got it over the line.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

I didn't realise the FG body shape harks back to the BA? Wasn't the FG all new? Maybe he's talking about the looks? I'm always mistaking FG's for BF's at 20 paces.
Old 19-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
Gaz
Got Ghia?

lol at It's consumption figure.. over 2L/100km worse than the falcon. They said ethanol blend, didn't even say if it was E85 or E10...

Bzzzzt, try again carsguide.
Old 19-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

It CLEARLY stated it was E85....

Do you guys need to have it pointed out to you like children, why the Falcon didn't get it, you guys look at power and think that;s all their is too it, if this is what the boffins in ford head office are doing its no wonder falcons dropping the ranks. At the end of the day the Commodore is the better all round package, with better equipment levels and better safety gear, and whilst the 3.0 may not be competitive the 3.6 certainly is.

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
Deco28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
lol at It's consumption figure.. over 2L/100km worse than the falcon. They said ethanol blend, didn't even say if it was E85 or E10...

Bzzzzt, try again carsguide.
I'd sa it was E85, so technically the fuel consumption is good. E85 burns 25% more fuel, so if you use that as a rule, using normal petrol it'd use abou 10.3l/100km.

Both cars are good, but of course the Commodore is now better, it just got updated...
Deco28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #9
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having not looked at a VEII Commodore, I'd say on paper it does look to be a better car than the FG XT Falcon. Of corse the meatier engine, much better transmission and better dynamics appear to make it a better drivers car. The article has bias, they all do, just in this case it's a little pro Holden. Bring on FGII.
Old 19-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #10
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Well the Omega now comes with a colour touch screen and alot more standard kit in a more visually appealing package than XT, it might drive like crap but that's not what these base models are about...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #11
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome
i now have a ve omega ute and having had a fg falcon also i can say that the falcon is so much better than the commodore!
that review is a joke written buy a holden fan
I'm with you captain awesome.
Let me say from the start, if I thought a Holden or any other make was better I'd buy it.

When my BF was written off and I was looking for a replacement, I rented a near new Commodore for a week to see what they are like. I was shocked at how bad it was and that's comparing it to a BF!

I then test drove an FG and there was no contest ... the FG was in another class. Ford advertising should tell prospects to "Go drive a Commodore first!"
I don't know how improved the VE 11 is, but it would have to be by a country mile to be anywhere near an FG.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #12
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why are people getting so uptight over this?

The article seems quite fair if you ask me. It's not always about power.

Remember the type of people who buy Omegas, and XTs don't give a stuff about the way they perform.

Last edited by Ryan; 19-09-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #13
bluebloodxr8
Was born with blue blood

good point Pedro,
I had a VE Commode rental for a month in January, and was shocked at how poor the driving experience was.
Yes I know it is a rental, but it only had 14,000km on the clock.
Engine had no torque, transmission always guessing, never in the correct ratio, and dropping down 2 gears at the slightest hint of a hill. My BF was all over it in every respect.
People who are undecided between the two, should definitely hire one for a week.
Old 19-09-2010, 03:36 PM   #14
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney!
It CLEARLY stated it was E85....

Do you guys need to have it pointed out to you like children, why the Falcon didn't get it, you guys look at power and think that;s all their is too it, if this is what the boffins in ford head office are doing its no wonder falcons dropping the ranks. At the end of the day the Commodore is the better all round package, with better equipment levels and better safety gear, and whilst the 3.0 may not be competitive the 3.6 certainly is.

Stoney!
Quoted for the truth.

It is sad that too many here can't look past the badge on a car.
Some of the comments on this board are so immature, I really have to wonder the age and mental state of members.

The VE2 isn't perfect but neither is the FG. For the $$ the standard equipment offered by the VE2 far out does the FG. Ford have lacked in this area of a long time. If they're smart Ford would start offering some value for $$. Not everyone needs a neck snapping turbo 6. Some want a decent ride and a few gadgets. C'mon Ford, FG2 better offer something to EVERY buyer.
Old 19-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #15
anto
Za Dom spremni

people are immature because they dont agree ? I think you need to get off the high horse for a sec..

how does the ve far "out do" the falcon ? a gimmicky touch screen and a $300 airbag option available in the ford are the only real equipment level difference.
Oh and the e85....no thanks !
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #16
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto
people are immature because they dont agree ? I think you need to get off the high horse for a sec..

how does the ve far "out do" the falcon ? a gimmicky touch screen and a $300 airbag option available in the ford are the only real equipment level difference.
Oh and the e85....no thanks !
A) Tounch screen is not just a gimmicky & will very soon be std across all cars!! Personally for my, this is a HUGE advantage Commodore has over Falcon....
B) the $300 air bag is not std in the the Falcon, this is probably why Holden socred better here!! It is not about what is an option, but about what is std!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 04:59 PM   #17
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I just saw the story in the paper, pretty stupid how they have the Redline SS and a G6E (poorly photoshopped) on the cover and they're only testing the base models.

Ford should drop the XT. It's ugly and cheapens the image of Falcon, plus it doesn't sell. Particularly these days when the Omega has been spiced up to shed that base model feeling. Arghhh it makes me so mad that Ford persists with the POS XT. How can they be selling XR6s with leather & 18s for $35k and still have XT's RRP set at $40k. Either change the RRP to 30 grand & change those ugly red tail lights or kill it with fire.
Old 19-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
A) Tounch screen is not just a gimmicky & will very soon be std across all cars!! Personally for my, this is a HUGE advantage Commodore has over Falcon....
A touch screen?

