Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-01-2006, 09:46 PM   #1
big_pete
Sublime

Default Mundine vs Green

the biggest fight in australian history is ON!!

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0...-23210,00.html
Quote:
DANNY Green and Anthony Mundine will head in very different directions to prepare for their potentially record-breaking boxing bout at a venue one knows intimately and the other hardly at all.

The two world-ranked Australian super middleweights will finally exchange blows rather than words at Aussie Stadium, Sydney, on April 19, when two crowd records could well be broken.

The venue's record attendance for a sporting event, 43,967 for the 1993 football World Cup qualifier between Australia and Argentina, could be outstripped with the capacity for the fight to be swelled to 48,000 by the addition of 6000 seats on the ground.

Also under threat will be the record attendance for a boxing bout in Australia, the 37,000 at the Jeff Fenech-Azumah Nelson rematch at Prince's Park in Melbourne in 1992.

Green and Mundine have still to meet in public after they conducted separate press conferences today.

Their first meeting will seemingly be at a pre-fight press conference or at the weigh-in for the hotly anticipated bout.

While Green will shortly head to the US for some sparring, Mundine will spend several weeks in camp in his father's birthplace of Baryulgil near Grafton in northern New South Wales.

Mundine plans to bring out to Australia US trainer Roy Jones Snr, the father and initial trainer of multi-world title winner Roy Jones Jr, to help him prepare for the fight.

Centrebet today took two $5000 bets on Mundine, listing him at $1.70 and Green at $2.10.
"I love being the underdog, I'm stoked," Green said.

The West Australian wasn't concerned Mundine that had played several rugby league matches at the venue, while he was visiting Aussie Stadium for the very first time today.

"We are not playing rugby league," he said.

"It's good to get a visualisation of the arena I'm going to be fighting in."

Mundine rattled off several trademark quips, joking that his actions against Green would be "obscene" and claiming he would perform the role of a surgeon by cutting up his arch rival.

"I'm the teacher, he's the student," Mundine said.

Green countered by saying he had done his apprenticeship and wasn't fussed about being labelled a student.

"I'll make sure that I've done my homework and I'm very well prepared and educated on his style going inside the boxing ring," Green said.

"Teachers have to retire and the student has got to come through and take over."

Green said he viewed the fight as a stepping stone to a world title, describing it as "a defining moment in Australian boxing history".

The bout is likely to decide a regional title, with the victor expected to be bumped up the queue to challenge World Boxing Association champion Mikkel Kessler from Denmark, who outpointed Mundine in Sydney last year.

Tickets for the promotion, which will start at 5:30pm (AEDT) time and include around 10 fights, go on sale on February 22.

so what do you think??

i see a pretty even match up, each with there own strengths and weaknesses, but id love to see Mundine win, just because of all his haters.

bring it on, i say!

PS. keep the mundine bashing to a minimum

Old 31-01-2006, 09:52 PM   #2
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have watched Danny Green fight for a while and my money is with him.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 09:54 PM   #3
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I think Green should win

He outranks Mundine and has competed against better quality opponents in the past. Should be close though.

And you really dont want Munidne to win because you would never hear the end of it.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 09:57 PM   #4
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Mundine, The Man is an astute businessman and win, lose or draw he will take home more money than GReen

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 10:09 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Don't care who wins as long as the following outcomes are achieved:

1) Mundine feels pain. and lots of it.
2) Mundine feels pain. and lots of it.
3) Mundine feels pain. and lots of it.
4) Mundine feels pain. and lots of it.
5) Mundine feels pain. and lots of it.

The man is the biggest loudmouth yobbo in the history of Australian sport.
Old 31-01-2006, 10:12 PM   #6
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf

Spot on.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 10:13 PM   #7
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:

amen to that
go green, hes a better fighter imo

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 10:29 PM   #8
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

For those that don't know, Green owns a big black BA GT-P, both a Ford man and sponsored by Ford.

Timmeh
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 10:53 PM   #9
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Go Green! Should be a good fight.
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 10:59 PM   #10
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hopefully green, mundine has a big mouth
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 11:02 PM   #11
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

All Im going to say is I hope green knocks him the f out.
Might have to get foxtel and get the pay per view for it as the greenwood will be too packed I reckn. :
Gabbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 11:04 PM   #12
Skinna
Tall Kid...

Ok, i agree with b2tf, mundine should get a whoopin, but it might still be close, and no matter how much i dislike mundine, he is still a good fighter and wouldnt wanna bo a round with him
Skinna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 11:09 PM   #13
rodderz

Green seems to be the more calculated and skillfull boxer, and is also very strong. Mundine on the other hand is extremely fit and fast, and good on his feet. One thing i dont get is the verbal BS that comes out of his mouth, although I've heard away from the public he's not too bad a bloke (most of the time)

I'm with Doc, my money's on Danny Green on a fight that will probably go a fair few rounds
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 11:27 PM   #14
Envious
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope green knocks him clean out in the first round...

i loved mundines comment about how green is the poster boy for "corporate white australia"...then green comes back and says, i dont know where hes getting that from, im a carpenter by trade....

