Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-04-2023, 10:50 PM   #1
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford Dealer Bulletin XA GTHO

The attached was posted in Australian Motoring History Facebook Group.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XA GTHO.jpg (107.6 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by EBSXR6; 27-04-2023 at 11:02 PM.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2023, 11:49 PM   #2
GT1533

Default Re: Ford Dealer Bulletin XA GTHO

It’s no secret that the Phase 4 was cancelled.
What am I missing here?
GT1533 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2023, 12:08 AM   #3
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1533 View Post
What am I missing here?
The document shows a contradiction by Ford.
Ford had assigned a Model Code and Price then issue a letter saying it was a mistake.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-04-2023, 08:42 AM   #4
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Again no secret, Evan Green stirred the pot after is was a designated build model.
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2023, 09:12 AM   #5
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The big scare scandal kicked off with a headline on 25 June 1972, which has been documented and referred to numerous times
The latest Australian Muscle Car magazine has an article on the 4th XA GTHO.
But all this is before the 'living memory' of most of the population.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2023, 10:27 AM   #6
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To me, there is only ONE GTHO Phase 4 - we all know it's Green and has the letters GTHO on the compliance plate. And until I see another compliance plate with the same specs then I'll acknowledge another one exists.

The other three (whilst being GTs) were just that and were to be built to Race Specs - they aren't complianced GTHOs in my books.

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2023, 10:41 AM   #7
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^^ good point.
If I could edit ' 4th XA GTHO' to ' the only road complianced GTHO' ........... but I can't.
Old 28-04-2023, 10:56 AM   #8
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
^^^^^ good point.
If I could edit ' 4th XA GTHO' to ' the only road complianced GTHO' ........... but I can't.
Yeah I understand
There are a lot of Passionate followers out there in Ford land who have their views on this subject - I read them, I agree with some and disagree with others but at the end of the day - we all have our own opinions.

I stopped buying Australian Muscle Car magazine a while ago (my collection got too big) but I may pick this one up and have a read. Cheers.

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2023, 12:14 PM   #9
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Wait..what!!!

Theres 4 XA GTHO's, are you guys trying to suggest the 3 Lot 6 Brambles red XA's arent real HO's??

*Grabs popcorn...
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2023, 12:18 PM   #10
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1533
What am I missing here?
Ford were trying to deny it ever existed. And they weren't planning to have one of these so called "bullets on wheels".

It was them trying to cover their *****.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2023, 12:25 PM   #11
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6WGN View Post
To me, there is only ONE GTHO Phase 4 - we all know it's Green and has the letters GTHO on the compliance plate. And until I see another compliance plate with the same specs then I'll acknowledge another one exists.

The other three (whilst being GTs) were just that and were to be built to Race Specs - they aren't complianced GTHOs in my books.
I see it from a different view. The factory was building them as GTHO race cars, so in my eyes that's what they were. The compliance plate means nothing when these cars are documented and have the recognition as to what they were. If it was built to the proper specs by the factory, then that's what they are. It's different if it was done in someones backyard.

Cams didn't care that they didn't have HO on the compliance plate, they would have allowed them to race as GT-HO's with the proper homologation requirements cause that's what the factory documentation would have said they were.
Old 28-04-2023, 12:32 PM   #12
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
The document shows a contradiction by Ford.
Ford had assigned a Model Code and Price then issue a letter saying it was a mistake.
A total BS backpeddle. It existed as evidenced by the Green Meenie.

But also back then all the Ford dealers received an instruction from Ford that all the recently released XA parts manuals must be collected and destroyed and new ones will be sent. Reason being this new XA parts manual had parts referenced for the XA GTHO.

I was in the right place at the right time as a semi destroyed XA Ford parts manual that was in a skip bin about to head to a furnace fell out and it has many references to GTHO parts Later I also obtained the revised edition and all these GTHO part references were now deleted.

Might think about flogging them as they are genuine history
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2023, 12:34 PM   #13
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Without digging through a lot of my historical stuff ............
Bruce Hodgson's rally GTHO was pranged, restored and is now in Bowdens collection ? Question, I dunno.
What happened to the other 2 ?
Old 28-04-2023, 12:48 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrunner
A total BS backpeddle. It existed as evidenced by the Green Meenie.

