Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-10-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Default Ford cars in the U.S

(No offense to these members who are from U.S)

I am wondering, which thus is a question to myself, does these ford vheilces which has been built in Australia, were banned from U.S or not to mention that ford models weren't made outside in U.S only that is made from the mexican factory or whatnot? If you know an source to prove this, please.

Otherwise, what I understand that the 2011 model of Ford Fiesta is the first model made outside U.S to be shipped to U.S.A, is this correct?

Old 05-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

I am confused by your first question!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #3
S/P BLUTE
FPV UTE

Who cares :
FPV SUPER PURSUIT BF II #0096 :evil3:
S/P BLUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Hell no Ford NA have had stacks on cars that were foreign made. We even sent Capri's there to be rebadge as Mercury's. Theyve had stuff like Sierra's in the past, not to mention a gazillion cars made in Canada.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #5
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Ford US imported a couple of European Fords and sold them under the brand "Merkur". That's what mine is... made in Belgium, imported to the US, then imported to Australia, and converted to RHD.
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, they make a heap of stuff in Canada as well.

You have to remember the context through, All of GM, Ford and Chrysler in Canada are based in Ontario, which isn't that far from Detroit, and all three have plants in Windsor (which is probably the same distance from Detroit as North Sydney is from Sydney)

A market of 300 Million can support a lot of manufacturing, it probably isn't really surprising that they wouldn't import a hell of a lot of cars.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
I am confused by your first question!
I apologise if it confuses you, would you like me to rephrase it for you?

By other means, this is a example of my friend who tells me (who lives in U.S.A) and I am aware that many Americans hate ford, and in Australia that's the opposite, for few reasons including that ford break down all the time in U.S.A//
Old 06-10-2009, 12:46 AM   #8
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Have another drink, JClarke!
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
Old 06-10-2009, 12:55 AM   #9
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by JClarke

By other means, this is a example of my friend who tells me (who lives in U.S.A) and I am aware that many Americans hate ford, and in Australia that's the opposite, for few reasons including that ford break down all the time in U.S.A//
Well thats made it clear as mud..........:
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 01:46 AM   #10
BTTB
Free XD

ease up fellas...

so his (or her) english isn't fantastic
if you don't understand what is written

then go read something else
BTTB is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 02:43 AM   #11
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I doubt there is an import ban, as previous examples have been given. Also, the US has free trade agreements with many more countries including Australia - something that George W Bush did.
If the bottom line is why isn't the Falcon sold here? To be honest, I don't think the Falcon would do a whole lot here. Unless it went to rental fleets and police cars, it would be low volume. I base that on other 4 door RWD sedans. Charger, 300, G8, Genesis. - all great cars, but you don't see them all over.
I don't think the majority of people hate Ford - just fans of other makes?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 03:10 AM   #12
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the Falcon would do as well in the US as the Taurus did in Aus. there.

Quote:

many people hate Ford in the US.

many people hate Ford in Aus.

many people hate GM in the US.

many people hate Holden in Aus.

on any given day in Aus, there are many Fords broken down, as there are many Holdens broken down. I'm sure the US wouldn't be any different.

Ford US do have imports over there, just like we do here.

Last edited by Unco; 06-10-2009 at 03:22 AM.
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 07:21 AM   #13
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Ford Australia is a Division of Ford Motor Co which is US owned.

There is no import ban per say. But with a population of 220 million+ its in their own favour to make cars locally.
Why would you want to import cars when its viable to make cars and support their own economy.

Picture this, 2010 Camaro SS with a few toys for $33k USD. Dodge Charger RT with an updated Hemi engine $35k USD. Honestly why would one buy an imported car in the US?? How do I know this, I am living here....

We all talk about the Falcon, I agree it would be great from an enthusiasts perspective, but one has to look at the total numbers. While it will help us, will it help them... Pontiac GTO was not a success and neither is the G8 (out of respect of the car as I think they are awesome).