2 things i hate about mundine,
1. he thinks he is Mohammed Ali, and he clearly isnt even in the ballpark of the legend..
2. he plays the racial card too damn much, nobody gives a toss that he is aboriginal/muslim and yet he keeps saying that people do....
Old 31-01-2006, 11:28 PM   #15
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope Danny knocks the ИИИИ out of Mundine. Put him in his place.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 11:39 PM   #16
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:

I'll also back that up!
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 12:28 AM   #17
TTNOS8
All Go, No Show

I cannot wait to get up to sydney to watch this fight. We've already discussed booking a minibus of say 22 seater to get us up there.

I think it will be a much closer bout than most will hope for.

Danny Green is a very good boxer. Trained well by smart people, and has a smart boxing brain in between his ears.

Anthony Mundine on the other hand I don't think is a good boxer. Obviously an extremely good sportsman, very fast, very fit. I think his best boxing ability is his speed. Not just with his hands, but with his feet. He is able to get out of the way of nearly everything.

Very close fight. I think if green plays his cards right and waits it out, he'll land mundine in trouble, if he can connect. Mundine is bloody quick.

In saying this, don't think that these two (and their management, both current and prior) have not turned this into possibly the biggest fight australia has seen.

Promotion is what these two have been playing at for nearly 3 years. Good on them. Building up the fight. Waiting it out. Smart business men ;)

I can appreciate that mundine is a great sportsman, but when is he going to get over himself. I hate that he downgrades a society that has done nothing to him. But support him. He is trying TOO hard to copy the greatest ever, Muhammed Ali, but he is doing it in ways that don't add up. He is aboriginal, yet now professes to also be muslim which he has only recently diverted too. Thats fine, each to their own. but its working though. The more he puts down the average aussie, the more aussies will pay to be there in seats.

Cassius Clay had a change in spiritual beliefs. I think Mundine may be riding this wave to bring his status up. Thumbs down if he is.

Anthony, please concetrate more on praising yourself, or putting down your opponents, not critisizing the country and its people that we live in and love.

In that, I hope Green wins in what will be a close fight.

:
Looking for another XE.....
TTNOS8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 12:29 AM   #18
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious

2 things i hate about mundine,
1. he thinks he is Mohammed Ali, and he clearly isnt even in the ballpark of the legend..
2. he plays the racial card too damn much, nobody gives a toss that he is aboriginal/muslim and yet he keeps saying that people do....
1. He uses it as a marketing tool, it made Ali millions of dollars.. Mundine makes more money than Kosta, the highest paid boxer in Australia ever.. If I was making those sort of bucks for fighting hacks, has beens and never will be's I wouldn't go out of my comfort zone, just keep talking it up and taking it to the bank.

2. THe young aboriginal kids that end up on the bottom rungs of our society do. He is such a role model to the aboriginal youth, and imho the aboriginal community needs successfull people like him to drive the point home.

Old 01-02-2006, 12:35 AM   #19
TTNOS8
All Go, No Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
1. He uses it as a marketing tool, it made Ali millions of dollars.. Mundine makes more money than Kosta, the highest paid boxer in Australia ever.. If I was making those sort of bucks for fighting hacks, has beens and never will be's I wouldn't go out of my comfort zone, just keep talking it up and taking it to the bank.

2. THe young aboriginal kids that end up on the bottom rungs of our society do. He is such a role model to the aboriginal youth, and imho the aboriginal community needs successfull people like him to drive the point home.
While I appreciate your point of view on number 2, I disagree.

Sure a figure of his stature is something to aspire to, but I could not call him a role model. He is a loud mouth, over confident, that should do some homework on where he comes from and support the struggling some more.

He outspeaks his opinions on everything wether he's politically correct or not. He blatenly runs down our country, governments, leaders, and history.

I could name a stack of more suitable role models from the aborigianal/torres strait from AFL and Rugby, to a number of other sports. Most that have a respect for our way of life, and the rules and morals our society abide by.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:35 AM   #20
HTCURRY

Whatever happens...i hope they bring the referee and judges from overseas. Otherwise no matter who wins, we will have to put up with either cries of political correctness, if mundine wins, or racism, is he loses. Either way they are both mediocre boxers, and have proven themselves to be so in the world stage.

