Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-09-2005, 07:59 PM   #1
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Tractors

: Alright out there, who like me has their own tractor??? I had to ask, my tractor is my other 4 wheeled addiction. I have a feeling that most of you guys a city slickers, and wouldn't have much of an idea about the country bumpkin life!!

I have a Massey Ferguson 135, that I did up with my grandfather and father about 9 years ago. Restored it back to its original red and had to put a roll bar on (i used to call it my tractors spoiler... that was when i was 12).

As a part of work i'm also drive Kubotas and Isekis ( :nutsycuck ). And also the family has a prehistoric chamberlin.

Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Hmmmm... me and zee Leningrad Cowboys love zee traktor. Zey are very sexy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 08:30 PM   #3
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I have a 1950's Fordson Major Kero/petrol.
It is an original unrestored. Converted to electric start, but still has the crank handle. Is a bit rough, but works well.
TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 08:32 PM   #4
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

We also have a ride on mower that often fulfills the duties of a tractor! I have a 12 volt hydraulic pump and a ram, and was going to make up a little blade for it.
TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 08:54 PM   #5
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

I wanna see an oldskool tractor with a turbo!!! :
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 08:59 PM   #6
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Mel post a pic of the chamberlin

I have a friend who restores these, bloody amazing peice of equipment
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 09:02 PM   #7
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Mel post a pic of the chamberlin

I have a friend who restores these, bloody amazing peice of equipment
Haven't got one at the moment but will try and get one for you on the weekend when i pull it out of the shed to do the slashing! I don't mind the chamberlin its good fun but a tank to drive! lol
Old 20-09-2005, 09:04 PM   #8
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

used to drive around on an old Ferguson on my dads property as a kid. Then he sold it for an International a few years later. Both were tough old things.. neither floated as I managed to drive both of them into the dam!

I had a great childhood!

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 09:40 PM   #9
Dezza
Parts bin special

I don't have a tractor but my dad has two of them. He has a 1977 International and a 1978 International (I forget the actual model codes but I think the 77' is a 454 or something like that and the 78' could be a 784). The 78' has a front-end loader and a cab. It also has some serious brake issues. No matter how many times, the tractor has been in to get those brakes fixed, the brakes continue to stop working. We reguarly have to bleed the brakes to get a bit of pedal pressure back. The coolest tractor I've driven though was an old Fiat that Dad used to own (it was mainly used to run a pump). Once we could get it started (a small fire burnt out the electrics, so we had to tow-start it) it was great fun to drive. I found a brochure picture of a similar Fiat http://www.puddingsworld.com/Machine...20PAGE%201.jpg

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 09:43 PM   #10
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_silver_ghia
I don't have a tractor but my dad has two of them. He has a 1977 International and a 1978 International (I forget the actual model codes but I think the 77' is a 454 or something like that and the 78' could be a 784). The 78' has a front-end loader and a cab. It also has some serious brake issues. No matter how many times, the tractor has been in to get those brakes fixed, the brakes continue to stop working. We reguarly have to bleed the brakes to get a bit of pedal pressure back. The coolest tractor I've driven though was an old Fiat that Dad used to own (it was mainly used to run a pump). Once we could get it started (a small fire burnt out the electrics, so we had to tow-start it) it was great fun to drive.
Yup, Internationals have NO BRAKES.. (Thats why I took it swimming. I was jumping up and down on the brake pedal thingy.. made no difference.)

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 09:49 PM   #11
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Yup, Internationals have NO BRAKES.. (Thats why I took it swimming. I was jumping up and down on the brake pedal thingy.. made no difference.)
Bugger! Dad's 77' has been a good tractor and has never had brake problems. I don't know why the 78' keep running out of brakes. Dad nearly took it swimming one time as well! Lucky a fence post was enough to keep it from slipping over the bank. We managed to tow it away from the dam with the 77' so we did well.

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
Old 20-09-2005, 10:29 PM   #12
Kapn_Kiwi
It is hard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Lies! our International never lets off the brakes. Granted, it's been serviced once, maybe twice in the past 15 years, but when towing the boat out my uncle's gotta bang the crap outta the brakes with a hammer.
Old 20-09-2005, 10:36 PM   #13
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Ha ha i'm a slicker but had a brief stint in the sticks and got myself a 1978 yanmar 186 d 4wd tractor with a fel and back hoe. Paid $4500 for it and used and abused it till it was dead then sold it for $4000 to a china man. Definatly got me moneys worth.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 11:42 PM   #14
NZ
~~~

The day I got her. Not lookin so shiney now tho!

And the previous one that was replaced...

NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 11:44 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

: I was told today that apparently there is a club here in Wagga who all live in town, but they have tractors, and they put them on trailers, take them out to paddocks and just drive around in them in a line.
Nearly wet myself laughing!
Old 20-09-2005, 11:47 PM   #16
NZ
~~~

hahahaha wtf??
Old 20-09-2005, 11:50 PM   #17
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ
hahahaha wtf??
yep that was my reaction too! :. Just a bunch of retired guys who buy their little hobby tractors, not big enough to do any real work with, and go and get together and quite literally just drive them round a paddock following each other.