Dealers are closing down here and the ones that are not they are quiet and generally have very little stock. In 2005/6 when I was here I saw a row of 40 Mustangs in one relatively small Ford dealer . Now, you would be lucky to see 4-5 in one lot.

My 2c's.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:15 AM   #14
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTWORKS
ease up fellas...

so his (or her) english isn't fantastic
if you don't understand what is written

then go read something else
I'm sorry if my english isn't that great, but my grammar always needs improvement everyday. That is, english is practically my second language as AUSLAN *(Australian Sign Language) is my first language* :evil3:

Just Chevypower and XR_Srider_GuY has made some valid points here, thank you for clearing this up
Old 06-10-2009, 09:34 AM   #15
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pretty sure the unions have a big say in what cars are imported into the states aswell
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #16
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think unions have that much power - especially not anymore. In these economic times, if they can stay in business, then that is great.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 11:31 AM   #17
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Are they Re-tooling the Crown Victoria facility?
Old 06-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #18
tommyd
Starter Motor

The new Fiesta is the first truly 'global' Ford vehicle, being designed for global consumption and being built in numerous different plants around the world. Interestingly however, depending on the market, specific variants have been slightly changed to cater for local regulations and/or tastes. The Fiesta we currently get in Australia comes from Germany but will shift source to Thailand very soon when the production stream comes on. US-spec Fiestas will be assembled in Mexico. The next such 'global' Ford vehicle is the next (2011-odd) Focus, and the platforms will continue to globalise from now on.

Prior to these vehicles, all Ford vehicles have been developed either with limited scope for export to a wide variety of markets, or have been developed at the same time as a similar vehicle destined for other markets around the world. Hence you get the situation with a Mondeo in Europe, a Falcon in Australia and a Taurus (or Crown Vic) in the US. All these vehicles were developed to meet the specific requirements of their target markets and were never going to be sold alongside each other. This is a direct consequence of Ford being corporately constructed of regional engineering 'fiefdoms', ie. Ford Nth America, Ford of Europe, and to a lesser extent Ford Australia. All these regional centres, although tied in to the global network and being aware of what the others were doing, essentially ran their own race.

This has now changed with the introduction of ONE Ford and you'll see the evidence of this borne out in a greater cohesion of products launched all around the world.
tommyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 06:30 PM   #19
Electric XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm sorry if my english isn't that great, but my grammar always needs improvement everyday. That is, english is practically my second language as AUSLAN *(Australian Sign Language) is my first language* :evil3:

Just Chevypower and XR_Srider_GuY has made some valid points here, thank you for clearing this up
I noticed under your avatar straight away that you mentioned you were deaf mate i understood what you were saying staight away.
mate enjoy the forums theres some great info on here but you will allways get a handfull of smart arsses and tough guys behind there keyboards.
Electric XY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #20
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by landau jaybie
I noticed under your avatar straight away that you mentioned you were deaf mate i understood what you were saying staight away.
mate enjoy the forums theres some great info on here but you will allways get a handfull of smart arsses and tough guys behind there keyboards.
:
Old 06-10-2009, 07:17 PM   #21
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by landau jaybie
Aint that the truth. I got kicked off here a year ago for abusing them back yet i asked a simple question and got nothing but smart a s s comments.
Thats not helping,

Enjoy the forum. :
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #22
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

My apologies, JClarke! Light hearted joking from here! :
Old 06-10-2009, 11:23 PM   #23
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny
My apologies, JClarke! Light hearted joking from here! :
Don't worry about it! I knew you were kidding *thumbs up*
Old 07-10-2009, 12:09 AM   #24
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd
The new Fiesta is the first truly 'global' Ford vehicle, being designed for global consumption and being built in numerous different plants around the world. Interestingly however, depending on the market, specific variants have been slightly changed to cater for local regulations and/or tastes. The Fiesta we currently get in Australia comes from Germany but will shift source to Thailand very soon when the production stream comes on. US-spec Fiestas will be assembled in Mexico. The next such 'global' Ford vehicle is the next (2011-odd) Focus, and the platforms will continue to globalise from now on.

