Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Chilean miners

We can remember back to the guys trapped in the gold mine Tasmania all those years ago....

Imagine how these guys feel??

Seems progress is being made...

Quote:
Drill reaches trapped Chile miners
Updated 5 hours 4 minutes ago

That hole will now have to be widened to 70 centimetres, with the miners themselves working to clear the tons of rubble from the excavation. (Reuters: Chilean Mining Ministry)

Related Story: Chile rescue drill stuck in shaft Related Story: Chile mine rescue ahead of schedule Related Story: Shaft to trapped miners could be drilled in days A drilling operation has reached 33 miners trapped in a Chile mine since early August, but the 630-metre deep hole now must be widened to bring the men out safely, a government official said.

The work still required to extract the miners was to take at least another six weeks, according to officials' estimates.

The government official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said a T-130 drilling machine had broken through to a work area in the tunnel where the miners were holed up, opening a 30-centimetre hole in the roof.

That hole will now have to be widened to 70 centimetres, with the miners themselves working to clear the tons of rubble from the excavation.

The T-130 drill was the second machine brought in to bore a hole to the miners.

The first drill, a slower Strata 950 hydraulic bore, has so far descended only 320 meters through the ground.

Another, much faster drill usually used on oil platforms, called a RIG-422, was being set up and expected to begin its work within days.

Whichever escape tunnel ends up being finished first, it will have to accommodate a special bullet-shaped capsule which will haul each of the miners to the surface.

The group - comprising 32 Chileans and one Bolivian - was trapped in the mine August 5 after a tunnel collapse.

The miners have survived underground longer than anyone on record.

They are being supplied with food, water, medicine and entertainment through three supply holes. The holes were also carrying communication lines to the surface, where family members were camped.

Friday's breakthrough came just ahead of Chile's weekend bicentennial independence celebrations which were certain to focus on the miners and their extraordinary ordeal.

Chilean energy minister Laurence Golborne, who has been overseeing the rescue operation, on Thursday said he expected the T-130 drill to reach the miners by the weekend.

He explained that the second phase of the machine's operation, after breaking through to the miners, was to have its drillbit replaced to grind a wider hole using the initial shaft as a guide.

That will "take several additional weeks," he said.

Rescue coordinator Rene Aguilar said on Wednesday that the best-case scenario was "reaching them by the first days of November."

On Chile's bicentennial independence celebrations Saturday, both the miners and their families were to raise the Chilean flag and sing the national anthem, according to Atacama region governor Ximena Matas.

President Sebastian Pinera will also visit the mine to celebrate to salute the men trapped underground and the rescue crews trying to save them, minister Golborne said.

- AFP

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...18/3015405.htm

One hope the outcome is good for them.... Id be stark raving mad by now... oops too late.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

having done some time underground seen enough and know enough this is one epic tale of survival...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
xr6turbo2005
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

will definantely be an epic tale. fingers crossed it all works out and they all arrive back up top.

2008 FPV GT - Auto, Seduce Red, Leather Interior, Herrod Performance Air Box with K&N Pod Filter.

2018 4WD Everest Trend - Blue Reflex.
xr6turbo2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
JK EX CHASER
Formally kotevski22

Hope all goes well for the guy's,I think all mines should have a safety hole a part of safety around the world.
JK EX CHASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
Scott

Certainly is epic though I doubt the media is getting the real story of how the miners are coping. It seems a little too easy by reports.

Will be a scary ride out of there me thinks....
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #6
Scaffy
Rlegaur Mbemer

The company responsible is/has filed for bankruptcy and these guys and their families are without an income for the remainder of the time they are trapped down there.

The mine should never have been reopened either. It was shut down due to safety concerns. There are mineshafts and tunnels criss-crossing each other. A condition of reopening the mine was to dig a second tunnel to the work area, but the company's engineers said it was impossible. Yet the government still approved the reopening and now they don't want to take any responsibility.
[YEAH NAH] Red EL XR8 with Trick Flow top end kit, 70mm tb, 73mm maf, 24lb injectors, tweecer, 3.73s & tired T5 = 275rwhp & 13.155@105mph NA. 12.375@116.73 N2O - Off the road, awaiting 347 293ci and Astro Performance gear-kitted T5 (A5)

White EL Series II XR8, manual, high flow cats, single 3" exhaust and Quarterhorse = 236rwhp and 14.18@97.5mph - E7 heads FTW! - SOLD
Scaffy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
gtfpv
GT

lucky this has made media attention . in mexico nobody would know and the miners would be left to thier own fete .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #8
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

here is a link to the book 'Bad Ground' a very good read about what went on in Tasmania touches on the old story how they should not have been where they were in the first place...
http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Ground-Ins.../dp/1741960053
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 09:20 AM   #9
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do recall a few weeks later after their rescue that the union brought up various saftey breaches about the mine prior to the collapse...?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #10
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
lucky this has made media attention . in mexico nobody would know and the miners would be left to thier own fete .

I'm no spelling nazi (I make too many mistakes myself) but that one made me lol a bit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%AAte
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #11
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
Chile is no Mexico, it is somewhat more civil, more Euro-like. I like its armed forces:-)
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 11:24 PM   #12
rodderz

One of them is both dreading and looking foreward to getting out. His wife is up the top, and so is his mistress, whom his wife didnt know about
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post