Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-07-2005, 02:27 PM   #1
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Default National identification card.

I'm sure most of you have heard about this, if not, here are some links to bring you up to speed on the subject:
http://theage.com.au/news/breaking/i...?oneclick=true
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=28824
http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/con...5/s1415038.htm
http://newsbreak.com.au/related/a268015
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...5E1702,00.html

Just curious to see what everyone else here thinks, and PLEASE, nobody turn this into a political thread, lets just stick to the topic of a national ID card for Australians...

The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 02:32 PM   #2
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Um i dont see much point. They can be faked just like any other card.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 02:41 PM   #3
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Oh Puhleeeeeeeeeeease! How many times are the government going to try and implement this? It won't get through parliament, it's just a way to distract people from other current issues.

Although I am rather thankful we don't have 'Homeland Security' over here.. well not yet! :
Old 19-07-2005, 03:05 PM   #4
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Its a pointless waste of time and money. Labor tried to bring it in and it was slammed, hopefully the same will happen if/when the Libs bring it in.

It wont help against terrorism in any way, shape or form.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 03:05 PM   #5
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry but I'm all for it.
Tree huggers aren't but they just don't get it.
The government knows everything about you anyway, why not just make it a bit safer?
We have one here in HK, faked???? sorry.. not if you do it like they have here.
Just my opinion, but if you aren't doing anything wrong, why would you be against it?

Mick.
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 03:11 PM   #6
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Johnny has control of both houses, the only way this will fail is if the Nats rebel.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 03:13 PM   #7
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

I reckon it'd be good because it'd make people easier to identify in a crash, etc etc
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 03:15 PM   #8
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

so how differant is it to our drivers licence? does it have the time we were born or sommin or what religion we are?

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 03:20 PM   #9
MustangNicko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will be different to a drivers licenence because not everyone has a drivers licence... people arent required to carry it around all times, only when you are operating the motor vehicle it was aquired for. I stand "mixed" on this topic.
MustangNicko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 03:25 PM   #10
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

What kind of a world are we living in? An ID card? Geezus, next they'll be implanting chips in our heads and scanning us wherever we go.. Bah!
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 03:30 PM   #11
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

well as long as its free and i don't have to waste my own time getting one then i couldn't care. if they make me pay and go outta my way to get one then i'll be ID free

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 03:35 PM   #12
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
What kind of a world are we living in? An ID card? Geezus, next they'll be implanting chips in our heads and scanning us wherever we go.. Bah!
Exactly. A bit too big brother for me.

The other prob that someone else raised was that it leaves everyone's details in one big database that hackers can get at. That can't be good.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 03:41 PM   #13
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Nah, not the best thing for us right now. Too hard to police.
Old 19-07-2005, 03:41 PM   #14
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I heard on the radio that the London terrorist were all entitled to the British id card legitimately. ..So it would do jack.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 03:48 PM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont terrorists usually plan these things for years? Therefore they could obtain one. I mean if its a suicide bomber think about it. Do you really think they would care about ID?- no they would just blow them selves up. Since when has not having a licence stopped people from driving cars? Realistically its not feasible financially and logically.

question:
"Can i see your ID?"

response:
"BOOM"
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 04:00 PM   #16
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Good point.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 04:08 PM   #17
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

Very good point actually...

Realistically, its not going to hurt and as long as it doesn't cost anything to get I'm all for it.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 04:12 PM   #18
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I dont see the problem with it. Europe has it (well I know atleast France does). Can anyone come up with a good reason why we shouldn't have it? "Big Brother" doesn't count either; if the gov really wants to know something they will.

I dont have a problem with it, as long as I dont have to pay for it I really dont care. I just hope that they are a good size; the french ones are bloody huge which would mean Id have to get another wallet.

If it makes it easier to identify a random person, or if the event in which someone doesn't have one then obviously they have something to hide.

Either way I dont think its going to make any difference. If we get it fine, if not then whatever.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 04:14 PM   #19
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Dont terrorists usually plan these things for years? Therefore they could obtain one. I mean if its a suicide bomber think about it. Do you really think they would care about ID?- no they would just blow them selves up. Since when has not having a licence stopped people from driving cars? Realistically its not feasible financially and logically.

question:
"Can i see your ID?"

response:
"BOOM"
the only response I have to that is that on the upside its boom somewhere other then where they planned it; maybe less causulties.....
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 04:32 PM   #20
GraveDilute

Default ID Card

I don't see how it can be very helpful. When I lived in Japan I had to carry a "Foreign Resident Identification Card" and it actually gave the police more rights over me (as a legal tax-paying resident) than when I was a foreign toursit in some of the so-called enemy states like Syria and Egypt.

There was a point that ID cards work well in Hong Kong. Good point, but this fails to take into account the fact that Hong Kong is monocultural so it's easy to pick "foreign devils" and also that with Chinese government control over the movement of its people (particularly those who dare to move to areas where they may get a decent job at a decent wage) there is a need for a national ID system.