Prior to these vehicles, all Ford vehicles have been developed either with limited scope for export to a wide variety of markets, or have been developed at the same time as a similar vehicle destined for other markets around the world. Hence you get the situation with a Mondeo in Europe, a Falcon in Australia and a Taurus (or Crown Vic) in the US. All these vehicles were developed to meet the specific requirements of their target markets and were never going to be sold alongside each other. This is a direct consequence of Ford being corporately constructed of regional engineering 'fiefdoms', ie. Ford Nth America, Ford of Europe, and to a lesser extent Ford Australia. All these regional centres, although tied in to the global network and being aware of what the others were doing, essentially ran their own race.

This has now changed with the introduction of ONE Ford and you'll see the evidence of this borne out in a greater cohesion of products launched all around the world.
Which doesn't bode well for Broadmeadows.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #25
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_105
Which doesn't bode well for Broadmeadows.
Except that Ford do not have any other big RWD 4 door sedans at their disposal, as the Crown Vic is just about finished. Mondeo is smaller and FWD while the Taurus is FWD/AWD with 6 cylinders only. Taurus and Mondeo will soon share a platform.

Falcon is pretty much unique. Rumour is that Global RWD has a good chance of being revived and Falcon and Mustang will share the same platform, maybe a new Crown Vic too? 2015 might be an interesting time.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2009, 11:31 PM   #26
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Falcon would look good in here..
http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/superduty/2011/
There are other cars in the Ford range..
http://www.lincoln.com/?referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eford%2Ecom&glbcmp=for d|home

http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/?referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eford%2Ecom&glbcmp=for d|home
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 01:04 AM   #27
chrapladm

Love ford but I dont think the falcon would make it in USA.

As far as I read the banning of vehicles coming in to the USA.....I have never seen that before. Most vehicles that I have seen are made for North America or else ware.

UNIONs are still very strong. And regardless of who is PREZ they will still be very strong for a long time.

The crown vict is out dated and a new car needs to emerge to replace it. I look forward to seeing the new technology in the coming years from ford to see what they come up with. SEMA is always exciting to go to to see what might be coming.

I was excited to see what ford has done to their Ford Transit vehicles to get more fuel efficiency. 30% better fuel eff. by designing a quicker starter to turn on the engine in less than .3 secs. WOW
chrapladm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #28
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

mate you spell and phrase your words like a deaf and dumb person speaks ,so your forum name is a good choice.
Ford are not hated anymore than chev in the USA just like in Australia,people have their favorites
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #29
chrapladm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFORDNUT
mate you spell and phrase your words like a deaf and dumb person speaks ,so your forum name is a good choice.
Good name choice but I dont think we need to call anyone deaf and dumb. What would your definition of dumb be? Some people just have trouble typing.

If someone is hearing impaired they are probably smarter than I even if they cant type.
chrapladm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #30
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint347dave
pretty sure the unions have a big say in what cars are imported into the states aswell

The Union has no such say. The company has the right to make those business decisions. The Union only negotiates working conditions and situations. The Union will negotiate to get new products in current US plants to keep the workers working. Even that is a labor issue. The company decides what will be imported and what won't.

They are not retooling the Crown Vic plant. When Ford ceases production of the Crown Vic/Mercury Marquis/Lincoln Towncar the Canadian plant will be closed down, leaving only 5,000 workers left for Ford of Canada.

When speaking in sign language every word is not signed, so people that were always deaf have only learned how to speak in sign language where some words are left out, compared to how hearing people speak. So when deaf people type they are not used to including every single word that you and I use. This is why JClarke's posts are different. Once one understands that he is deaf it is then easily understood why his posts are typed differently. And "deaf and dumb" was an expression from my grandparent's day when deaf people were outcasts and not given a chance at a proper education. This is the 2000's and deaf people get as much education as the rest of us, for pete's sake!

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post