Almost worth tracking them down to see it :.
Old 20-09-2005, 11:58 PM   #18
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They have an annual "plough in" here every year, BYO tractor and plough away. Some of these guys spend serious money collecting these things and restoring them. I met a bloke who showed me a shed full of old JDs, gave him something to do on wet days.

regards,
tote
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 12:01 AM   #19
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ

And the previous one that was replaced...

We had a Fiat 540 too, good tractor but seriously crap electrics. Oh well Ducatis are no different and I owned one of those too.....
regards,
Tote
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 12:14 AM   #20
NZ
~~~

That one had over 10500 hours on it. And yeah none of the electrics worked either. The starter packed it in as well. The guy down the road had a later model probably about 15 years younger and it had the same starter so I pinched it from that. That one was traded for 12k plus gst and then resold for 14k plus gst. I was amazed. People pay stupid prices for small FWA tractors with a FEL.
Old 21-09-2005, 12:27 AM   #21
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Ok, so its not a tractor...but its the only photo of our farm stuff I've got...Its got a tractor motor! If you ever get a chance (and you haven't seen one before) take a look in the back of a header...damn amazing piece of machinery!

Maximum torque at 1750rpm :nutsycuck
#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 12:35 AM   #22
megsy
Undergraduate EB Operator

russ thats one of the newer ones too, my dad owns a JD 6120 and we have a collection of some older stuff including an MF 1105 and a MF 35 i also drive a MF135 for work when im at home
-----------------------
megsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 12:42 AM   #23
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

We have a new John Deere 7720 and a 6620 at our family property.

Dont drive either of them much anymore coz it never rains, the big one is so comfy tho!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 12:54 AM   #24
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

As a part of work i'm also drive Kubotas and Isekis ( :nutsycuck ). And also the family has a prehistoric chamberlin.[/QUOTE]

ALRIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a Kabota tractor with a kiwi esky ! Hope it holds enough cans to get the feild ploughed with out to many stops ! HAHAHAHA :

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 12:57 AM   #25
megsy
Undergraduate EB Operator

i believe they have ciggy lighters, for plugging in the fridge, full of cans
-----------------------
megsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 01:27 AM   #26
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote
We had a Fiat 540 too, good tractor but seriously crap electrics. Oh well Ducatis are no different and I owned one of those too.....
regards,
Tote
Fiats must have really bad electrics. In a previous post, I mentioned a small fire in Dad's old Fiat. An electrical fault was what started the fire. At least Dad put out the fire before it took hold, and once the tractor was running without many electrics, it ran well. Gee I miss the old Fiat

Old 21-09-2005, 02:51 PM   #27
XT UTE 68
GIVIT Rally 84 BARRA XE

In the city now but grew up on a farm, we had a Massey Fergurson 65. I think it was about 1970 model. It just kept going,

It never really had much ever go wrong.
XE BARRA - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11382891 - 2007 GER Via Birdsville, 2008 via Broken Hill, 2009 via Cape York, 2012 via Karumba, 2014 via Innamincka, 2016 GIVIT RBR, 2017 via Boulia, 2018 Via Mighty Murray, 2019 Via Dig Tree, 2020 Via Thargomindah, 2021 Via Lawn Hill Gorge, 2023 Westmar - Gunnedah

Sponsors, London Fire & Safe www.fireextinguisher-and-safes.com, G&D exhausts and suspension Beenleigh , Beenleigh Bob Jane
XT UTE 68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 03:45 PM   #28
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will have to wait for Bob65 to return from holidays to find out what he had ...... but I know I had fun growing up in a backyard full of tractors & trucks :P

I do know one front end loader was a Massy Ferguson .... not sure what model ....... I wonder if Mum & Dad still have any piccys of us sitting up on them .......
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 11:12 AM   #29
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Oval Mopar Man
As a part of work i'm also drive Kubotas and Isekis ( :nutsycuck ). And also the family has a prehistoric chamberlin.
ALRIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a Kabota tractor with a kiwi esky ! Hope it holds enough cans to get the feild ploughed with out to many stops ! HAHAHAHA :[/QUOTE]

haha.. it gets used in a vineyard.. not too much ploughing, plenty of spraying and towing trailers at harvest!!! The iseki isn't to my liking not enough cab space, you feel like your driving a shoebox but the Kubota isn't too bad. Trying to explain to a girl i work with at my other job about why there is 12 forward gears and 6 reverse gears!! Just like talking to a brick wall, another city slicker!!

I've backed my MF into a creek, have had a HUGE wheel stand trying to pull out tree stumps, (its hasn't got enough guts, i knew that but still wanted to try) the only thing stopping me was the jib on the back... won't be trying that in a hurry!! And dropped a car on it... hence why it had to be rebuilt!!
Old 22-09-2005, 12:11 PM   #30
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

We had a Interrnational Harvester with magneto no hydaulics..Old as..
Then in 60's we purchased a Fordson Dexta..3 cyl Perkins engine.With live drive power take off.Then a David Brown with front end loader, BUT manual steering!! And wfa bakes as well..Geese to think this co. made the Aston Marton...Then went onto 4 wd Case..Had a few farm bikes as well..Now 4 wd Honda...We also have a Fordson with fel to leplace the D.B it's engine corroded through cylinder bore [often a prob with Ford diesels] We just fitted new cylinder sleeves to all cylinders and its been fine ever since..Would have to be 30 y.o now...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post