Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Araldite 5 Minute Epoxy Adhesive

I was trying to fix a magnetic phone holder to my FG dash and in a moment of fookin stupidity and anger cause the 3m stuff wasnt working, I used Araldite 5 Minute Epoxy Adhesive
Only then to realise that the bleedin holder wouldnt hold the phone because of the rugged case I need,. Ive solvered that.........
but left with a fookin mess on the dash between ICC and cluster
how do I remove it PLEASE
Old 22-12-2020, 12:06 PM   #2
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

Default Re: Araldite 5 Minute Epoxy Adhesive

try heat, a plastic chisel to scrape off, but the heat may stuff up other stuff.

i know that araldite is pretty strong
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2020, 12:12 PM   #3
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

is that the soft bit of trim around the cluster that's all messy? if so what happens if you depress it, maybe it will crack the araldite off....
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2020, 12:20 PM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Methylene chloride stripper will soften it nicely.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2020, 07:55 PM   #5
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks guys, paint stripper eh? who would have guessed. I will be doing it sparingly.
Old 22-12-2020, 11:36 PM   #6
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Yep, be very careful, good chance you could melt the dash perhaps.

Ed
Old 22-12-2020, 11:46 PM   #7
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Ah yes, that was the small detail I held back. Methylene chloride will write off the dash pad while removing the epoxy. Don’t use it.

My honest personal choice would be WD-40 or similar sprayed liberally onto a rag and worked over, it will creep between the dash skin and the adhesive. Slow, maybe very slow, but not harmful. 5 minute Araldite is revolting stuff at the best of times.
This user likes this post:
Old 22-12-2020, 11:52 PM   #8
hayseed

https://www.go-araldite.com/how-to/faq#3
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-12-2020, 09:17 AM   #9
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

HOW DO I REMOVE CURED RESIDUES OF ARALDITE ?
For Araldite Super Glue: residues can be removed using warm water and soap water.
For Araldite Epoxy adhesives:
Cured residue or exuded adhesive may be destroyed by immersion in commercial paint strippers, such as Nitromors or Multistrip, and these are available from most retail paint suppliers. Joints may be broken by soaking in these chemicals for periods up to 24 hours depending on the joint width and thickness. Details for use and safe handling of paint strippers should be obtained from the manufacturers.
NOTE : Care should be taken in using the chemicals given above since they may be hazardous to handle or inflammable, and may also attack the substrate.

my concern was this could be OK on hard surfaces, but the ole dash is not hard.

think I will try Citroënbender second idea, just hope he has not forgotten something else
Old 23-12-2020, 10:08 AM   #10
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

No, no other omissions.

As that document concurs, paint stripper will shift epoxy but you’d choose your substrate to not include vinyl polymers.

The WD-40 “trick” I learned from a musical instrument restorer in Sydney who'd diligently shift amateur-applied substances from a maker’s original surfaces in this way. But, rag it in; never spray directly.
Old 23-12-2020, 01:21 PM   #11
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
No, no other omissions.

As that document concurs, paint stripper will shift epoxy but you’d choose your substrate to not include vinyl polymers.

The WD-40 “trick” I learned from a musical instrument restorer in Sydney who'd diligently shift amateur-applied substances from a maker’s original surfaces in this way. But, rag it in; never spray directly.
+1 for the WD40 suggestion but I'd also leave the car in the sun on a really hot day and remove the glue whilst hot. Temperatures over 60 degrees weakens the adhesive significantly..
Old 23-12-2020, 01:26 PM   #12
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

60 ....60 degrees Celsius yes God's I hope not.but again thanks for heads up.