We have already seen that people are able to abuse the system to receive legitimately issued Australian passports and other kinds of ID (take a look at that crappy show, "Border Security"? on Channel 7) and I think that rather than increase security that this kind of system will encourage phishing and ID theft even more. The burden of proving innocence will fall to the innocent victim, and I think that Australians are already wary of the Roman system of law (presumed guilty, prove your innocence), as seen by the widespread condemnation of the Schappelle Corby case, which by their standards of law was completely fair (this is not an invitation to hijack thread, etc, just a point)
GraveDilute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 05:06 PM   #21
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

*meh* I got nothing to hide.

I wouldnt call it a knee-jerk reaction, but its definately "seen to be doing something" as opposed to an effective anti-terrorism initiative.

Cards aside, i'll be interested to see the legislation which supports the idea. i.e. does everyone have to have it on them all the time? what about homeless people, etc. ?
Old 19-07-2005, 05:33 PM   #22
WeirdEL

The claim that an ID card will make us safer is incorrect. As has been mentioned above, the London terrorists would have all been eligible for an ID card. Even if they didn't they would have still been able to travel on public transport and if they couldn't use public transport there are many other places they could have attacked without an ID card. So, there goes that reason, so what is the real reason for the ID card?

I suggest that it will very likely be used to create a database of our movements so we can be tracked going about our lives. That's a problem, even if we have nothing to hide, because the data has the potential to be mis-used and even stolen. One can argue that the government already knows everything about us, but this data is not yet in one place and cannot be connected together without some amount of effort. The national ID card is a way of tying that information together.

Now this is OK if we have a reasonably benevolent government but think what Hitler could have done with this database.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 05:42 PM   #23
lizardmech

They will probably do something stupid like putting RFID chips in them as well.
Old 19-07-2005, 05:44 PM   #24
The Mighty Red

It is also another tool for identity fraud aswell all the other negatives stated above, i am definately against it.
Old 19-07-2005, 05:59 PM   #25
WeirdEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardmech
They will probably do something stupid like putting RFID chips in them as well.
It'll make it easier to track us all as we walk down the street. Funny, it turns out that the only prediction that Orwell is likely to have got wrong in "1984" is the year.
Old 19-07-2005, 06:23 PM   #26
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirdEL
It'll make it easier to track us all as we walk down the street. Funny, it turns out that the only prediction that Orwell is likely to have got wrong in "1984" is the year.
Damn straight! I agree, this is a privacy infringement. The more power we give over, the more they'll take (and then bend us over and force us to take :yeees: ).

Ridiculous, pointless, it won't stop terrorism. They are playing on our emotions and trying to sell it to us in a time where we are a little more worried and fearful.

Do you know what is the best revenge to a terrorist attack is, if you are a victim? Having lived a full and happy stressless life before you die. Kiss your kids often, enjoy each and every day, play lots and laugh even more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 06:24 PM   #27
Kryton

so without reading the links im assuming this ID card is to be carried by everyone at all times?
whats gonna happen if you dont?
the only thing i carry on me is my money.
i dont use a wallet or carry any other form of ID with me.
cards i need stay in the car which is what ill be getting out from to use them.

geez if they wanna do crap like this then why not just make everyone have their name tattooed on 3 different parts of their body?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 06:29 PM   #28
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraveDilute

There was a point that ID cards work well in Hong Kong. Good point, but this fails to take into account the fact that Hong Kong is monocultural so it's easy to pick "foreign devils" and also that with Chinese government control over the movement of its people (particularly those who dare to move to areas where they may get a decent job at a decent wage) there is a need for a national ID system.
Hong kong isn't monocultural at all, in Hong Kong, you're HK Chinese, 30 minutes by train from central HK and cross the "border" your in China.
You are required here to carry ID at all times (within reason) and the police mainly target Chinese Devils, or illegal immigrants from the mainland (who are more often than not here on illegal business/gamblers/hitmen).
In 4 years I have not once had to produce my ID, however I'm not such a scarey looking chum!!

Mick.
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 09:52 PM   #29
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We almost have the national id card its called medicare,along with your drivers licence,your uni card your union card,your work id and whatever else..credit card.
They don't really need a national id except to speed up the id process and as of 2006 your medicare card will have your piccy on it. So as I said they have it in medicare.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 09:56 PM   #30
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
We almost have the national id card its called medicare,along with your drivers licence,your uni card your union card,your work id and whatever else..credit card.
They don't really need a national id except to speed up the id process and as of 2006 your medicare card will have your piccy on it. So as I said they have it in medicare.
Yeah, I was just reading about the changes to medicare cards, and the possible links to it being a National Identification Card:
http://australianit.news.com.au/arti...nbv%5e,00.html
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post