Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Commodore DOES use More Fuel Than Falcon

THE Holden Commodore has been outed as the most petrol-hungry of Australia's big-selling cars, as motorists mull over how to combat high fuel prices.

The Federal Government has released a list of which cars use the most petrol to inform consumers - and it's bad news for Commodore and Falcon owners.

Of the most popular cars, the Commodore was top of the list, costing $2430 in petrol a year and releasing 3.8 tonnes of carbon dioxide.

Next in line came the Ford Falcon, costing $2272 and releasing 3.6 tonnes of carbon dioxide.

The Mazda 3 came third, costing $1845 in petrol, while the ever-popular Toyota Corolla came next with a $1672 petrol price tag.

The cheapest fuel bill went to the Toyota Yaris, costing $1350 a year.

The Government has also rated five-star and hybrid cars.

The cheapest opf these to run is the Toyota Prius hybrid, which costs $990 in fuel each year and releases 1.6 tonnes of carbon dioxide.

The lists can be found in the government's Green Vehicle Guide at www.greenvehicleguide.gov.au
"More than ever, it's important to consider not only the car's ticket price but also its ongoing running and environmental costs," Transport Minister Anthony Albanese said.

Trading in a 6-cylinder car for a mid-size 4-cylinder model could cut petrol bills - and carbon emissions - by up to a third, Mr Albanese said.

Old 20-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
blutura
ZX-6R & Falcon pilot

Only an extra $11.53 a week to run a Falcon over a Corolla, thats pretty good I reckon. Well worth it for the extra space and power you get in the Falcon.

Unfortunately when you start to factor in the 50% depreciation over two years on a $40000 Falcon, compared with the 30% depreciation over two years on a $25500 Corolla, and you realise that you're losing $192 a week on the Falcon, compared with $72 a week on the Corolla, it starts to get a little bit more hurty.

The solution, obviously, is to let someone else take the $20000 hit and pick up a 2 year old Falcon for less then the cost of the Corolla and enjoy the savings!

You can only have two.
blutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutura
The solution, obviously, is to let someone else take the $20000 hit and pick up a 2 year old Falcon for less then the cost of the Corolla and enjoy the savings!
Now you tell me :

Mines lost 65% after 3 years. Hell it had lost 25% before I bought it at one year old with almost no kays on the clock (only 6000kms) lol.

The hybrid prices are floored though. Sure they are cheaper on petrol but they cost almost twice as much to buy as the nearest petrol consuming only competitor. So if you bought a Yaris you would have about $15,000 left over to spend on fuel as compared to buying a Prius.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
blutura
ZX-6R & Falcon pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
Now you tell me :

Mines lost 65% after 3 years. Hell it had lost 25% before I bought it at one year old with almost no kays on the clock (only 6000kms) lol.

The hybrid prices are floored though. Sure they are cheaper on petrol but they cost almost twice as much to buy as the nearest petrol consuming only competitor. So if you bought a Yaris you would have about $15,000 left over to spend on fuel as compared to buying a Prius.
You mean flawed right? And yes, they are. But Prious owners get the unquantifiable value of being able to go around telling everyone how green they are for driving a Prious. Was it TopGear who said it should be called the Toyota Pious for this very reason?

You can only have two.
blutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #5
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Bloody link doesnt work server is too busy :
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #6
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did they bother testing any factory LPG cars? Seeing LPG is 2.5x cheaper than Petrol it would easily come up trumps
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2008, 05:50 PM   #7
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Already posted in this thread, It's more relevent in there than having it's own thread since it's just more of the media's attempt to sensationalise things.
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2008, 09:30 PM   #8
pommy b
Banned

Wonder how they came up with those stats?

Did they use the entire range and take an average? The best in each model range?

Would be interesing to know.

Last edited by pommy b; 20-07-2008 at 09:30 PM. Reason: spelling
pommy b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2008, 09:43 PM   #9
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably just the usual BS of comparing rated L/100km.

Regards,
Dave
Old 20-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #10
burnz
VFII SS UTE

let's see an eco hippy car pull a boat out of the water.
tow a caravan, pull a horse float.

love to see the hippy L/100 veres a v8 L/100. doing that.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2008, 11:16 PM   #11
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What suprises me is that the Mazda 3 comes in at 3rd, my old Mum has an 04 model and wants a new one, she probably won't after reading this.

