Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-10-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

Default wiring issue

i bought a piece off ebay...the rear air-con vents,this one is off a fairmont & has a light in it...my futura has no light. I got the piece installed, & there is wiring running to the new bulb...but there is no wire to run to it. is this a wire/connection i can get from a wreckers or something...or can i splice it into something already there...if so which wire? can i hack it into the auto shifter light? they are in the same area

i am quite adept at removing/replacing trim & panels, no prob getting to anything...but not so good at electrical stuff

all help appreciated greatly

Halfmo Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Quote:
there is wiring running to the new bulb...but there is no wire to run to it
Quite confusing! A little more info needed, or perhaps someone who has done it before will know?
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

part below vents has the light...bulb is there, wire runs from bulb, but has nowhere to connect to. there is a wire near the auto shifter bulb light...but it only runs to what appears to be an earth wire or something. i figured that would be a straight plug in...but it don't fit.
i assume the connection is just different on the different models...the futura doesn't have the required connection to fit the rear vent bulb, and i imagine the fairmont connection is different...pics will come tommorrow of my set-up
Old 13-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

light in question

centre console removed...wire sitting about where light would be...brown plastic bit is the bulb holder

end of light cable at bottom...above you can see where the wiring coming from the bunch of wires including economy button & auto shift bulb to what i assume to be the earth wire - the orange & silver one

the connection of what i figure is earth...the length of the wires from the rear bulb to this one coming from up front suggest they would connect...but the connections don't match up. this sucker connects to a plain black wire that runs under the handbrake to who knows where
Old 13-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

The wire going to the handbrake is an earth and it operates the handbrake light on the dash. If you want that rear foot light to work properly, you will need to connect it to the courtesy light circuit. With a multimeter, you might be to find this circuit in the connector going to the centre console.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #6
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

that's what i was thinking...might need a pro to hook that up
Old 13-10-2009, 10:53 PM   #7
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

oh lol the plug thats pluged in it to your hand brake switch if u what the light to work u will need to folow this Step found on this link

Footwell Courtesy Lights
http://www.aufalcon.com/cgi-bin/inde...hdocs/footwell

i ahve done this to my au i have all the footwells light up lol not hard to do if u folow the steps
Old 13-10-2009, 10:58 PM   #8
xrford
WAGONE

i havnt read that link there but i just run another cable off the interior dome light down the pillar and under the carpet.
Only problem is that it will also come on when you turn the interior light on when the doors are shut if that bothers you at all?
xrford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2009, 06:08 AM   #9
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrford
i havnt read that link there but i just run another cable off the interior dome light down the pillar and under the carpet.
Only problem is that it will also come on when you turn the interior light on when the doors are shut if that bothers you at all?
doesn't that mean i'd have to pull off the the headliner? that sounds like a nightmare, but that light arrangement is sweet with me
Old 14-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #10
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

i find tapping it from the Ing Key light its the best way thay all come on when u trun the lights on and when the doors open like the dome light
Old 14-10-2009, 05:39 PM   #11
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

i figure that will be the best option

thanks for the input guys
Old 14-10-2009, 11:01 PM   #12
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

np mate just folow the steps on the link and u cant go wrong