Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #61
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Re: "If you're not speeding, you have nothing to worry about..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Now you are going to love this...no offence intended ...but...

You would get 4 demerit points and have your wallet lighter a few hundred bucks for taking that photo with your phone in Victoria.

Yep...using mobile phone while driving.

Which is exactly what you are admitting to....yeah?
See, what he meant to say was is thay his passenger took the photo, isn't that right 2011G6E
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #62
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Suggestion to Admin: Can we please have one dedicated section for whinging about police,speed cameras and the govt?

A bit like a smokers section, door closed, a bit more subtle and others don't have to suffer the frequent passive whinging
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #63
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
Suggestion to Admin: Can we please have one dedicated section for whinging about police,speed cameras and the govt?

A bit like a smokers section, door closed, a bit more subtle and others don't have to suffer the frequent passive whinging

Maybe we can have one for all the model citizens aswell then....
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #64
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

These threads make me lol.....suddenly everyone is a lidar or radar expert. As the title says, don't speed and you won't get caught. Trying to convince yourself it might have been the other car in the photo, or the license plate has been tampered with is just crazy.

Suck it up.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #65
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm no fan of the speed camera-revenue scam either but just to address the posters talking about the 7am school zones............. While school may not start this early, there is a good chance kids are still being dropped off by parents at the earlier hours for Out of School Hours Care.

After receiving a $60 parking ticket the other weekend, thank you Matty4 for supplying that link - reading now
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #66
hedgehobb

I just like the fact how they keep the 12 Mega pixel 3-D Full HD Dolbly Digital 7.1 THX image and send you something taken from a toaster. *They probably send it through various filters to reduce quality to such an extent that they hold the Ace up their sleeve.

edit: *just pure speculation
hedgehobb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #67
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
..... but just to address the posters talking about the 7am school zones............. While school may not start this early, there is a good chance kids are still being dropped off by parents at the earlier hours for Out of School Hours Care......
well said and correct, and these don't close until 6pm

there are countless other activities for kids at schools that start early or finish late

it's not much to ask people to slow down around schools where our kids are is it?

I get tired of people claiming 'nanny state' like the Daily Telegraph does about anything they don't like and often don't truly understand the reasons for.
3 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #68
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I bet that car in the back ground got a ticket as well..... They have to cover all posibilities to maximize the $$$$$$.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #69
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
well said and correct, and these don't close until 6pm

there are countless other activities for kids at schools that start early or finish late

it's not much to ask people to slow down around schools where our kids are is it?

I get tired of people claiming 'nanny state' like the Daily Telegraph does about anything they don't like and often don't truly understand the reasons for.
What about permanent 40 zones around a fenced school with locked gates?
Old 02-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #70
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD View Post
are there kids there at the time inside the grounds?

is your time that precious that less than 41 instead of less than say 61 for a few hundred metres matters?

personally I would support 24/7 school zones or at least daylight hours ones, it'd help stop part of the whinging: 'what law says I have to carry a watch'
Old 02-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #71
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
are there kids there at the time inside the grounds?

is your time that precious that less than 41 instead of less than say 61 for a few hundred metres matters?

personally I would support 24/7 school zones or at least daylight hours ones, it'd help stop part of the whinging: 'what law says I have to carry a watch'
Doesn't the word 'permanent' imply otherwise?

Time/distance is not the point, it's the 'nanny' behind it, as per your previous whinge about whingers.

Probably the same law that says you don't need an accurate speedo, you just need a 'working' one.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #72
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would think that this sort of scenario would have been tested numerous times and there would be pages of documents to back it up.

While that's the photo you have got sent, they use clearer photos for processing and determining who is at fault. If in doubt they won't issue a fine.

They are not even legally obliged to provide the photo from what I understand.

I'm sure mistake happen but I'd say they would be in quite a small minority and it would likely to be a result of being used incorrectly.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #73
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL , always infallible . Young fella got one in the mail a few years ago now , taken at night . Young bloke " bugger they pinged me , hang on I haven't been in Toowoomba , and only one headlights working , whats going on here "
Rego plate had clear definition of numbers 666 ( which matched his ), sadly the letters where open to interpretation . I guess they thought it was worth a shot hey .
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #74
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
This is one of the main reasons why there is resistance to manning the speed cameras with ordinary people as opposed to sworn officers.

If you question which was the speeding car the sworn officer, all of whom are blessed with eidetic memories and never spend their shifts in the speed camera van watching DVDs will remember the incident and noticed that it was you who was speeding not anyone else.
An ordinary person is incapable of telling if you you speeding as that would make your opinion carry as much weight as theirs.

Also the overtime comes in handy........which is the other main reason.....
Something I found interesting is out my way they used to put speed camera cars on Melbourne-Lancefield road fairly regularly, every morning there would be one of the bastards hiding around the dark around 6AM somewhere along the 40km stretch.

Recently they've disappeared over the last month or two.

Turns out the cars where getting smashed up and operators threatened by a group of people, they haven't been back since.... It was in the local paper.

Our councilor even had a massive fight with the big wigs at VicRoads about it, because they used to love putting that camera on our main highway, but we didn't see any of the money.

They just seem to be normal people rather than police down here in Victoria.

