Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 01-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
silverzetec
Starter Motor

Default dodgy morning starts??

Hi All,
have an 09 Fiesta Zetec and has been a great car uptil a few weeks ago. The issue is: when starting the car in the mornings, after about 30 seconds or so the car will miss and shudder. the car then recovers itself and all is well. It doesnt matter if the car is idling in park or has been put into driver or reverse. This only happens on first start in the mornings, and occasionally later in the day if the car has not been driven since the morning.

when i bought the car it had been filled up with ULP. but i have since been using vpower 100ron. could this be the issue? it has been very gradual and appears to be getting worse.

the vehicle has been back to Fords and they have reprogrammed to puter, but issue has remained. They are liasing with a german team to find the issue.

any ideas?

silverzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
mowog
Discovery 4

Sounds like you have the same feature as many of the XR4's have. Cold start issues are a feature not a problem.
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
silverzetec
Starter Motor

lol, thats basically what Fords are saying.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Hmm might be a more serious problem as what I would have suggested (ECU Flash + 30 sec before moving) you have alreay done. I dont think the difference in petrol would cause it but you never know.

For the record my XR4 and WP never had cold start issues.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
mowog
Discovery 4

Mine has the cold start issue. But it doesn't get driven much now it spends most of its time at the back of the carport. Mainly because I have taken it away from the kids. They all love to drive it but can't manage to find money to put petrol in it. The Mini Cooper Diesel will take its place and kids wont get to drive it either.
Lotus Trooper.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Check your spark plugs. They have been known to go sour with the boat ride over
Old 01-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
silverzetec
Starter Motor

Its about 1000k away from its first service. im going to request that they change the plugs and oil as well. not sure if its done on the first one.
I doubt the 100ron is an issue but am going to try a 95 or 98ron. the issue didnt start until using the Vpower 100ron. dunno.

one note is the puter is not logging any errors, so Ford are a bit stumped.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #8
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverzetec
Its about 1000k away from its first service. im going to request that they change the plugs and oil as well. not sure if its done on the first one.
I doubt the 100ron is an issue but am going to try a 95 or 98ron. the issue didnt start until using the Vpower 100ron. dunno.

Mate most dealers are stumped when you ask them what day it is....
Lotus Trooper.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
curik

I had that problem before, but after the 1st service (ECU updated) I don't notice it anymore. It's not really fuel related as I used 98 and 91 before
curik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2009, 11:02 PM   #10
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yesterday mine started doing this again. My Zetec did it with about 100km on the clock then all was good up untill now. Nearly 3000km now and it's done that exact same thing four times (morning and afternoon). If your driving while it does it it refuses to rev and coughs and spluters until you put the pedal to the floor and it slowly builds revvs. Getting annoying. Mine still has a squeel when the clutch is depressed and first gear engaged most mornings too...
Old 01-09-2009, 11:29 PM   #11
Ben85

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverzetec

Doesnt the Vpower 100Ron have a 10% ethanol blend to get the RON rating that high? Because ethanol does boost RON levels. Maybe its the Ethanol blend in the fuel seeing asthough it has only happened recently.

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Ben85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #12
silverzetec
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben85
Doesnt the Vpower 100Ron have a 10% ethanol blend to get the RON rating that high? Because ethanol does boost RON levels. Maybe its the Ethanol blend in the fuel seeing asthough it has only happened recently.

I think your spot on there Ben85. I let the tank get pretty low on the Vpower, then put just regular ULP in, drove around awhile and tested again this morning and was fine. no coughing, no stalling. the morning was no warmer or cooler than any other morning.
will keep testing just in case its a coincidence. dont want to jinx myself.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #13
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Vpower Racing is 5% ethanol and ALL fiestas are e5 compliant
Old 02-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #14
Ben85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
Compliant is one thing, liking it is another. My VE Clubsport is E10 compliant, but put it in there and the timing has an absolute fit, it runs, but it doesnt like it.

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Ben85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #15
silverzetec
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
On the fuel cap and in the drivers manual, it says that you can use E10.
Two days in a row WITHOUT the Vpower fuel and no dodgy morning starts.

Coincedence or fuel related? Im thinking the Fiesta just doesnt like the Vpower.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:40 AM   #16
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

Give it the old "Italian Tune"... I.E. rev its guts out when driving for say 10-15min (after its warmed up of course)... clear out the cobwebs!!! :evil3: j.k.
Interior: Colour-coded trims. ST leather gear knob w leather gaiter. Brushed Aluminium pedals. Scuff Plates.
Performance: Denso Iridium sparks. CAI. 2" cat-back with Hi-tech stainless muffler & dual chrome tips. Lowered. RSB soon!
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #17
geohatrick

my xr4 only runs on caltex 98 (fuel card) and it cough's and splatters sometimes last night it wouldn't even start till i put my foot flat on the accelerator and then it started and got the revved out of it :S. It also will take 2 starts to get it to turn over most times i get in the car.