You mean an electronic device that requires you to look at it while using it therefore taking your attention of the road?

Like a mobile phone does?

Surely such devices are illegal.........

This could get interesting.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #19
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Quote:
The three-litre V6 is running on an ethanol-blend and it's a little smoother - the sweeter fuel has not roughed the V6 up. It still feels a little undergone through the mid-range compared to the Ford and the trip computer ended the same loop showing 13.7 litres per 100km, which corresponds to Holden expectations of increased fuel use on E85.
says an ethanol blend.. doesn't say it WAS E85. I'll wait and see some extra tests when it is definitely E85.

Falcon quoted is 9.9, was using 11.1 - Lets assume their test route uses 12% more than ADR average (Seeing test drives have actually seen the falcon figure being a little more accurate than the commodore).

VE uses 9.1, mark it up 12% like the falcon = 10.2 to get that up to the 13.7 they showed is more like a 34.5% increase - bit more than 25%.

I agree the Omega has it over the XT, easily. I don't see curtain airbags as a big selling point to differentiate, that said at $300 Ford should just be including them. The touch screen is also a big positive. Ford's mono screen is a joke in this age and when looking for cars I knocked back many xr6t's over it.

Considering some other comparisons carsguide have done and the end rating, those scores are very odd. It may have been justified at 1 or 2 points, a gap of 6 makes an uneducated reader think the falcon is crap compared to the omega.
Old 19-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #20
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
A touch screen?

You mean an electronic device that requires you to look at it while using it therefore taking your attention of the road?

this is part of the new safety standards australia , not to mention finger prints on the screen all the time , it would be hard trying to explain you werent fooling with the screen when you run up the back of that volvo , when youR left index finger has been severed and is somewhere in the ICC .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 06:19 PM   #21
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A touch screen?

Yes, that would be the one!!!

I was thinking the other day as I drove along in my FG, that every button in the center dash (except for the round one & the ones on each side) require me to take me eyes off the road to find which one I want. Even the 4-5 ones at the top near the screen need me to look so I get the right one. Might as well make it a touch screenn!!!

Lets make radios, air conditoners illegal!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 06:40 PM   #22
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I dont think people really care about the result its just the article doesnt match the score. There was no real area where the VE outdid the FG yet the score is an easy victory to the Commodore.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #23
Dave R

Speaking of the interior, I just noticed that Carsguide used an image of the SV6 interior instead of the Omega's interior... Morons.
Old 19-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #24
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto
$300 airbag option available in the ford are the only real equipment level difference.
If you are being slugged $300 by Ford as an option for the airbag when the car is built, you can bet that it is only really costing them $50 or so for it.

It should be in the car as standard in the first place. But as with Ford of late things just seem to be a cost cutting exercise and IMO to their detriment.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #25
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
Why are people getting so uptight over this?

The article seems quite fair if you ask me. It's not always about power.

Remember the type of people who buy Omegas, and XTs don't give a stuff about the way they perform.

Spot on, every time a Commodore gets a better review all these online "experts" seem to think that they are wrong

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #26
Starter Motor

ANCAP Ratings

FG Falcon 34.61 out of 37

VE Commo 33.16 out of 37

Does this mean that the Falcon would far out do the Commodore if it had the side air bag.
70773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #27
anto
Za Dom spremni

yes I agree it should be standard but for 300 lousy bucks, its a non issue to me. In fact for the 300 bucks you get the safety pack inc curtain airbags, electric pedal adjustment and an alarm

I was mereley questioning the claim that omega has it over the XT.
and Im sorry, touch screens are gimmicky ,what is the benefit of having to touch the screen to adjust volume as opposed to a button.....? none. All you end up with is a smudged dirty screen, no thanks.
On the other hand a voice command system ala mondeo wouldactually be something usefull.
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 07:51 PM   #28
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The airbag debate raises its ugly head.

My 2c. If the base Mondeo can offer seven airbags as standard, and every other safety feature, then why can't the base Falcon? Then again its a $300 option, if you can't spare $300 for side airbags on your brand new car then you really don't want them.

The review. It's biased towards Holden. That's obvious. But the VEII seems to be an overall better car than the FG XT, it packs much more equipment and like it or hate it, people respond to that with their wallets. FGII should correct this, and hopefully Ford will bring Ford SYNC and My Ford, with some minor changes, that'll put us back in front.
Old 19-09-2010, 08:07 PM   #29
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Well the articles says that it won on features and the safety stuff.

Quote:
VERDICT

Both the Commodore and the Falcon are comfortable, spacious and capable family cars but the VEII has - as you'd expect - overtaken it in terms of features and safety gear. The latest version of the top-selling Commodore hasn't changed much but it has improved some of the areas that prompted complaints (the centre stack in particular).
Mind you for people saying that buyers don't care about how the car goes and handles, then why take it thought the Adelaide Hills?? Shouldn't the test have been in heavy traffic?

Last edited by vztrt; 19-09-2010 at 08:13 PM.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #30
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Both cars are evolutions of long-running body shapes, the VE being the more recently and majorly overhauled in 2006 while the FG's body shape harks back to the BA.
BA XT

FG XT

VZ

VE

Quote:
The Ford is still a handsome machine but neither is on the cutting edge of styling.
sheesh... picky...