Old 15-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Default Hit & Run in Melbourne

From Nine MSN (link)
Terrible story.

But the thing that really gets to me is this:
Quote:
Lostitch, a probationary driver who has incurred 19 demerit points for speeding offences, was arrested at his home on Thursday afternoon.
He's 20, and he's got 19 demerit points??? Clearly a driver who does not bother with the rules of the road....

I hope they throw the book at him and make an example...

A young driver like that - who has had a license for a maximun of 2 years, must have clearly lost his license before (first year i believe is 5 points allowed, and everyone else has 12 points - so do the math)...

Makes me sick in the stomach that things like this happen, he shouldn't have been on the road...

It is also alleged that the car he was driving was a V8... (SS commodore??) which again - I thought was illegald for P-platers to be driving....

I don't even know what I want to say - i'm so damn angry about it...

And I can only imagine the families involved (both the victim and the driver) must be angered and upset about the whole situation.

Comments? (Ultimately I don't want a thread closure - so be as fair as possible)...

Old 15-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I read another article on this, and apparently the driver stopped 100m from where he'd hit the woman, removed her purse which was still on his car, and drove off.

Disgusting behaviour, and I hope he gets charged with manslaughter (if not murder). He needs to be made an example of.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Scumbag. He gets to vote too......no wonder this country is going down the toilet...
Old 15-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Trek
Blue blooded

Another person who doesn't value their own existence.

It'd be great if we could just do away with people who commit crimes of a certain level. Wipe the Earth of them, because they clearly have no value for other's lives either. But then the PC "oh no, that's not how you handle it" brigade would jump in just before such a thing to come into existence once again. Death penalty needs to be brought back to keep the population in check, or at least reduce the amount of 'bad eggs' out there.
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
michael_ozzie
Consistently Dusty

Or maybe we can put them on a ship and sail them for new lands, preferably Antarctica with only the clothes on their back, on the RMS Titanic.

HD Tow Bar, Rear Airbags, Reversing Camera & Trans Cooler
michael_ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #6
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If its the same person his facebook page is an eye opener....

Old 15-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_ozzie
Or maybe we can put them on a ship and sail them for new lands,
Didn't someone do that a couple of hundred years ago

But as for the OP, knowing the magistrate's we've got these days it'll be "You've been a naughty boy, have xxhrs community service and dont do it again"
Old 15-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
michael_ozzie
Consistently Dusty

Or, "due to your troubled child hood and being bullied when you were at school..."

HD Tow Bar, Rear Airbags, Reversing Camera & Trans Cooler
michael_ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 11:32 AM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they should bring in the eye for an eye rule.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #10
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was a hit and run in Adelaide too...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...14/3037868.htm

Man charged over fatal alleged hit-run
Updated Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:18pm AEDT

Police claim fatal crash driver was drunk (7pm TV News SA)

Video: Police claim fatal crash driver was drunk (7pm TV News SA) Map: Nailsworth 5083 A man has faced court over a fatal alleged hit-run accident at Nailsworth in Adelaide.

A woman in her 40s who was hit by a car at 7:15pm on Wednesday on Main North Road died later in hospital.

Milan Patel, 27, of Prospect, appeared in the Holden Hill Magistrates Court charged with causing death by dangerous driving, leaving the scene of a collision and failing to truthfully answer questions.

Police say Patel's blood alcohol level was over the legal limit at the time.

And this one:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...14/3037788.htm

Charges over Metford hit-and-run
Posted Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:39am AEDT

Map: Metford 2323 A Tenambit man has been charged with drink driving, after the hit and run death of a 24-year-old man at Metford earlier this week.

The body of Aaron Truscott was found on Metford road on Tuesday morning, he'd been hit by a car the previous night.

Yesterday police charged a 53-year-old Tenambit man with six offences, including two counts of dangerous driving occasioning death, as well as failing to stop and assist, and driving under the influence of alcohol.

He was conditionally bailed to appear at Maitland Local Court on November 15.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #11
3vXT

I'd be satisfied with him being locked up for 30 or 40 years.

I understand the whole 'cavemen vs PC *******' thing but you guys really do sound like idiots sometimes.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #12
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903

I understand the whole 'cavemen vs PC *******' thing but you guys really do sound like idiots sometimes.
I understand that 'you' would be satisfied with 30-40years... but do you think that it is enough to deter people from doing the same thing??