But also back then all the Ford dealers received an instruction from Ford that all the recently released XA parts manuals must be collected and destroyed and new ones will be sent. Reason being this new XA parts manual had parts referenced for the XA GTHO.

I was in the right place at the right time as a semi destroyed XA Ford parts manual that was in a skip bin about to head to a furnace fell out and it has many references to GTHO parts Later I also obtained the revised edition and all these GTHO part references were now deleted.

Might think about flogging them as they are genuine history
There was also a dealer bulletin sent out to dealers saying "Gentlemen - The XA GT-HO is now in production".

This is the only image I could find of it, and it's pretty hard to read. But it just shows they backpeddled hard.

3 users like this post:
Old 02-05-2023, 10:58 AM   #15
Terror_Tree
SZ II TS Territory-Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT450 View Post
Again no secret, Evan Green stirred the pot after is was a designated build model.
I have a different theory. Who gained the most by having the GTHO IV cancelled? I wouldn't be surprised if Holden had a hand in getting this story published There is now way a V8 LJ Torana would have been competitive, too heavy at the front.

FWD is the Devils work
Terror_Tree is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-05-2023, 12:28 PM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I wonder how many days away they were from actually going down the line, if the dealer bulletin says they were now in production, and they had the 250 sets of parts all ready to go. Must have been days.

Why couldn't that absolute **** hat Evan Green have kept his damn mouth shut.

He denied us the Ph4 and the planned Ph5 coupe. Which would have been awesome. Although ADR27 would have eventually killed them anyway.
4 users like this post:
Old 02-05-2023, 02:48 PM   #17
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terror_Tree View Post
I have a different theory. Who gained the most by having the GTHO IV cancelled? I wouldn't be surprised if Holden had a hand in getting this story published There is now way a V8 LJ Torana would have been competitive, too heavy at the front.
Nonsense. The V8 engine in the LJ sat back further, improving the front/rear balance & the weight difference between the 6 & V8 was only around 40 kg. This was overcome by the fitting of a fibreglass bonnet, so the total weight was the same a 6-cyl XU1. Braking was also slightly upgraded.

They entered a prototype V8 LJ at the 1972 Bathurst Easter event in the Sports Sedan category (in Series Prod. trim) & it came 3rd to 2 fairly serious Porsches. Larry Perkins drove it & his comment was that it was substantially quicker than the 6-cyl & would easily win the 500, come Bathurst that year.

There was no guesswork here.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2023, 02:58 PM   #18
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I see it from a different view. The factory was building them as GTHO race cars, so in my eyes that's what they were. The compliance plate means nothing when these cars are documented and have the recognition as to what they were. If it was built to the proper specs by the factory, then that's what they are. It's different if it was done in someones backyard.
I'll agree with most of that, except that this is the 1st time they didn't race the car as it left the production line. These cars were built as GTs & then converted to GT-HO specs after they drove off the line (at the Mahoneys Rd Ford race workshop).

They were accepted by CAMS (& the FIA) for homologation purposes, but they were not built as GT-HOs initially.

In later years this was commonplace, they even built cars from bare shells, which had no compliance plates. By the race rules this was all OK.

Dr Terry
Old 02-05-2023, 04:29 PM   #19
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
I'll agree with most of that, except that this is the 1st time they didn't race the car as it left the production line. These cars were built as GTs & then converted to GT-HO specs after they drove off the line (at the Mahoneys Rd Ford race workshop).

They were accepted by CAMS (& the FIA) for homologation purposes, but they were not built as GT-HOs initially.

In later years this was commonplace, they even built cars from bare shells, which had no compliance plates. By the race rules this was all OK.

Dr Terry
Most likely due to the timing. If they had production GT-HO's available they would have used them. As they wanted them ready for Bathurst the only available cars they had were GT's, and they had to use them and convert them to HO spec.

Something like that anyway.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:40 PM   #20
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Most likely due to the timing. If they had production GT-HO's available they would have used them. As they wanted them ready for Bathurst the only available cars they had were GT's, and they had to use them and convert them to HO spec.

Something like that anyway.
Very true & I agree, but these 3 cars are not 100% 'real' GT-HOs, which the Calypso Green is.

Dr Terry