Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
blkvt8

Default Melbourne's new super Speed cameras

Melbourne's new super Speed cameras

It's a cylindrical pole about 2m high with 3 Perspex stripes on it (hidden cameras, one for each lane of the highway), and there's some matching sensors on the far side of the road in the gutter.

When you see the stripes it means that there is a speed camera. The locations for these new cameras are listed below. The one in question is located at the bottom of a very steep hill. Of course it is illegal for a radar or mobile speed camera to be set up in these sort of positions but its ok if its fixed.

Melbourne's new super cameras locations

Burke Rd & Prospect Hill Rd, Camberwell VIC 3124
Springvale Rd & Maroondah Highway Service Ln Nunawading VIC 3131
Royal Parade & Cemetery Rd W, Carlton North VIC 3054
Canterbury Rd & Station St, Box Hill South VIC 3128
Bell St & St Georges Rd, Preston VIC 3072
Warrigal Hwy & N Rd, Bentleigh East VIC 3166
Albert St & Gower St, Preston VIC 3072
Williamstown Rd & Somerville Rd, Yarraville VIC 3013
Warrigal Hwy & Centre Rd, Oakleigh South VIC 3167
Ballarat Rd & Churchill Ave, Maidstone VIC 3012
Spencer St & Dudley St, West Melbourne VIC 3003
Hoddle St & Johnston St, Abbotsford VIC 3067
Punt Rd & High St, Windsor VIC 3181
Dandenong Rd & Clayton Rd, Oakleigh East VIC 3168
Springvale Rd & Cheltenham Rd, Keysborough VIC 3173
Mt Alexander Rd & Maribyrnong Rd, Ascot Vale VIC 3032
Foster St & McCrae St, Dandenong VIC 3175
Geelong Road & Droop Street, Footscray
Sydney Rd & Harding St, Coburg VIC 3058
Millers Rd & Blackshaws Rd, Altona North VIC 3025
Geelong Rd & Geelong St, Kingsville VIC 3012
Fitzroy St & Princes St, St Kilda VIC 3182
Doncaster Rd & Wetherby Rd, Doncaster VIC 3109
Barkly St & Carlisle St, St Kilda VIC 3182
Warrigal Hwy & Batesford Rd, Chadstone VIC 3145
Warrigal Hwy & Centre Dandenong Rd, Cheltenham VIC 3192
Barkers Rd & Denmark St, Hawthorn VIC 3122
Nicholson St & Elgin St, Fitzroy VIC 3053
Smithfield Rd & Epsom Rd, Kensington VIC 3031
Maroondah Highway near where the Bird and Bottle used to be on North side of road, almost on bend in road

blkvt8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
Sgt.Sweetchuck
Starter Motor

I really feel sorry for you Mexicans.
Sgt.Sweetchuck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Sweetchuck
I really feel sorry for you Mexicans.
Yes thats just the new hidden ones add them to the existing cameras and I swear if you pull over anywhere for a pee it will be caught on tape.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

never got a ticket in my driving coureer, and i speed everyday(ie; NOT excessivly, 10-15km), nothing new.. nothing to see move onlong :P

live in vic, and you will understand, it's quite easy not to get a ticket, and that's paying attention to your surroundings, oh thats probably why i've never had an accident, oh I don't know anymore... lol

as much as I hate how stricted victoria seem's, it hasn't affected me as such, but wouldn't mind seeing // signs enacted, but i'm in fantasy land here... lol
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Like the standard cameras werent enough, now you've got these.
Shouldent they be called "Super Saftey Cameras" or something?
Ah wells...
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

we all know its all revenue (speed cameras)

i agree with the red light cameras, i must say... atleast your pedel is your discretion, but speed cameras i will never trust, more chance of causing an accident when braking from say.. 100 to 90, in a 100 zone...

if the driver was doing 5km/h more, he would have passed her before she crossed the road, without looking...
lol
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When i saw the title on the main page all i saw was Melbourne's super speed i all immediately thought was circuit or freeway. But when i clicked the link why was i not surprised when i saw the rest of the title and it said speed camera's . Any wonder why depression is almost a epidemic at levels in Australia .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #8
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation

Don't show Captain Bligh !!!she has enough stupid ideas !!!!
Old 09-04-2010, 10:21 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Government obviously needs more money again.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:24 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Someone should just go over and put tape over the cameras haha. I'm assuming these are the ones that are fixed into the ground?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #11
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Someone should just go over and put tape over the cameras haha. I'm assuming these are the ones that are fixed into the ground?

Someone actually cut the wires on one of the red light camera sensors out here (the installer left them out of the ground).
Old 09-04-2010, 10:47 PM   #12
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a super speed camera?
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #13
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I dont see what the issue is? In Melbourne, there are many Speed and Red light cameras that are fixed and in operation and if you speed through them or run a red...Suck it up and pay the fine. The camera operator/builders/police owners etc of the camera are not at fault. You are!

Laws are there for a reason. Any suggestions on tampering with the camera's is illegal and people who do this...Just end up costing us taxpayers more money in repair bills!
Old 09-04-2010, 10:57 PM   #14
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As if we all ar'nt doing it hard already with the economy like it has been and they go and 'regulate' even more..... And you gotta wait 3yrs to regain points from the date of losing them ......NOT FAIR!!!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #15
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah had a notice inthe mail when i got home tonight got done by fixed speed camera on th cnr of flinders and william st on the 21st of last month(glad i survived that who knows how many people i could have killed if i didnt get that fine 3 weeks after the fact)not happy but i did the crime so its already scheduled to be paid on the due date.lost track of how many new ones ive seen around lately they are nearly on every cnr now.weve got to boot gumby and friends out at the next election
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 11:19 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
I dont see what the issue is? In Melbourne, there are many Speed and Red light cameras that are fixed and in operation and if you speed through them or run a red...Suck it up and pay the fine. The camera operator/builders/police owners etc of the camera are not at fault. You are!

