Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
QIK006

Default Are you able to sell NSW Rego plates

I am contemplating putting my plates up for sale, but am unsure if I was able to sell them here in NSW the same way that the guys in QLD or Vic are able to, can anyone shed some light on this for me?

NSW Rego "QIK 006"

QIK006 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Thats a no, i have TE.056 and cant sell
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You have to have what they call personalised plus plates to be able to sell. Mine are MYG6ET which I am able to sell.

from the RTA website:

3.4. Sale of Special Number Plates

a. Other than as set out in paragraph 3.4 (b) below, you cannot sell or otherwise transfer the right to display Standard Content Plates or Personalised Content Plates.
b. You may apply to exchange the right to display Standard Content Plates or Personalised Content Plates with another vehicle registered in your name or a member of your immediate family. If the Special Number Plates are registered to a company, the company may exchange the right to display with its employee or its related body corporate. To exchange the right to display Standard Content Plates or Personalised Content Plates, you and the person or company you intend to exchange plates with must complete and submit to the RTA the applicable form and pay the applicable exchange fee.
c. You can sell or otherwise transfer the right to display Personalised Plus Plates and Numeral-only Plates. To sell your Personalised Plus Plates or Numeral-only Plates:
i. You and the new holder of your plates must complete and submit to the RTA the applicable form.
ii. The new holder must pay the applicable fee.
d. Upon the sale or transfer of your Personalised Plus Plates or Numeral-only Plates, you will be regarded as having surrendered your number-plate. The RTA may issue you with another set of number-plates with different content from that of the transferred number-plate subject to the payment of the applicable fee for that issue.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Off topic as mentioned i have the plates in my first post, moved to QLD. Was i supposed to give them back?
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 23-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #5
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Off topic as mentioned i have the plates in my first post, moved to QLD. Was i supposed to give them back?
They should have been when you registered in QLD. If you want to keep them then I won't tell. Shhhhh. :evil3:
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
QIK006

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8
You have to have what they call personalised plus plates to be able to sell. Mine are MYG6ET which I am able to sell.

from the RTA website:

3.4. Sale of Special Number Plates

a. Other than as set out in paragraph 3.4 (b) below, you cannot sell or otherwise transfer the right to display Standard Content Plates or Personalised Content Plates.
b. You may apply to exchange the right to display Standard Content Plates or Personalised Content Plates with another vehicle registered in your name or a member of your immediate family. If the Special Number Plates are registered to a company, the company may exchange the right to display with its employee or its related body corporate. To exchange the right to display Standard Content Plates or Personalised Content Plates, you and the person or company you intend to exchange plates with must complete and submit to the RTA the applicable form and pay the applicable exchange fee.
c. You can sell or otherwise transfer the right to display Personalised Plus Plates and Numeral-only Plates. To sell your Personalised Plus Plates or Numeral-only Plates:
i. You and the new holder of your plates must complete and submit to the RTA the applicable form.
ii. The new holder must pay the applicable fee.
d. Upon the sale or transfer of your Personalised Plus Plates or Numeral-only Plates, you will be regarded as having surrendered your number-plate. The RTA may issue you with another set of number-plates with different content from that of the transferred number-plate subject to the payment of the applicable fee for that issue.

so reading between the lines, I might be able to sell the plates if the RTA approve it....

Seeing as I have to pay a premium every year to keep the plates, does that mean that they are personalised?
Old 23-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
a-total-tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIK006
so reading between the lines, I might be able to sell the plates if the RTA approve it....

Seeing as I have to pay a premium every year to keep the plates, does that mean that they are personalised?
nope. I think that only the full custom ones (where the fees are >$350 each year) can be bought/sold. The other personalised ones can only be traded among family members - BUT you need to be able to prove that the relationship exists. I had a set of personalised plates before I had a car. I had them registered on a car in my dad's name. When I got my first car, my dad and I both had to go into the RTA. The fact that we had the same surname and address was not enough to prove any relationship. I had to go home and get my birth certificate before they would believe that we were related.

The loophole, if you really think that they should be sold would be to buy a $200 piece of crap, with a couple weeks rego on it. Transfer the car into your name and attach the plates. "Sell" the car with the plates attached. the new person will need to pay the stamp duty/transfer fees again BUT once they do this, the personalised plates are now theirs (and they can cash in the rego or flog off the car etc).
a-total-tool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #8
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald_princess
The loophole, if you really think that they should be sold would be to buy a $200 piece of crap, with a couple weeks rego on it. Transfer the car into your name and attach the plates. "Sell" the car with the plates attached. the new person will need to pay the stamp duty/transfer fees again BUT once they do this, the personalised plates are now theirs (and they can cash in the rego or flog off the car etc).
Just "sell" your car to the owner of the plates, get him to transfer the plates to the car then "buy" it back for the same price. The only cost will be the stamp duty. can be done in about an hour at the rta. No need to buy another car..
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 11:34 PM   #9
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Off topic, but why are selling your plates biscuits?
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 12:35 AM   #10
QIK006

Hey Ned, Long time no see,

I have had a few offers over the last few months, all around $1000, and in the past of $1500, and seeing as the better half has been driving it more often than not.... the QIK doesn't really suit it any more :togo: so if I had a serious offer (higher than the figure above)I would probably sell them and I was thinking I might even advertise them for a higher price hoping that someone with more dollars than sense would buy them!!!

but ideally I would prefer them to be installed onto a brand new F6 after trading the XR6T in... but to do that, I would need to also buy her an XR5T at the same time, and I cant afford either :
Old 24-01-2010, 11:34 AM   #11
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8
They should have been when you registered in QLD. If you want to keep them then I won't tell. Shhhhh. :evil3:
QLD transport never asked for them : but yeah ill keep em
- Antz Turboside Intake