Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 07-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
sus_038
nufnsus

Question Trouble Selecting Reverse 09 Fiesta

Hey everyone,

My misses 09 Fiesta Zetec 5speed is a great gear box... until you try and put it into reverse...

Sometimes (bout 15%) it goes straight into reverse no problems. But the 85% of time it doesn't, even if you hold clutch down for few secs or put it into 1st 3rd and then reverse. After while obviously it goes into reverse but it takes some time, and sometimes when you think its in R and you goto move it grinds aways (only happens twice) Car has only done 70xxxkms and always looked after.

Could it be in need of an oil change or the syncros are going?

Any ideas whats going on here?

Thanks heaps in advance!!

sus_038 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
sus_038
nufnsus

Default Re: Trouble Selecting Reverse 09 Fiesta

No one on here knows? Or has this issue? :( - lol.

Cheers.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
Swoopdown

maybe have alook at this
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1850123

or call your mechanic for advice
Swoopdown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2014, 06:00 PM   #4
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Know three people with WS Fiesta's and all of them have the same issue.

It's the "character" of the gear box.

I would change the gearbox oil every 60-80,000kms (ignore Ford's "sealed for life" crap) and they aren't the world's strongest boxes.

But nothing wrong with the car/box itself, there's no synchro's on the reverse gear in any car.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
Pursya

Reverse, as stated, has no synchro.
But I remember years ago a problem with a Eunos 500 of my wife's that sounded very similar.
We ended up replacing the drive shafts!
Problem solved.
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

If you dont hold your foot on the clutch for at least 5 seconds before trying reverse it will crunch into gear, or not go in properly.

Mine has done it since new, I think this is one of those cases where Ford is actually right "they all do it".
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2014, 08:36 PM   #7
newi

My fiance's Fiesta Metal does exactly this - only done 12,000k & done it since new.

If you actually read the manual it states that you have to slowly put it in reverse and count - one, two, three.... I AM BEING SERIOUS - Ford pointed this out - haha.

It'll always go in - sometimes straight away, sometimes you have to put it in 1st and let the clutch out slightly. It does seem a little better when warm

I have just put it down to a 'quirk' - it doesn't really bother us.
newi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2014, 08:48 PM   #8
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ill add, my WT isnt too bad at all actually. sometimes its a bit notchy and doesnt go in properly but otherwise its pretty good. However with km's it is slowly getting a bit more difficult (38000kms).

My dad's WP on the other hand is mixed. When we first got it, it was quite difficult, then the clutch was changed, therefore new oil in gearbox, and it was 10 times worse and would crunch constantly, only way to relieve this was to go into third, then into reverse, AND then it recently had new oil put in again, now it doesnt crunch at all, and you can even be abit crude with it and it wont crunch.

New oil may or may not help in my experience. But they do all do it, you just gotta work out the best way to get around it. i have found and heard that lifting the clutch up just a tiny bit can help when engaging.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #9
sus_038
nufnsus

Thanks everyone for your reply's, i have put her mind at a bit more ease now knowing that hers isn't the only one that does it!!

Cheers