Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-08-2020, 08:30 PM   #61
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 
Default Re: "Sealed" Batteries - Have we been conned?

If I get 4 months I am happy in the cabs...
Been using AC Delco AU22R520SMF for the last couple of years.
Decent value for money I find.

NOTE - they will go flat at 2am making me get out of bed to fix it in about 3-4 months, I then replace them...recharge the old battery and it will give another 1-2 years in a normal car/boat...I dont pay that price above but!
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-08-2020, 08:45 PM   #62
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

batteries need to be out of the hot under bonnet. Heat kills them

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2020, 08:47 PM   #63
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
You do realise you can still order Century batteries with caps. Only got to ask the distributor.
Just bought 8 X N150 for my solar set up. Been using them for years without a problem.
The new batteries lids are designed to return the acid to each cell with designed galleries.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2020, 12:30 AM   #64
gooseneck
Banned

That isn't the only difference though. In the newer "sealed" batteries the plates are Calcium/Lead blends.

Also. I think I know why the newer Sealed Calcium Starter batteries fail sooner. Its because they have less electrolyte and are designed for a charging system that cooks them for too long and was designed for flooded batteries which are meant to be topped up and under bonnet temperatures have only risen as time goes on. So as the car is driving along the battery overheats and vents a little bit and never gets topped up, so it only lasts 1 year or so.

Quote:
The sealed battery contains less electrolyte than the flooded type, hence the term “acid-starved.” Perhaps the most significant advantage of sealed lead acid is the ability to combine oxygen and hydrogen to create water and prevent dry out during cycling. The recombination occurs at a moderate pressure of 0.14 bar (2psi). The valve serves as a safety vent if the gas buildup rises. Repeated venting should be avoided as this will lead to an eventual dry-out.
Of course even though I knew this for years it never occurred to me that this might be the cause.

I might be in the market for a flooded Century battery and could put the Lifepo4 battery into an auxiliary position in my falcon.

https://batteryuniversity.com/index....ased_batteries

https://www.amae.net.au/2018/11/07/d...es-comparison/

The D23RT should sub for the 67EF hey?
https://www.centurybatteries.com.au/...ery/d23rt/info
https://www.centurybatteries.com.au/...7ef%20mf/28338

Some nice info in the spec sheet: https://www.centurybatteries.com.au/...9-1345a_hr.pdf

Last edited by gooseneck; 24-08-2020 at 12:45 AM.
gooseneck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2020, 10:11 PM   #65
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whatever the theoretical bs they use to justify these batteries, its is a CON.

I have oldschool batteries in my boat, and nomatter how flat they get, they can be topped up and keep on going. They aint great, they are ancient, but they still work.

I finally cracked it, and took to one of these "sealed" batteries with a drill. dry as fekking bone. Only a small battery and took about a litre of water. It's probably too late for this one, but it proves the point.
We've been conned, hook, line & sinker. They seal up the batteries, and force us to through them out every couple of years, what a rort.
Old 27-08-2020, 03:42 PM   #66
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
batteries need to be out of the hot under bonnet. Heat kills them
The cold kills them quicker.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2020, 03:45 PM   #67
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Whatever the theoretical bs they use to justify these batteries, its is a CON.

I have oldschool batteries in my boat, and nomatter how flat they get, they can be topped up and keep on going. They aint great, they are ancient, but they still work.

I finally cracked it, and took to one of these "sealed" batteries with a drill. dry as fekking bone. Only a small battery and took about a litre of water. It's probably too late for this one, but it proves the point.
We've been conned, hook, line & sinker. They seal up the batteries, and force us to through them out every couple of years, what a rort.
Agree its a con if you want them to survive longer.
You get a chance, check out Pakistan truck on youtube. Bl**dy amazing stuff but the best is rebuilding their own batteries.

Old 27-08-2020, 09:02 PM   #68
mondeomatureguy

Hi guys,
I drive a lot. I've done over 342,000ks now in my Ford Mondeo and onto my third battery.

When we brought the car new in 2012 the original battery only lasted about 3 years and that was driving every weekend from Sydney to the South Coast.
It died out side a Shopping Center in Sydney at the time.

The second battery was a little better was fitted in 2015 and in that time the Mondeo went to Adelaide, Port Macquarie, South Coast, Melbourne. That Battery died this year and the NRMA told me that "it had dropped a cell in the Battery.

Lets see how long this Battery goes for?
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2020, 09:58 PM   #69
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

My Focus used to kill batteries every 12 months - it did the original at around 20,000km, then the replacements didn't make it much longer than every 12 months.

Then 3 years ago we modified the carrier to take the larger DIN85L style battery up from the DIN65L - this one has gone a bit over 3 years but its on its last legs now.

Car does 120km on the highway 5 days a week so its not like its used for just small trips or suburban driving.

Could be a heat and vibrations thing I guess.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2020, 08:27 AM   #70
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
My Focus used to kill batteries every 12 months - it did the original at around 20,000km, then the replacements didn't make it much longer than every 12 months.

Then 3 years ago we modified the carrier to take the larger DIN85L style battery up from the DIN65L - this one has gone a bit over 3 years but its on its last legs now.

Car does 120km on the highway 5 days a week so its not like its used for just small trips or suburban driving.

Could be a heat and vibrations thing I guess.
I thought 3 - 5 years was usually pretty good for average car use considering what they are put through during winter and summer driving.

Deep cycle RV stuff totally different environment.

Old 10-05-2023, 12:15 PM   #71
asimplelife
mechanical novice hopeful
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimplelife View Post
Well I have and bought an ACDelco AU22R520SMF today over the Delkor 22EFR-520, Century and SuperCharge Gold...
I've bought 2 of these ACDelco AU22R520SMF in recent years for my fleet of AU falcons :(
I also have an older one of these and a few other brands like Lion, Century and RACV. None of the cars get driven much (surprise) although they all get started and run at least every couple of weeks. And if a battery sounds a little sad, I give it a recondition with a Projecta battery charger, which always seems to provide an improvement.

Anyway, I have to say these 2 newer ACDelco's don't feel like they are going to last as long as the other older batteries. Which is disappointing. So I'll be trying another brand next time.
asimplelife is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post