Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
khushey2012
khush

Default EXHAUST need help

hey guys, im new to this so i need help. i want to put an exhaust in my car, not only because it would sound awesome!!! but also because i want it to go quicker. so here's what i need help with.
- What exhaust do i get? im willing to spend upto 600bucks, and all im finding is catback, herrod, and x force exhausts.

- so which one do i get? can some one link me possibly?
- and also i have 2006 xr6 ba mkII

cheers guys

Old 20-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Default Re: EXHAUST need help

Hey mate.

Catback isn't actually a brand, it's the type of component in the exhaust. Your exhaust will be broken down into 3 main sections being your headers which come off the side of your engine, they then go down into your catalytic converter, commonly called a 'cat' which does some fancy science to turn your exhaust gasses into something a bit less harmful for Johnny Rainforest, then from the cat it goes into the cat back section which is usually a piece of pipe with a couple of mufflers in it.

If you want performance increases you'll have to do the whole headers, cat and cat back. If you want it to sound better you'll just need to do cat back.

Headers can be had on eBay for $500ish for a set of Pacemaker 4490s (tried and true across a lot of members on the forums) + $300ish if you want them ceramic coated for lower temperatures, a cat for $200, and then a cat back of your choice. The most common ones seem to be xforce and Redback.

I myself have a full Herrod exhaust, meaning I have Herrod extractors (headers), cat and cat back and it sounds ace and I often get compliments on how my car sounds like a V8.

Extractors won't change your sound much, maybe make it a little deeper but that's it so if you want your car to sound better for not a lot of money, just go for a cat back exhaust for now. A Herrod one can be had for $620ish supplied and fitted at their factory in Thomastown.

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
khushey2012
khush

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWTB
Hey mate.

Catback isn't actually a brand, it's the type of component in the exhaust. Your exhaust will be broken down into 3 main sections being your headers which come off the side of your engine, they then go down into your catalytic converter, commonly called a 'cat' which does some fancy science to turn your exhaust gasses into something a bit less harmful for Johnny Rainforest, then from the cat it goes into the cat back section which is usually a piece of pipe with a couple of mufflers in it.

If you want performance increases you'll have to do the whole headers, cat and cat back. If you want it to sound better you'll just need to do cat back.

Headers can be had on eBay for $500ish for a set of Pacemaker 4490s (tried and true across a lot of members on the forums) + $300ish if you want them ceramic coated for lower temperatures, a cat for $200, and then a cat back of your choice. The most common ones seem to be xforce and Redback.

I myself have a full Herrod exhaust, meaning I have Herrod extractors (headers), cat and cat back and it sounds ace and I often get compliments on how my car sounds like a V8.

Extractors won't change your sound much, maybe make it a little deeper but that's it so if you want your car to sound better for not a lot of money, just go for a cat back exhaust for now. A Herrod one can be had for $620ish supplied and fitted at their factory in Thomastown.
thanks a ton man u really summed it up
Old 20-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

No worries bud. I really can't recommend the Herrod enough. It might be a little quiet for your tastes, as it was for mine, but with the rear muffler removed it sounds even better and loud enough for me without being VS Commodore loud.

If you do this, make sure to ask your exhaust shop to weld a flange onto the muffler and pipe so you can bolt it back up if you don't like it.

Here is a video of a member on this forum's XR6 that has converted many into Herrod customers. He is running a Herrod catback and stock cat and headers in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XdmTG41KmI

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

315rwkw
Old 20-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
khushey2012
khush

herrod aye? i might ask the shop 2morrow, its still road worthy isnt it, if u remove the muffler?? and would u recommend buying it off ebay??
Old 20-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Removing the muffler will most likely put you over the noise regulation limit so probably not. It isn't really THAT loud though, but I wouldn't be hitting wide open throttle near any police that's for sure.

As for buying off ebay, I wouldn't get the cat back off ebay as it is such a large part and I don't really trust other people's packaging of things, but if you buy from Herrod I'm sure they package things properly.

315rwkw
Old 20-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
khushey2012
khush

ahaha thanks a ton man, helped alot. i will defo order a herrod exhaust, seen some youtube videos and defiantly impressed
Old 20-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Good choice ;)

For the record, here's mine (with both mufflers still in). This is when I just had the cat back, no extractors or cat done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXGPgi5yVqQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-BhEPLo95cU

315rwkw
Old 20-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
khushey2012
khush

lol, bro thats the first video i saw , by the way did u go mild steel?
Old 20-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

I did, I couldn't justify the extra cost for the stainless. I'm sure someone will have a good argument as to why to get stainless but I know plenty of people with the mild system that are very happy with it.

The stainless system will last for the best part of forever where the mild system will last many years. Up to you!

315rwkw
Old 21-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #11
jmak44

Wow that XR does sound pretty good
Old 12-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
khushey2012
khush

HEY GUYS IM BACK, Been busy with the HSC, and **** and yeah, anyway got the exhuast ordered from my local shop, its just a dynotune catback 2.5inch, it sounded awesome and i just fell in love. any way i was wondering if u could help me out, i orderd some black altezza lights for my car, and i sort of regret buying them so i was wondering if they would look good or not on my car, who better to ask then u guys, and if i asked a holden fans the replies gonna be like its a ford and its gay lol. so heres the link below to the lights i bought and a pic of my cars rear end. CHEERS HOODS

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160537280...84.m1439.l2648

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink