Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 
Default AU XR8 220 heads, how many cc's?

Just wondering if anyone can tell me how many cc's the Yella Terra modified GT40p heads are? And how much can be removed of the decks safely?

Thanks,

-Craig

crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

58cc IIRC, and not too much. Compression is already in the 10's.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
58cc IIRC, and not too much. Compression is already in the 10's.
I thought compression is 9.4
CRAIGAU3220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIGAU3220
I thought compression is 9.4
That was the 185 and 200, it was bumped up to mid 10's for the 220.
Old 23-07-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 
Talking

Well I spoke to Yella terra today, they weren't sure of how many cc's the chambers are, but they took .020" of the heads. They said that they are safe to take off another .020" but cam choice and piston to valve clearance can become an issue.
As well as the machining done in the combustion chambers and ports, they also told me that they machined the spring bases too, but that was more to suit the springs that were bieng used as they interfered with the guide boss or the step on the spring base, or something similar to that. They couldn't tell me what springs were used as they just got the machining dimensions.

As for the comp ratio, all the specs that I have, from the service book and original brochure tell me that the 220kw motor was 9.4:1.

I know that there are some really knowledgeable people on these forums that can either verify, expand or correct the info that I have been given. So feel free to pick the crap out of it.

Thanks,

Craig.
Old 23-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
BlacklistedXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakrz
Well I spoke to Yella terra today, they weren't sure of how many cc's the chambers are, but they took .020" of the heads. They said that they are safe to take off another .020" but cam choice and piston to valve clearance can become an issue.
As well as the machining done in the combustion chambers and ports, they also told me that they machined the spring bases too, but that was more to suit the springs that were bieng used as they interfered with the guide boss or the step on the spring base, or something similar to that. They couldn't tell me what springs were used as they just got the machining dimensions.

As for the comp ratio, all the specs that I have, from the service book and original brochure tell me that the 220kw motor was 9.4:1.

I know that there are some really knowledgeable people on these forums that can either verify, expand or correct the info that I have been given. So feel free to pick the crap out of it.

Thanks,

Craig.
9.4:1 is the correct compression for the AU 220 XR8s:
http://www.fpv.com.au/theheritage/fa...onxr8-220.aspx

AU3 Fairmont I6
Whiteline swaybars, FPV Typhoon Rims, Superlows, Custom Intake Piping, Modified BA XR8 Airbox, Big Stereo

Past:
2001 AU2 XR8 220 Manual
1/4 Mile: 13.8 @ 100MPH (161km/h)

Ford Falcon AU2 V8 Auto
1/4 Mile: 13.0 @ 107MPH (172km/h)
BlacklistedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Ha, wonder where I got 10's from.

As for springs what ever they were they weren't real good, spring breakages are common on them and even on T3's.

Mine had a bit taken off them (unsure on exactly how much) and I was running flat top pistons that weren't notched along with a Crow 621354 cam and I had no issues with PTV clearance.

What exactly are you planning on may I ask?
Old 23-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

whats actually required to put gt40 heads on and e-series motor.

obviously inlet manifold. but what about lifters, cam etc? is sticking the e-series MAF sensor in the au housing going to work ok?

im looking at an ef 5l, and i have a mate selling gt40 heads, extractors, and inlet manifold. i want to put a cam in there at the same time though.
also, different plugs?

sorry to high jack this thread, lol

2003 BA Xr6 Turbo (Atomic Long, DTM auto, Nizpro stage2 kit, eaton truetrac, E85, HeadsexTuned)
Mr_4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #9
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
What exactly are you planning on may I ask?
My XR8 is going on the rollers @Bluepower on Aug 3rd to tidy up the tune a bit and make a few changes, and since this was a few weeks away, I was planning on doing a cam change- Crow 621371, plus springs, retainers, and reco the GT40's, bit of bowl work, tidy up the short turn, raise the comp a bit more. I'm not after a street fighter or anything, just thought I'd get it going a bit better, the way it should have been from the factory. And since I'm a former engine reconditioner in a previous life, the work would be pretty straight forward for me to do.
I have since spoken to Chris at Bluepower, he thinks that I'm better off saving my $$ for now and build a stroker properly from the start. I'm certainly inclined to listen to his advice. And since I can build it myself, It won't cost the earth. Anyone got any opinions on this.......?
But Russell, getting back to your original question, I just thought that I would post up the information I had found for the benefit of the readers.

-Craig.
Old 23-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #10
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
My XR8 is going on the rollers @Bluepower on Aug 3rd to tidy up the tune a bit and make a few changes, and since this was a few weeks away, I was planning on doing a cam change- Crow 621371, plus springs, retainers, and reco the GT40's, bit of bowl work, tidy up the short turn, raise the comp a bit more. I'm not after a street fighter or anything, just thought I'd get it going a bit better, the way it should have been from the factory. And since I'm a former engine reconditioner in a previous life, the work would be pretty straight forward for me to do.
I have since spoken to Chris at Bluepower, he thinks that I'm better off saving my $$ for now and build a stroker properly from the start. I'm certainly inclined to listen to his advice. And since I can build it myself, It won't cost the earth. Anyone got any opinions on this.......?
But Russell, getting back to your original question, I just thought that I would post up the information I had found for the benefit of the readers.

-Craig.
If I were you I'd listen to Chris, mine is on it's way to him on Saturday for a fix and freshen up. If you can build it yourself maybe it's an idea to pull one from a Fairmont if you want to use a stock block or if you have the $$$ buy an aftermarket block and build it up as you have the time and money. That way once it's done it can be a quick change over and you still get to enjoy your car while it's being built.
Old 24-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #11
EvilChief
Boost Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Ha, wonder where I got 10's from.
Holden LS series probably, all of those engines are in the 10s
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #12
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:

-Craig.
This should wet your appetite http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1265549&page=2

particularly post #36
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post