Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
Ford_Martyr
Starter Motor

Default Anti-theft devices worth-while?

Hey guys, I recently bought a BA mk2 XR8 and I'm wondering if it'd be worth-while getting a steering wheel lock or even the Disklok as I don't have a garage and it sits in the front yard in full view of neighbourhood hoodlums. Or does anyone think its anti-theft features from factory are good enough to make such devices unnecessary?

Ford_Martyr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 12:17 AM   #2
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Anti-theft devices worth-while?

Fit a flashing LED... would deter most...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 12:32 AM   #3
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I had a 3 point immobiliser fitted to my car when I bought it.

If anyone really wanted it, they'd find a way to get it, but it would make things difficult for an amateur.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 12:52 AM   #4
Ford_Martyr
Starter Motor

A flashing LED... um brilliant.
Old 28-08-2011, 12:57 AM   #5
Ford_Martyr
Starter Motor

Thanks, Feathers. I guess you're right that there's no 100% guarantee that no-one will steal it regardless, but if I can make it impossible for the amateurs that's a start.
Old 28-08-2011, 01:05 AM   #6
FalconForce

solder in a 50c kill switch and hide it in a clever place and no one will be able to steal it

What's scarier than the thunder? The Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Doesn't matter anyway whatever they do its wrong according to people on here.
FalconForce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 01:16 AM   #7
Ford_Martyr
Starter Motor

A kill switch is a good idea, actually. I wouldn't try putting it in myself, though.
Old 28-08-2011, 03:56 AM   #8
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine has an EZI Trak , only way to go .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 05:49 AM   #9
kpcart
Banned

i didnt think BAs could be stolen. heck i didnt think even a 1992 eb falcon eb could be stolen since ford had the smartkey technology put in. i think the thing more worth worrying about is damage by hoodlums, ie broken windows and keying.
kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 06:23 AM   #10
Ford_Martyr
Starter Motor

Do you mean EZ e-Trak? What I just found through Google, it looks like a GPS tracking device, which would be good if it got stolen, but I'd rather first put my money into preventing it in the first place.
Old 28-08-2011, 06:49 AM   #11
Ford_Martyr
Starter Motor

@kpcart I do have faith in Ford's own anti-theft systems, but I just looked at NRMA's report http://www.aaa.asn.au/roadtests/reports/340.pdf and it only got a 67.5 out of 120 points, which surprised me. I've had my beautiful '95 EF Futura sitting out there for a decade now and it's never been touched let alone vandalized. What I worry about is someone seeing this nice XR8 and thinking "this one would fun taking for a joy ride..." which it certainly is by me, but not a drunken hoon that leaves it FUBAR!

Old 28-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice lawn LOL
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #13
Ford_Martyr
Starter Motor

@Pedro Meh lawns are over-rated. Hehe
Old 28-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #14
RAPID_BA
Banned

For ba xr8s they should be parked in a garage, behind a fence, guard dog, another car parked behind it, keys in a safe. Thats how I leave mine of an evening.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Its all good fitting some anti-theft device, but if someone wants it bad enough they'll rock up with a trolley jack and a car trailer.

I wouldn't bother, my cars sit outside in full view of everyone and the worst thing thats happened is one of my mates went on a drunk walk around town, stole a big map and put it on my windscreen.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #16
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Its all good fitting some anti-theft device, but if someone wants it bad enough they'll rock up with a trolley jack and a car trailer.
True, too true. There was a recent thread in the B-series forum about how safe is a BA/BF Falcon. One person came on and stated that the smartshield system can be fooled, and a BA/BF Falcon can be stolen without the keys, but you had to know what you're doing...
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #17
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As they say, if they really want it, they'll turn up with a tilt-tray and drag it up the ramp even against a wheel clamp and drive away with it.

The best you can do is "slow down" the crooks. A very visible flashing LED will deter simple joyriders, as will a steering wheel lock or a basic alarm.
If you do have an alarm, you should also have stickers loudly announcing you have an "alarm fitted"...don't advertise what brand or what type...keep a more dedicated thief guessing.

Then comes ingenuity...a mate has an alarm siren from an industrial supply house. It's the size of a can of Coke, and puts out an amazing 140+ decibels. This is mounted up behind the dash, inside the car. That level of volume is beyond pain, and into the region of "severe, almost instant, and permanent hearing loss". No one will be able to sit inside a car patiently trying to hotwire it or steal the stereo with that going off.
Worried about it "accidentally" triggering with you in there? If you have an alarm, how often has that happened to you? I've had one in my Celica for four years now, and it's never gone off accidentally while I've been causally driving along. My mate has his hooked up to a top of the line alarm system with good remote arming, and he doesn't worry about it.

However, simply just locking the door and not leaving visible valuables inside it is probably going to deter 90% of thieves anyway...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #18
Ford_Martyr
Starter Motor

Hmm a bit to think about. Thanks guys. Locking it up behind a gate isn't practical atm. For some reason I thought it already came with an alarm. I might check out how much a good one is and if I can afford it I'll go for it. 140+ db would definitely be a good, long-lasting punishment! Either way, I've decided to get a Disklok ($176) after all, which is apparently impossible to remove without destroying the steering wheel and column. A more trouble than it's worth approach seems the best.
Old 28-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #19
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: Anti-theft devices worth-while?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Martyr
Hey guys, I recently bought a BA mk2 XR8 and I'm wondering if it'd be worth-while getting a steering wheel lock or even the Disklok as I don't have a garage and it sits in the front yard in full view of neighbourhood hoodlums. Or does anyone think its anti-theft features from factory are good enough to make such devices unnecessary?
Disk locks are good , anything helps as they can be had when you know how or own a flat top , tracking is better
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 10:39 PM   #20
El Caballo
Token American

Just chambering the round makes their blood run cold, kinda messy if they don't get the hint though. j/k

El Caballo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #21
Ford_Martyr
Starter Motor

@El Caballo Bahahaha Oh how I wish... sit on the front veranda with Black Betty (your pic) and just watch.
Old 29-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #22
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart
i didnt think BAs could be stolen. heck i didnt think even a 1992 eb falcon eb could be stolen since ford had the smartkey technology put in. i think the thing more worth worrying about is damage by hoodlums, ie broken windows and keying.
A BA was stolen from my work last week.

Not sure what security systems it did or didn't have.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #23
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

If you have a run of the mill model, even a $20 steering lock will deter a thief. Lets face it, if you were after a BA and found 2 cars, one with a wheel lock, fake alarm LED and alarm stickers on the window and on with no visual deterrents which car would you try to flog?

The car with the wheel lock may take an extra 30 seconds to steal for a pro, but that is 30 seconds more than the car with nothing.

My advice. If you want to increase your chances of it not getting flogged, spend $250 on an alarm with battery back-up and $50 on a decent branded wheel lock.

A well hidden kill switch will not cost all that much either.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 10:07 AM   #24
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exactly. You're not buying total immunity with any of these measures - just giving the potential thief another reason to "shop" elsewhere. It works the same with your house: if you have a dog, the "amateur" thieves, not targeting your house in particular, will move onto the next one.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #25
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just get some decent insurance.. anything happens so be it...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post