Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-11-2022, 03:52 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Setting a Hollow Pin

I’ve got four of these to do, they’re window regulator guide blocks:
The back of the pin is heavily counterbored as shown, the receiving hole is not chamfered at the exit side.

I need to make/adapt a tool to set these pins very solidly. Thinking of using a vice with appropriate tooling, to progressively deform the piece.

Would I be better placed to form a bevel on my “setter” or a domed end? Dry or greased?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2022, 04:47 PM   #2
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Setting a Hollow Pin

Sort of like an eyelet making tool ??

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-11-2022, 04:53 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Hadn’t thought about craft gear. It’s probably a few levels above usual upholstery or couture strength requirements though.
Old 24-11-2022, 05:08 PM   #4
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Hadn’t thought about craft gear. It’s probably a few levels above usual upholstery or couture strength requirements though.
I bought one for canvas and is very robust. My old man had several commercial style ones being an upholsterer.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2022, 06:23 PM   #5
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Something here perhaps https://www.birdsall-leather.com.au/...pl.php?pager=1 or something (likely a stud or grommet anvil) from a marine sailmaker or tarp supplier perhaps.
Old 24-11-2022, 06:35 PM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

If you have an arbor press or hydraulic press some of the dies & dimple accessories for them should work too. These sort of things https://www.gizmoplans.com/best-shop-press-accessories/

Last edited by aussiblue; 24-11-2022 at 06:40 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2022, 07:11 PM   #7
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

.... or https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/27524996...Bk9SR6aJxoeVYQ or https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/29483649...Bk9SR6aJxoeVYQ etc
Old 24-11-2022, 07:30 PM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

It’s getting way overthought here. Once these four are done, I plan to set fire to the car hope to never encounter another such piece.

Wiz has indirectly furnished a detail, the setter should be closer to domed than chamfered. I’m thinking my big vice, a suitable socket on the “blocking” side and my improvised setter to the counterbored side. A sacrificed 8mm high tensile bolt should do it - the pin shank is only about 6mm across.
Old 24-11-2022, 09:48 PM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
It’s getting way overthought here.
Ok then just invert the pin on your bench and place the round end of a ball-pein hammer on the end of the pin and give the flat side of the ball pein head a sharp rap with a bigger hammer.
Old 06-12-2022, 12:05 AM   #10
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Methodology, shown in a photo. I used my setter and a large vice to perform the task.
The plastic guide with metal pin, on the pin head side the guide’s cap snugly holds a quarter inch socket (shown with a spare guide). That provides strong, even backing support. On the counterbored side, the bullet tip ground onto my random bolt works with a little moly grease to spread the pin base as I clamp it all in a vice. I backed off the vice slightly and rotated the “setting tool” a one-third turn twice over.

A much more calm-inducing approach than wallering away with a ball-pein hammer and the pin head precariously supported on a benchtop.
2 users like this post: