Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 22-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
LTDHO
The one and only

Default Another death on Victorian roads

Link here

This time the driver was supervised!

No alcohol or excessive speed.

Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 22-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Link here

This time the driver was supervised!

No alcohol or excessive speed.
Tragic.

I read as truck swerved in front of her?

Maybe he was texting.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
Old 22-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

I am in Kilmore and was here this morning - I have posted in the other thread.

http://fordforums.com.au/showpost.ph...&postcount=118

Just a very bad, sad week and particularly in our area.

GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
Old 22-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another unfortunate statistic, this time, it seems the cause is impatience.
Old 22-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumXR
Tragic.

Maybe he was texting.
Locals are saying he wasn't at fault (but could explain his distress and hysteria though) but regardless it is irrelevant as it won't change anything. Two dead and probably someone else's life about to be ruined, plus the family that is also in tow.

I said when the young people all died last weekend, that the 'incident' is the lesson and it is a high price to pay. People just don't get it - moving metal is lethal to flesh and the human body, while miraculous, is always going to come off second best. Drive with respect and appreciation of the potential dangers at all times. Be cautious and better to be safe than end up like this. We are all in too much of a hurry and so careless with our lives and the lives of others.

GT

Quote:

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
Old 22-01-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
kezzer

Will they ban 4wd for learners now?

EDIT: sarcasm lol

Last edited by kezzer; 22-01-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 22-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #7
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
Why would they, the 4WD was driving straight, it was the truck that was in a different lane, apparently.

We will have to wait and see as the details will be sketchy at this point.
Old 22-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumXR
Tragic.

Maybe he was texting.
According to that report he 'may' have been trying to overtake another vehicle....no mention of a phone.

It's interesting reading the comments on that page.... 2 of which have no relevance to this particular situation (or at least haven't been mentioned in the article) So I think its best not to assume anything at this stage appart from it being a terrible incident.

Condolensces to the family and friends.
Old 22-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #9
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
What has that got to do with it?

:

GT

Quote:

Old 22-01-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT

:

GT

May have been sarcasm, not really sure.
Old 22-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #11
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT

:

GT
I'm not saying they should, more sarcasm that incidents like this can and will happen no matter what the government does.
Old 22-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
According to that report he 'may' have been trying to overtake another vehicle....no mention of a phone.

It's interesting reading the comments on that page.... 2 of which have no relevance to this particular situation (or at least haven't been mentioned in the article) So I think its best not to assume anything at this stage appart from it being a terrible incident.

Condolensces to the family and friends.
Fair enough, my cynicism often get's the better of me.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
Old 22-01-2010, 02:08 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm taking that as sarcasm and a play on P plater laws but lets not get into that. Shame, lots of us youngin's are kicking the bucket this week behind the wheel of cars, not to mention the media will be paying special attention to any accidents/deaths with us behind the wheel.
Old 22-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #14
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

It has been a rough week on the roads. I have not heard the news as I have been on weird shifts but a motorist pulled out in front of a bus and was t boned in Bris 2 days ago. He received massive head injuries and I think it is unlikely he will survive after hearing of the extent of his injuries from my colleagues that attended.
Old 22-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #15
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Police believe a truck carrying concrete pipes steered across an unbroken line and into the path of the oncoming 4WD being driven by the 17-year-old girl.

It appears it was caught behind a slow moving truck and attempted to overtake, striking the 4WD head on.

With mere moments to react, she apparently slammed on the brakes - a straight skid mark in the northbound lane can been seen at the point of impact.

THROW THE BOOK AT HIM... :evil3:

Old 22-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #16
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Police believe a truck carrying concrete pipes steered across an unbroken line and into the path of the oncoming 4WD being driven by the 17-year-old girl.

It appears it was caught behind a slow moving truck and attempted to overtake, striking the 4WD head on.

With mere moments to react, she apparently slammed on the brakes - a straight skid mark in the northbound lane can been seen at the point of impact.

+1...
Old 22-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #17
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Quote:

Let's try and be a little more charitable here and have empathy. Yes, it appears he was at fault but have you NEVER made a mistake - if no ..... be warned, the devil always jumps up.

This bloke has this to live with for the rest of his life, as does his family (if he has one) as it will also impact on them. A mistake (for reasons we have not yet been informed of - you were the one telling people not to jump the gun until we knew all the facts earlier!). No-one has said yet he has a dreadful driving record or was drunk etc so let's wait until we know this - he was trying to overtake not hoon driving.

You sound like you're ready to leave your computer and get the lynching party ready. It was a tragic accident.

I hope you never make one - you might be too harsh on yourself.

GT

Quote:

Old 22-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #18
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT
Let's try and be a little more charitable here and have empathy. Yes, it appears he was at fault but have you NEVER made a mistake - if no ..... be warned, the devil always jumps up.

This bloke has this to live with for the rest of his life, as does his family (if he has one) as it will also impact on them. A mistake (for reasons we have not yet been informed of - you were the one telling people not to jump the gun until we knew all the facts earlier!). No-one has said yet he has a dreadful driving record or was drunk etc so let's wait until we know this - he was trying to overtake not hoon driving.

You sound like you're ready to leave your computer and get the lynching party ready. It was a tragic accident.

GT
The story has now been updated from what you've read i think.

Based on what has now been "alleged" he tried to overtake a slower truck OVER an unbroken line (illegal now) into the path of the oncoming 4WD when obviously it wasnt clear or safe to do so...

Hey if the story changes so will my position and opinion....

But if what is now alleged is true it wasn't an accident IMO...

Old 22-01-2010, 03:13 PM   #19
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT

GT

I will go along with the empathy bit, but it does seem that the article implies that a truck pulled out across the unbroken line whilst overtaking a slower moving vehicle that resulted in a head on collision with tragic results.

Certainly, we do make the odd mistake, but a mistake of this epic proportion that costs the lives of two others, that from the facts presented in the article, could only be attributed to impatience - I am of the thinking that it was not a tragic accident, but the result of only the truck drivers actions.

Further information may come to light, but at this point in time there is only one conclusion.
Old 22-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #20
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT
Some very decent people like yourself and say Flappist,- both of whom I respect, often have to remind folk - this.

But, sadly, I am sick and tired to stupid and sometimes arrogant people killing innocent folk on the roads and effectively 'getting away with it', by receiving piddly-poor sentencing by the courts; where its about rehabilitation rather than punishment.

I say this after some 20 years of government road safety advocacy.

Be assured, I have never made stupid mistakes like this and I never ever will, its not hard to avouid making dumb mistakes; - a solid line is a solid line, SOME THINGS you just don't do, unless your utterly, utterly stupid and culpable.

I have stuff all sympathy for idiots on the roads these days. I have to be honest, bluntly honest - IF a stupid person kills my boy, my wifie or dear family member, by a really dumb and obvious illegal action, AND by the rare event I happen on scene - *it will* take more than attending police to stop me extinguishing the life of the SOB.

The courts and the State need to toughen up and we DO need more jails.

I would be prepared to do the time.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 22-01-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 22-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #21
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

I have to say I am with you 4Vman. If he has overtaken another truck (note I said if), and caused a head on with another car, killing two innocent people, in my opinion charge him, try him and lock him up to the full extent of the law. I do not believe that this illegal overtaking exercise is his first time he has ever done it, might be the first time he has been caught but not the first time he has done it. Simple fact he crossed that line, knowing there was a risk and he made that choice. That was a calculated decision.

My empathy for dangerous drivers such as this disappeared the first time I had to wash the proceeds of their work off my hands. Since when do we show empathy for someone that behaved recklessly and cause the death of 2 people, one of which was young and had their whole life ahead of them? Next we will be saying the guy who fired a gun into a crowd did not mean to kill anyone and just wanted to scare them, it was a mistake.

Sorry if I sound harsh but my empathy does not go to the truck driver if that is how it happened. It is my wish that he goes to jail, for as long as possible. My empathy goes to the family of those that were killed.

Some may see my view as harsh, but I am sure most that have dealt with this situation either personally or professionally will not.
Old 22-01-2010, 03:37 PM   #22
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keepleft, geckoGT - top posts.
Old 22-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #23
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr
Keepleft, geckoGT - top posts.
+1.. spot on.

Old 22-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #24
left
Lady Leadfoot

^^count me on on that too. Overtaking on solid line (if correct). Idiot :togo:

Quote:
Building sites on a hot day: the females equivalent to a strip club
Old 22-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #25
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just found out who was involved in this terrible incident. Our tight knit little horse community has lost another rider to the heavens.

RIP Jamie and Chris

Last edited by Melz; 22-01-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 22-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #26
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The story has now been updated from what you've read i think.

Based on what has now been "alleged" he tried to overtake a slower truck OVER an unbroken line (illegal now) into the path of the oncoming 4WD when obviously it wasnt clear or safe to do so...

Hey if the story changes so will my position and opinion....

But if what is now alleged is true it wasn't an accident IMO...
agreed. its tragic that in accidents involving cars and trucks 9 times out of 10 the truck driver is at fault.
Old 22-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #27
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna
agreed. its tragic that in accidents involving cars and trucks 9 times out of 10 the truck driver is at fault.
absolute bulldust!!!!!

you surely can't be serious.
Old 22-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #28
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

A truck overtaking another truck is pretty dangerous to begin with.

The truck behind would need a pretty long stretch of road to get into the right lane, overtake and then come back into the left lane leaving a safe distance between himself and the truck he overtook.

If you were on a road that you could perform the above on safely, then the lines would surely be broken.

I agree with 4vman, throw the book at him!
Old 22-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #29
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Probably a bit of a gross generalisation but I see where it comes from. So often we see trucks overtaking when there is not room, racing yellow/red lights and following way too close to the car in front. They are "professional" drivers, driving vehicles that require special considerations and can easily cause massive damage to other persons or property. Society does expect that those "special considerations" are not only extended to the truck driver, but vice versa as well.

I see this daily here with the quarry trucks traveling on Mt Cotton road, sick of seeing heavy rigid/dog combo's just about swapping paint with the rear bumper of my mini at 80 km/h approaching a set of lights. Not to mention them racing the yellow light, it turning red just as they cross the line with them doing at least 90 in a 80 zone at the Mt Cotton Rd and Valley Way intersection (down hill in both directions. Someone really has to introduce these drivers to the concept of a "stale green" light. If I was in a position of any decision in the police, I would set up an unmarked sting operation along frequent truck routes such as Mt Cotton Rd. A fatal accident at this intersection is just a matter of time.
Old 22-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #30
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Totally agree Gecko!

I was almost rear ended by a 'B' double today doing 80k whilst i was waiting to turn right in a 60 zone.
I saw the smoke billowing from his brakes in my rear view mirror and decided to nail it just making it out of the way whilst dodging the oncomming cars
The stupid thing is it was just before a construction area with a 25k sign so i have no idea why he was accelerating above the posted 60k.
Closed Thread