Surely a Turbo Rex or similar would be ahead of the 3.
Old 20-07-2008, 11:34 PM   #12
DayTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about cost of replacement batteries fro the Prius. I've read a couple of differnt figures for battery lives ranging from 5-10 years, so if you buy a Prius or another Hybrid that has part electrikery power, which has been stated cost more than the equivilent petrol model, then in a few years time need to change/buy new batteries, what does the saving work out to be there??

Also where do the dead batteries go? I'm sure they can't be good for the environment. I also am willing to put money on that they aren't cheap to get rid of properly.

And what sort of power is used to make these batteries? I'm guessing in a lot, if not all, cases none are being made using renewable energy.

To me, petrol/electric hybrid vehicles are a farce. Which like a lot of things are there only to make one feel better about one's self.
Old 21-07-2008, 01:42 AM   #13
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How can people justify buying a Corolla for economy over a falcon.

The difference is bugger all.

I'm also getting quite fed up of all this compromising (space, power, safety etc) they do when they could just use LPG.

Then again if that happened, LPG would without question rise in price.
Old 21-07-2008, 10:23 AM   #14
da_ilks

Had to laugh. Sure, the Prius might be cheaper to fuel, but what about running costs? Insurance? Servicing? Purchase price? Tell me a Prius is as cheap to fix as your run of the mill Commodore or Falcon. All of these count towards the total cost of ownership. Paying $900 a year on fuel means stuff all if the car costs 3 times as much to service as a regular car.

I'm pretty sure the Hyundai Getz is the cheapest car to own over a 3 year peroid, considering all of the above items.
da_ilks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2008, 10:33 AM   #15
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_ilks
Had to laugh. Sure, the Prius might be cheaper to fuel, but what about running costs? Insurance? Servicing? Purchase price? Tell me a Prius is as cheap to fix as your run of the mill Commodore or Falcon. All of these count towards the total cost of ownership. Paying $900 a year on fuel means stuff all if the car costs 3 times as much to service as a regular car.

I'm pretty sure the Hyundai Getz is the cheapest car to own over a 3 year peroid, considering all of the above items.
I think you make some excellent points.

I look after our fleet of around 25 cars, and have most of our staff in Toyota Camry's. Looked at converting them into the Prius but the purchase price far out weighed net saving on fuel.

Although the Prius resale looks quite impressive, there is not much govt discounting on the purchase, whereas the Camry's discount is sizable.
Old 21-07-2008, 10:49 AM   #16
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
You mean flawed right?
Yep thats what I mean

Thats the sort of great spelling ability 4 years of Uni gives you.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #17
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

Quote:
You mean flawed right? And yes, they are. But Prious owners get the unquantifiable value of being able to go around telling everyone how green they are for driving a Prious. Was it TopGear who said it should be called the Toyota Pious for this very reason?
My mate gave me a few top gear episodes the other day,season 11, and Jeremy spoke about the prius, which he said there was a research done on the vehicle and it was stated long term it does more damage to the environment then a land rover discovery.
Jeremy stated that it was Because one thing was getting the nickel from a mine in Canada (acid rain and sulfer), sending it to Europe to refine it, then off to China to turn it into foam then off to Japan where they put it into batteries.

So that shuts up those pious owners now doesnt it!
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
let's see an eco hippy car pull a boat out of the water.
tow a caravan, pull a horse float.

love to see the hippy L/100 veres a v8 L/100. doing that.
How did people pull boats, horse floats and caravans 10 years ago when the most powerful Ford, the XR8 was only 185kw and the Falcon/Fairmont was only 175kw, that is, LESS powerful than a current I6?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2008, 11:37 AM   #19
Tobey
BF Ute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
How did people pull boats, horse floats and caravans 10 years ago when the most powerful Ford, the XR8 was only 185kw and the Falcon/Fairmont was only 175kw, that is, LESS powerful than a current I6?
Its not all about the KW's... Dont forget they still had more torque than the current I6.

There was also a lot more use of V8/Diesel 4WD's...
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #20
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
LOL what about in the early 60s when the XK 170ci (2.8L) 6 cyl Falcon put out a whopping 75 kw @ 4400 RPM. The 144ci (2.4L) put out even less at 67 kw @ 4400 RPM.