Quote:
Most that have a respect for our way of life, and the rules and morals our society abide by.
which are?
HTCURRY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 12:40 AM   #21
TTNOS8
All Go, No Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCURRY
Whatever happens...i hope they bring the referee and judges from overseas. Otherwise no matter who wins, we will have to put up with either cries of political correctness, if mundine wins, or racism, is he loses. Either way they are both mediocre boxers, and have proven themselves to be so in the world stage.

which are?
Actually good point re: the refs. Although they won't be able to be american, german, or....

But yes, an outsider ref will hopefully keep things nicer afterwards.

Rules & morals... Well, do you have any? What are they?
Old 01-02-2006, 12:46 AM   #22
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNOS8
While I appreciate your point of view on number 2, I disagree.

Sure a figure of his stature is something to aspire to, but I could not call him a role model. He is a loud mouth, over confident, that should do some homework on where he comes from and support the struggling some more.

He outspeaks his opinions on everything wether he's politically correct or not. He blatenly runs down our country, governments, leaders, and history.

I could name a stack of more suitable role models from the aborigianal/torres strait from AFL and Rugby, to a number of other sports. Most that have a respect for our way of life, and the rules and morals our society abide by.
Indeed your point is true, but alot of his loud mouthing is the money he takes to the bank. No doubt there are more deserving and respectable role models. For gods sake he was called 'Choc' for along time but born in Newtown and training in Redfern, a real 'peoples' hero. If I'm not mistaken isn't Redfern one of the problem areas for the aboriginal community. (im not a Sydney sider but Redfern has a high percentage of Aboriginals that are down and out iirc).

Old 01-02-2006, 12:49 AM   #23
HTCURRY

sorry about the OT mods,

I most certainly do have scruples and morals, which may be the same as the majority or australians or not, but i dont think Mundine is against "Australian society".

What i think he is, is a very very misguided individual. All Great men have had the mentality that its them against the system, the people, the world. Its what made them work that extra bit harder, or have that little bit more conviction, the problem with this theory in regards to Mundine is hes not GREAT at anything.

I agree that he COULD have been a great role model more indigenous australians, and australians as a whole. An athlete skilled in two sports, being able to reach international standards in both, a decent family man, and someone whos not in the papers for criminal activities. But he instead chose to look at it differently, and no doubt this has caused a lot of the hatred the general public feel towards him.

example of an indigenous athelete the australian ppl took to heart : Cathy Freeman.
HTCURRY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 12:55 AM   #24
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

The "MAN'S" a dill..... He stated.. "Melbourne isn't big enough" to host the fight!!!
Get real !!.... We'd get 100,000 to a game of Darts here!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 01:07 AM   #25
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

if Green can land a few descent ones and counteract Mundines speed - thus slow him down - Green will destroy him. Plus hes a WA lad so kik his *** Danny!
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 01:23 AM   #26
honer
Back to N/A land

I hope Green puts Mundine into a coma !
honer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 07:35 AM   #27
I bleed ford
351 cubes of power

i have been waiting for this fight for years. mundine has been dodging green for ages. I'd like to see green torture him for 5 or 6 rounds then ko him.

i hate mundine and i hope is flogged so bad he gives up boxing due to injury.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:59 AM   #28
TTNOS8
All Go, No Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCURRY
sorry about the OT mods,

I most certainly do have scruples and morals, which may be the same as the majority or australians or not, but i dont think Mundine is against "Australian society".

What i think he is, is a very very misguided individual. All Great men have had the mentality that its them against the system, the people, the world. Its what made them work that extra bit harder, or have that little bit more conviction, the problem with this theory in regards to Mundine is hes not GREAT at anything.

I agree that he COULD have been a great role model more indigenous australians, and australians as a whole. An athlete skilled in two sports, being able to reach international standards in both, a decent family man, and someone whos not in the papers for criminal activities. But he instead chose to look at it differently, and no doubt this has caused a lot of the hatred the general public feel towards him.

example of an indigenous athelete the australian ppl took to heart : Cathy Freeman.
Yes, yes.

I do agree with you on this.

And I am sure that a lot of his shooting his mouth of is for his wallet, but I still don't agree with it.

Bloody good points there HTCURRY and Racecraft.

Hope its a good fight with some solid blows that goes for a few rounds, as we're going to be travelling over 20 hours round trip by road to see it.

Any tips as to how much ticket prices will be?

Go Green!! :
Old 01-02-2006, 10:34 AM   #29
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally - I actually want Green to win.

But as much as I dislike Mundine - cant deny his skills and I think he might get Danny on the night.

Cant wait though - will be a great spectacle.

I went to a Kostya title fight and the atmosphere was unbelievable, I reckon this one would be even better again.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 10:41 AM   #30
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:

AGREED, unfortunatley i am remotely related to him, he is such a tool