I thought the concept of punishment was about 2 things.
1) Fitting the punishment to the crime
2) Detering others from committing the same crime

As previously said - magistrates are awesome at slapping wrists... they should get much better at throwing books...
Old 15-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #13
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
If its the same person his facebook page is an eye opener....

Care to share?
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Care to share?
Not here.. people can look it up if they wish and draw their own conclusions...

Old 15-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #15
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
I understand that 'you' would be satisfied with 30-40years... but do you think that it is enough to deter people from doing the same thing??

I thought the concept of punishment was about 2 things.
1) Fitting the punishment to the crime
2) Detering others from committing the same crime

As previously said - magistrates are awesome at slapping wrists... they should get much better at throwing books...
I don't think a 200 year jail sentence or a death sentence will stop any of these types of things happening. THAT DOESN'T MEAN HE SHOULDN'T GO TO JAIL FOR A LONG TIME, just that there are reasons for this type of behaviour and punishment after the fact will never change the reasons it occurred in the first place.
I'll say it again before people turn their pitchforks on me, OBVIOUSLY HE NEEDS TO BE PUNISHED SEVERELY FOR HIS ACTIONS but it won't stop the next guy from doing the same things with the same result.
Old 15-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
He's 20, and he's got 19 demerit points??? Clearly a driver who does not bother with the rules of the road....
Now here is the scary bit.

19 points is a huge amount but then driving under Brisbane CBD and back ONCE via the Clem7 tunnel at 91 in the 6 lane 80 zone is 24 points. (and they wonder why no one wants to use it).

That driver is a menace but any mention of how many points lost is a waste of time as to the majority of Australians points = "govco stealth tax" and falls into the same catagory as water rates, parking fines, dog registration etc.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #17
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
That driver is a menace but any mention of how many points lost is a waste of time as to the majority of Australians points = "govco stealth tax" and falls into the same catagory as water rates, parking fines, dog registration etc.
True...

Also - someone that has such blatant disregard for the laws will happily drive with a suspended license or no license at all...

How do you stop it???

Who knows...
Old 15-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #18
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Not here.. people can look it up if they wish and draw their own conclusions...
Don't worry I tried to look it up. Said his surname was spelled wrong. Oh well.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #19
jcxr
Tribal Elder

And reports in todays news say he went home and removed the damaged bonnet from his car and covered it with a tarp. Scumbag.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #20
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
True...

Also - someone that has such blatant disregard for the laws will happily drive with a suspended license or no license at all...

How do you stop it???

Who knows...

How do you stop it - unfortunately, nothing will stop this dangerous, irresponsible behaviour - people with this mindset will disregard any laws, or penalties - they live for the moment only.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #21
falconfemme
Dani

These drivers are not punished anywhere near well enough until something like this happens. Unfortunately, I know many hoon drivers. None of them are actually out there to do harm to anyone, but are just stupid with the "that'll never happen to me " attitude. Taking away their licence does nothing. Most will continue to drive anyway. Crushing cars is stupid, as its the car that commited the offence, not always the property of the driver. Harsher penalties for serious driving offenses. Maybe instead of the cops pulling me over constantly for ridiculous reasons (to listen to the exhaust etc) they could do more on more important and possibly fatal things like this ? I know this post will probably anger some, no offense intended !
Old 15-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #22
GTJOHN
Ford 4 Life

Quote:

I agree in part..but people that follow the rules and dont carry on like a pack of braindead dipsh*ts like this clown will pay for this person to be a guest of her majesty for the next 30 -40 years... I work hard and pay my taxes and think that these clowns need to be locked up and made to pay their own way..hard hard labour , make these dregs earn their keep, chain gang to fix decaying roads, schools or anything else that needs fixing by the community... Even if he gets 30 -40 years, the way the prisons are , hell be out in about 8-9 years and more than likely back to being a di&k head...