Oh and they generated only around 200 odd nm of torque. Hardly what I would call a stump puller.

Interestingly they got roughly 23 MPG for the 144 with a 3spd manual. I bet the two speed auto was a slug
Old 21-07-2008, 11:58 AM   #21
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

my 4 cylinder patrol uses 13 ltr100 mates v8 cruiser uses 10.5 ,v8 is no longer the arguement ,more weight verse towing capacity,and fuel usage ,
Old 21-07-2008, 12:13 PM   #22
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Last Saturdays "Carsguide" section of the Daily Telegraph did a test of an F6 G6 Egas and confirmed it is much cheaper to run than a Corolla.

The test isn't on their website yet.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #23
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
Last Saturdays "Carsguide" section of the Daily Telegraph did a test of an F6 G6 Egas and confirmed it is much cheaper to run than a Corolla.

The test isn't on their website yet.
Do you mean a FG or F6?
Old 21-07-2008, 02:52 PM   #24
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey
Its not all about the KW's... Dont forget they still had more torque than the current I6.

There was also a lot more use of V8/Diesel 4WD's...
Only just, 412Nm vs 391Nm and if you compare that to an ED V8 with 388Nm max it sort of puts a hole in the towing theory.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2008, 02:53 PM   #25
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSF6
Do you mean a FG or F6?
My bad. It was an FG G6 Egas.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2008, 03:07 PM   #26
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont think towing is all about power and torque.

I read this thread thinking back ten years ago when I owned an EL XR8 and 17ft Southwind motorcruiser. For around 1800kg dry, the Falcon towed it reasonably well.

In recent years, I have towed our horses and trailer boat, 19ft Whittley around 2.1t, in cars like, Ford Explorer 4.6l , BF Typhoon and SY 6spd auto Territory. And you probably would believe it, the less powerfull Explorer towed the best.

Can't explain it, just thats fact.
Old 21-07-2008, 04:11 PM   #27
magoo66
JAFO

Quote:
True, but the rest of us get to tell them that they are environmental w@%kers, as their ultimate ‘green car’ is the source of some of the worst pollution in the world. They should look up what the mining nickel for the batteries has done to Sudbury in Canada or how many times it needs to be shipped around the world to be refined. If your average stupid Pious driver actually new how much damage was caused they would ever have bought one.
magoo66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #28
Carby

Funny how Holden and Ford get the bad headlines - what about the growing SUV 4wd drive segment, does a Landcruiser get better fuel economy than the local large cars now?
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #29
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAxtER
My mate gave me a few top gear episodes the other day,season 11, and Jeremy spoke about the prius, which he said there was a research done on the vehicle and it was stated long term it does more damage to the environment then a land rover discovery.
Jeremy stated that it was Because one thing was getting the nickel from a mine in Canada (acid rain and sulfer), sending it to Europe to refine it, then off to China to turn it into foam then off to Japan where they put it into batteries.

So that shuts up those pious owners now doesnt it!
Thats the most true thing of all, the amount of emissions required to make one battery, is the same as running a falcon for 3 years or some rubbish like that.... as you say, throws big holes into the "Good for the environment" theory... as others have mentioned, its time for LPG or Hydrogen powered vehicles to be created into mainstream production..... Diesel is a good stop gap... but longer term there has to be some further research into making Hydrogen safe, and easy to use
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2008, 07:25 PM   #30
Shounak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSF6
I dont think towing is all about power and torque.

I read this thread thinking back ten years ago when I owned an EL XR8 and 17ft Southwind motorcruiser. For around 1800kg dry, the Falcon towed it reasonably well.

In recent years, I have towed our horses and trailer boat, 19ft Whittley around 2.1t, in cars like, Ford Explorer 4.6l , BF Typhoon and SY 6spd auto Territory. And you probably would believe it, the less powerfull Explorer towed the best.

Can't explain it, just thats fact.
Agreed. I had a shootout with my friend in an EL vs my VX Commodore. The VX absolutely munched the EL, but I later used both to two the same boat.

The EL did it much better than my car. Must be the difference between the I6 and the V6.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post