Their base or maintenance workshop is actually around the corner from my work too in Tullamarine.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 02-08-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2013, 12:12 AM   #75
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA2DOR View Post
yea its a worry I had a speed camera van flash me twice on the way into work it was a 60 zone but I know I was sitting dead on 50.there was no one else around (1.30am).hope they were testing it or something but at the end of the day its their word against yours :( goodluck!!
I've heard that those revenue vans give off a test flash every few minutes. I know one time a rough old janitor guy that I know of drove past one that flashed just as he went past it. As he knew he was well below the speed limit, he turned around and approached the cop inside it. The cop inside the van said he was okay and it was just a test flash.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #76
hedgehobb

Sounds more like: "I'm like to scare the #hit out of you because I'm an ahole." flash.
hedgehobb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #77
SPArKy_Dave
Too many Fords........ :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
The radar device if built properly, would have a method for determining how much the frequency of the reflected beam has changed due to the Doppler effect. Any deviation either way would indicate if it the car was headed towards or away from the radar source.
Yes, that's correct.
The Doppler effect is based on an equation which assumes that (in this case) the speed of light (c) is a constant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_Effect

HOWEVER, scientists have been conducting experiments which prove that the speed of light is in actual fact NOT constant.
It's being suggested, that the speed of light may be affected by electromagnetic fields, and other environmental factors.

Therefore, the readings collected by any device employing the speed of light Doppler Effect, could be called into question, as potentially being infinitely variable, and therefore not necessarily accurate, with respect to the ACTUAL velocity of the object being measured.

Here's one recent article from mainstream media -

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/speed...-say-6C9649533

97 EL V8 wagon - cool cruiser, or street bruiser? CLICKY
93 XG panel van - at your door in 60 secs, or the first hr is FREE........ yep, that's the goal.
95 XG ute - awaiting a head gasket...... grrrrr.

74 XB GS pano..... factory optioned with all the good stuff..... not much there now. ........long term resto.
XB Coupe and Van TV Ad
you know........ there's a little bit of Bathurst in every Ford Falcon.... think about it

Last edited by SPArKy_Dave; 03-08-2013 at 08:00 AM.
SPArKy_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #78
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six View Post
I've heard that those revenue vans give off a test flash every few minutes. I know one time a rough old janitor guy that I know of drove past one that flashed just as he went past it. As he knew he was well below the speed limit, he turned around and approached the cop inside it. The cop inside the van said he was okay and it was just a test flash.
I agree with the above - I've been flashed with speed cameras more than a few times in QLD and thought wtf, but have never received a ticket for speeding via the camera ticket system. Not stating that I don't speed, far from it. I've been caught by "manned" radar plenty of times over the years.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #79
prydey
Rob

i clock up around 15000km/year, which includes interstate trips, so probably not as high a road user as many others, but i haven't had a speeding fine in over 15years.

geez, how good a driver must i be
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #80
prydey
Rob

Quote:
clearly you aren't a parent of school age children.

people think that the signposted number in a circle is mandatory minimum. people don't think about potential dangers or 'what if' scenarios. not just school zones either. i work on a street that has a very popular cafe, so has parked cars down both sides of the road with barely enough room for 2 cars to pass between them, with cars pulling in and out of the carpark as well, and yet drivers still smash through there at 50-60km/h!!

be patient on the roads!
Old 03-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #81
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

people think that the signposted number in a circle is mandatory minimum. people don't think about potential dangers or 'what if' scenarios. not just school zones either. i work on a street that has a very popular cafe, so has parked cars down both sides of the road with barely enough room for 2 cars to pass between them, with cars pulling in and out of the carpark as well, and yet drivers still smash through there at 50-60km/h!!

be patient on the roads!
so your 18yrs kid still cant negotiate crossing the road safely?

on a realistic note: 40 zone "must" have flashing lights in NSW as it is now unconstitutional...
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #82
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

This may be fine for city folk where the occasional school is on a main arterial rd.

But here in the stix I know of at least one main rd that has 3 schools in 3km !
You don't need a watch here, nearly all schools on main roads have flashing lights during school hours.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #83
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:

be patient on the roads!
Do you think I'm against lower limits around schools? I'm not, I'm the one being passed by everyone else.
I was just pointing out that there's no one there on Sunday.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #84
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
so your 18yrs kid still cant negotiate crossing the road safely?
mate, time to climb out from under your rock. an 18yr old pedestrian these days would be even more of a danger than a primary schooler. not many of them have the ability to lift their eyes away from some sort of screen long enough to look for cars etc
5 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #85
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Do you think I'm against lower limits around schools? I'm not, I'm the one being passed by everyone else.
I was just pointing out that there's no one there on Sunday.
wrong. schools can be used 7 days a week. schools can actually encourage students and families to use the grounds on weekends as the extra presence helps deter criminal activity.

regardless, a school zone is normally less than a km long. slowing 20km/h for a km is hardly going to hinder anybody.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #86
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They have this amazing invention called flashing yellow lights to let drivers know when the lower speed limit is in force. That way you know instantly and not two weeks later.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #87
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
an 18yr old pedestrian these days would be even more of a danger than a primary schooler. not many of them have the ability to lift their eyes away from some sort of screen long enough to look for cars etc
Dont know about Adders Prydey but around here no one who is 17 or over would be seen dead walking, they all have their own car
Old 03-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #88
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Suggestion for poster: If they annoy you don't open the thread. Go to one that interests you. No need for a special section!

Who'd have thought!!!!
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #89
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Dont know about Adders Prydey but around here no one who is 17 or over would be seen dead walking, they all have their own car
they're still staring at a screen though

actually i reckon adelaide has a fair percentage of that age group that are too lazy to get a licence.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #90
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
wrong. schools can be used 7 days a week. schools can actually encourage students and families to use the grounds on weekends as the extra presence helps deter criminal activity.

regardless, a school zone is normally less than a km long. slowing 20km/h for a km is hardly going to hinder anybody.
All the ones in my area are locked up after hours with high fences. A totally open school with facilities that attract children after hours I totally agree.