Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Default AU3 Airbag Fault

The airbag warning light in my AU3 Fairmont has just recently started flashing. It is doing 3 flashes then 2 flashes so I assume that the code is 32...

I have looked at the following link that shows the fault codes but can not see any code of 32 http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...64&postcount=3

I have checked the plugs under both the drivers and passangers seats for the pre-tentioners as mentioned on other threads but both seem ok and the light still flashes after checking them.

Can anyone assist please.

Ray

5.0L, 2.1l Kenne Bell, Tickford T3 Heads, Crow valve springs, YellaTerra 1.7 Rockers, Comp Cam, Comp D-Row Timing, 10mm LiveWire Leads, LC-1 & Moats Quarterhorse, B&M TransCooler, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, King Superlow Coil Springs, John Bowe Superlow Pro Leaf Springs, K&N 4" Pod & CAI, Pacemakers, 100c Cats, 2.5" Redback, 19" FPV Rims, BF-T Prem Brakes, TS50 Bumper with DTRL's, Custom FG Bulge, BA XR Side Skirts/Rear bar

Ford Performance Club of ACT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rayban76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Default Re: AU3 Airbag Fault

Tried disconnecting the battery for a bit to reset and see what happens after you put it back?

Perhaps something has been a miss since your front ender last week?
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

I havent tried that as yet... sadly it actually started 2 days before the front ender lol..

Will give that a try and see what happends though.

5.0L, 2.1l Kenne Bell, Tickford T3 Heads, Crow valve springs, YellaTerra 1.7 Rockers, Comp Cam, Comp D-Row Timing, 10mm LiveWire Leads, LC-1 & Moats Quarterhorse, B&M TransCooler, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, King Superlow Coil Springs, John Bowe Superlow Pro Leaf Springs, K&N 4" Pod & CAI, Pacemakers, 100c Cats, 2.5" Redback, 19" FPV Rims, BF-T Prem Brakes, TS50 Bumper with DTRL's, Custom FG Bulge, BA XR Side Skirts/Rear bar

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-11-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

From memory code 32 is "the drivers airbag circuit open" . Do you still have stereo/cruise control funtions? Horn working?
Could be the early signs of a failing clockspring.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2012, 12:27 AM   #5
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Oh ok... I cant use the stereo controls as I have an aftermarket touch screen in, but the horn and cruise control work fine

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 15-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #6
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Ray, any luck? Check the connector for the airbag that sits under the dash going up the steering column. It's a 2 pin, black connector with red bits on it...
Old 15-11-2012, 01:33 AM   #7
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon View Post
Ray, any luck? Check the connector for the airbag that sits under the dash going up the steering column. It's a 2 pin, black connector with red bits on it...
Hm thanks Tony, i'll check that first thing tomorrow morning ...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 15-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayban76 View Post
Hm thanks Tony, i'll check that first thing tomorrow morning ...
Checked the plug today, all looks fine, the wires feel tight in the plug so guess that rules that out :(

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 15-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

Did you check for voltage at the connector? My horn and steering wheel controls worked for about 2 months after the airbag light started going off.
As per usual, picked the opportune moment to fail. Had a lady who didn't check her blind side and just moved over on me. Lucky there was no one in the other lane next to me. Hit the horn to let her know I was there and nothing.
Old 15-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni View Post
Did you check for voltage at the connector? My horn and steering wheel controls worked for about 2 months after the airbag light started going off.
As per usual, picked the opportune moment to fail. Had a lady who didn't check her blind side and just moved over on me. Lucky there was no one in the other lane next to me. Hit the horn to let her know I was there and nothing.
No I havent checked the voltage, however I will look at replacing the clock spring anyway I think, at this stage horn and cruise are working fine but I suspect the same as what happened to you will be next on the cards with mine as well so safer to replace

Ray

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 15-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #11
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Trip to a FRIENDLY Ford dealer and get them to check the codes you can spend days checking every thing and it could just need a reset

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #12
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha View Post
Trip to a FRIENDLY Ford dealer and get them to check the codes you can spend days checking every thing and it could just need a reset
Thanks for the advice Whoosha, my horn actually stopped working this morning lol... so pretty sure now lol...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 16-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #13
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayban76 View Post
Thanks for the advice Whoosha, my horn actually stopped working this morning lol... so pretty sure now lol...
Right on cue..lol
Old 22-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #14
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Ok so my new clock spring arrived today so a quick 10 minute job to swap them over... Thanks everyone for the advice.

Some pics and instructions of the swap out. Hope this has helped anyone thats wondering how to replace the clock spring

First up eithe disconnect the battery or remove the fuse for the airbag (fuse 21 under the dash) and wait at least 5 minutes before attempting to remove the airbag.

After having no power for at least 5 minutes, remove the 2 screw covers left and right rear sides of the airbag and remove the screws (you will need a 5 point star bit with the hole in the centre)

unplug the 2 plugs behind the airbag (yellow plucg connected directly to the rear of the airbag and red plug for the horn)

unclip the black plug that connects the clock spring to the steering wheel controls (upper left corner of the inside of the steering wheel) then undo the 5 point star drive bolt and reomve steering wheel to reveil the clock spring

Un clicp the clock spring from its 3 clip points (2 left, 1 right side). follow cables along the steering collum and unclip the 2 plugs apart and remove the clock spring completely

Clip new clock spring on and reconnect the plugs under the collum.

Refit steering wheel and retention screw then reconnect the black plug back together

reconnect the red plug for the horn and then the yellow plug back to the rear of the airbag and replace the airbag back on the steering wheel and place the side screws back in. caps on and your complete.

And a pull apart of the inside of the broken clock spring

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This user likes this post: