Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-07-2006, 08:26 PM   #1
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Unhappy OH Ohhhhhhhh!!!

OK. In the attachment is a shot of the back of my Cluster, the odo/dte to be exact. I have recently replaced all the globes, but these 2, with LEDs. While I had the Cluster out, thought I'd have a look at the globes behind the odo/dte, took the globe out, everything looked pretty normal I guess, put it back in and proceeded to replace the Cluster. Once in, I noticed that the globe no longer worked and thought that I must have damaged it some how. So dismantled the cluster again, removed the globe from the opposite side and swapped them over only to find that it didn't work either, so put them back in there rightful places and now have no light from my odo/dte at all grrrrrrrrrr.
The only thing I can think of is that I have damage the circuit board where the arrows are pointing to. After removing, there seems to be 2 silver strips on either side of the opening that must be contacts for the holder. I've scratched these with a pair of tweezers that I used to twist the globe holders out of there seat. Does anybody know about these things? Have I screwed the pooch on this one???
Oiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii :

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Instrument Cluster.jpg (50.0 KB, 90 views)
:sm_headba
Yum-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your handy with a soldering iron you should be able to revive it.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 09:29 PM   #3
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Probably broken the wires on the base of the light , i did this to both of mine when i removed them , didn't realise till later , the wires are hair thin almost , and very easy to break when you twist them out of the mount to remove them. They looked ok but i tested them with a multimeter and the wires in the globe base had broken somewhere .

Providing you havent wrecked the contacts on the cluster , and the bulb is ok , It could also be just the wire contacts on the base of the globe have flattened out to hard against the base , stick the head of a pin or something under the wire contact / to give the centre of the wire contact a sort of point eg .... before ___ after _/\_ , help it contact the contacts on the cluster better . gl

:eclipsee_

Last edited by XR6-VCT-2000; 11-07-2006 at 10:21 PM.
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 10:25 PM   #4
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Probably broken the wires on the base of the light , i did this to both of mine when i removed them , didn't realise till later , the wires are hair thin almost , and very easy to break when you twist them out of the mount to remove them. They looked ok but i tested them with a multimeter and the wires in the globe base had broken somewhere .
Whew...thought it was more technical LOL I managed to get the wires unwound with me sausages and still intact so hopefully it's all in the base which would mean un-solderable(such a word???) So off to Ford tomorrow me thinks or where ever I can get the globes from, not many places in town here. If I could just get the damn needles off I'd be doing the LED thing to it hehehe
Cheers guys for the help. :
Old 11-07-2006, 10:27 PM   #5
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Providing you havent wrecked the contacts on the cluster , and the bulb is ok , It could also be just the wire contacts on the base of the globe have flattened out to hard against the base , stick the head of a pin or something under the wire contact / to give the centre of the wire contact a sort of point eg .... before ___ after _/\_ , help it contact the contacts on the cluster better . gl
DOH!!! Ok...this wasn't here before I unwound the wires lol might still give it a go though bwahahaha