Laws are there for a reason. Any suggestions on tampering with the camera's is illegal and people who do this...Just end up costing us taxpayers more money in repair bills!
Just because its a law, doesn't make it morally right.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 11:26 PM   #17
MRFGXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Yep Krudds going to make you pay for the plasma bonus ten fold any way he can. Nanny state No, nanny Country Yes. Perhaps this is the sign of what we are all in for. Soon we wont be able to pass wind with out the government knowing and fining us for it.

6/6/16 build 2017 plate Race red mustang gt with white solid stripes, tint, x-force exhaust, rear spoiler, 35mm lowered Votgland springs

MRFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #18
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

I drive through a lot of these locations on a daily basis, and they have recently had regular speed/red light combo cameras installed, not these "super" revenue raising cameras.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #19
camfraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
never got a ticket in my driving coureer, and i speed everyday(ie; NOT excessivly, 10-15km), nothing new.. nothing to see move onlong :P

live in vic, and you will understand, it's quite easy not to get a ticket, and that's paying attention to your surroundings, oh thats probably why i've never had an accident, oh I don't know anymore... lol

as much as I hate how stricted victoria seem's, it hasn't affected me as such, but wouldn't mind seeing // signs enacted, but i'm in fantasy land here... lol
Completely agree. I speed from time to time but take notice. Sure, I might get a ticket one day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6
As if we all ar'nt doing it hard already with the economy like it has been and they go and 'regulate' even more..... And you gotta wait 3yrs to regain points from the date of losing them ......NOT FAIR!!!
If you're doing it hard with the economy and don't want to get a fine? Don't speed.

Quote:
So it would be morally right to have less cameras then? Why are people so uptight about speed cameras.
camfraser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #20
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfraser
Why are people so uptight about speed cameras.
Because the tollerance is set so low that speedo error and driving below the limit can still yield a fine. This is immoral - this is theft. This is all in the name of saving lives and it doesnt save ANY. This is about not having enough cops on our streets to protect the innocent because cops in cars cost money. This is about taxing people without calling it a tax.

the government knows this and so do you.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #21
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I can think of a lot of reasons people are uptight about speed cameras, but thats been debated on here so many times I'm just going to leave it alone.

I rarely, probably never, speed around Melbourne these days - theres just no need/opportunity to. The roads are quite congested most of the time, and when they're not the speed limits are reasonable. Plus I know where the cameras are along the routes I usually drive. As a result I havn't had any speeding tickets in over 6 years, and doubt I'll get one from these new cameras. Doesn't mean I agree with them though!
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #22
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
Because the tollerance is set so low that speedo error and driving below the limit can still yield a fine. This is immoral - this is theft. This is all in the name of saving lives and it doesnt save ANY. This is about not having enough cops on our streets to protect the innocent because cops in cars cost money. This is about taxing people without calling it a tax.

+1
Well said.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 11:41 AM   #23
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Don't show Captain Bligh !!!she has enough stupid ideas !!!!
She is busy sightseeing the oil taker on the great barrier reef
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #24
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Exactly!! What was wrong with being pulled over by a copper and being read the riot act? At least this seemed to to be a better influence in 'obeying' ALL the road rules and not just speeding/going to quick.

By having a more visible cop presence, would reduce 'road rage' because we would know that if the behaviour continued (cutting off/lane changing without indicating/tailgating etc) then those responsible would eventually be caught.

Last edited by olfella; 10-04-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: adding a little bit more...
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #25
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

I wanna go back to the good old days when a 6 foot 4 inch tall monolith in a blue shirt climbed out of a high powered sedan made you feel like you were 3 years old hit you with a fine and slapped you upside your head and sent you on your way when you were doing 60 in a 50 zone. Itll stop these little 16 yr old punks in mummys vr ss speeding let me tell you. the very same guy would sit in his car listening to the radio and wave as you went past at 130kmh in 110kmh on a clear day because he knew there was nothing wrong with that.

(this has very little basis in fact - just the way things SHOULD BE)
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #26
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
I wanna go back to the good old days when a 6 foot 4 inch tall monolith in a blue shirt climbed out of a high powered sedan made you feel like you were 3 years old hit you with a fine and slapped you upside your head and sent you on your way when you were doing 60 in a 50 zone. Itll stop these little 16 yr old punks in mummys vr ss speeding let me tell you. the very same guy would sit in his car listening to the radio and wave as you went past at 130kmh in 110kmh on a clear day because he knew there was nothing wrong with that.

Could not have said it better myself.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #27
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

The list provided is fixed speed cameras/red light speed cameras. They are in place. The message is incorrect stating that new super duper cameras will be placed there. I have seen one of these super duper cameras just down the road from Etheridge Ford.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #28
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:

These days a 5 foot female gets out
Old 10-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #29
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:

Mate, you say this in jest but I had a 6ft 4" (maybe even 6ft 5" come to think of it) monolith pull me over around 14 years ago. He didnt fine me, but put the fear of God into me!

I still shake when I think of that bloke......
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #30
camfraser

Quote:

They definitely don't save lives, and I agree more cops on the road would do a better job at doing so.

If you're worried about an inaccurate speedo though, get it re-calibrated.

They'll always be taking our money, at least with speed cameras it's usually in our control (i.e. our right foot) whether they get it or not.
camfraser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post