2nd Car - AU Falcon ,
Black Tickford wheels and Bodykit

---------------------------------------------------
GTJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #23
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconfemme
These drivers are not punished anywhere near well enough until something like this happens. Unfortunately, I know many hoon drivers. None of them are actually out there to do harm to anyone, but are just stupid with the "that'll never happen to me " attitude. Taking away their licence does nothing. Most will continue to drive anyway. Crushing cars is stupid, as its the car that commited the offence, not always the property of the driver. Harsher penalties for serious driving offenses. Maybe instead of the cops pulling me over constantly for ridiculous reasons (to listen to the exhaust etc) they could do more on more important and possibly fatal things like this ? I know this post will probably anger some, no offense intended !
I'd just like to say that this goes well beyond the word "hoon". In a car or not is irrelevant. This guy obviously has very little regard for the well being of others. Do I want him as part of my society? No.

In certain times during life there are lines that should not be crossed, this is one of those times and he went well over it.
If the reports are true of what he did after the incident, then he deserves to never see the light of day again. 60yrs in jail?... stuff that I have to pay for it.
Ropes don't much and I'm handy with a knot or two.
Old 15-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #24
dave289
Banned

How about we put him in a pit of about 10m round with walls about 3m high and covered in grease. Fill many,many buckets with stones and invite anybody who wants to come along and show what they think of this sort of behavoiur, film it and set an example to other dogs out there what will happen to them if they want to have such disregard for members of our community, such as myself , my friends and family and anybody for that matter. If not just bring back the death penalty and be done with this dog.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #25
Mad Maxine

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr
How do you stop it - unfortunately, nothing will stop this dangerous, irresponsible behaviour - people with this mindset will disregard any laws, or penalties - they live for the moment only.
And that's why I'm in favour of bringing back corporal punishment within limits. Talking and making noise in court to these oxygen thieves means less than nothing.

They are so self-centred, they just don't give a toss, after all, they will just ignore the ruling and drive anyway.

I've seen a video of a guy caned for drink driving in another country, and by the time they were done, he was having trouble walking. The message was brought home in a shock of realism, that if you do the wrong thing, you will suffer personally. That might make a few people think.

I despair for the future sometimes.

1977 XC GS Coupe
Mad Maxine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 10:19 PM   #26
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Maxine

I've seen a video of a guy caned for drink driving in another country, and by the time they were done, he was having trouble walking. The message was brought home in a shock of realism, that if you do the wrong thing, you will suffer personally. That might make a few people think.

Everyone knows that if you get blind drunk and go for a drive it could kill or maim you, it doesn't stop people from doing it. The reality of being bashed or castrated or executed will not stop people from behaving in this way. The only people that would sit up and listen are the people that would not do these things in the first place.

Taking peoples licences away won't stop the idiots, locking them up will but only until they are released, then most of them will continue to risk themselves and the rest of us. If we execute every person found guilty of driving 50kph over the limit or being above a specific blood alcohol level, there will be more to fill their place. These ********* behave this way because they don't consider the consequences the way the rest of us do, the threat of anything you can think of won't stop them.

The only way to stop this type of behaviour is by being proactive, not reactive.
Old 15-10-2010, 11:22 PM   #27
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

We could take the Victorian (no, not the state) approach and just kill them. More oxygen and tax money for us, and support the natural order of things where the stupid perish. And just to make people hate them (and their attitude) even more, send the execution bill to the family.

As far as "people" such as this one are concerned, this approach is hardly far-fetched. Sure, itll create the attitude amongst potential crims that "were just gonna die anyway so lets do it", but it would thin out the number of morons in our society.

*sigh* if it were only all that simple though....
SSD-85 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2010, 12:44 AM   #28
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

The missus sister saw this (OP incident) happen so I heard about this just after is happened. I hope this guy gets destroyed. This is were maximum extent of should be enforce. There's stuffing up and owning up but this guy is beyond a joke.
Old 16-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #29
Tribal
OCD keeps me busy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr
Unfortunately for us commoners, people who carry on like this will be the justification for more intrusive forms of governing and control.
Tribal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #30
Trek
Blue blooded

Quote:

So, in all your knowledge, what would be the ULTIMATE deterrent to prevent future cases as much as possible?

Sounds like you're just trying to find something else to criticise here...

As simplistic as the idea I personally suggested is, it has its positives, yes?

To also add to this, rather than have him rotting in jail at our expense, it would be more efficient to remove him from the picture than waste said years on him. Cold? yes. Callous? yes. Punishment befitting of the crime? Most definitely.

I'll acknowledge that the idea suggested is simplistic, however, I'd think there'd be nothing more extreme and deserving than it, in this case.

Last edited by Trek; 16-10-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post