Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
Deliverance
Starter Motor

Default Loss Of power Issue

Afternoon Eveyone,

On the way home from the airport the other night I had a problem with my 1998 Au1 wagon. I just pulled on to the free way travelling around 90km/h and all of a sudden I lost all power. The ignition was on but nothing happened when I pressed the accelerator. Speed droped to about 60km/h and power kicked back in for a second and then I lost it again. Pulled the car over to the side of the road and turned off the ignition. Waited 5 mins and turned the car back on and went to drive away and it did it again. Called for a tow back to town. Pulled it off the back of the tow truck and started it up and took it for a spin twice around the block and no issues. I have driven it about 6 kms since and had no issue. What could have been the problem I was experiencing on the freeway? I was under the assumption it may have something to do with either the fuel pump or crap stuck in the fuel filter. As the car did not rev when putting my foot down, I think its safe to say it's not the tranny. What do you reckon?

Deliverance is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Coil pack?
Old 01-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
Coil pack?
I agree Dave.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

coil pack may be the cause but it might also be the fuel pump on it's way out. Not likely to be fuel system blockage (filter etc) due to the intermittent nature of the fault
if you can measure the fule pressure you will probably see it jumping all over the place if the fuel pump is on it's way out

good luck

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
Deliverance
Starter Motor

yeah thats one of the possibilities that I thoghut it might be. Either a fuel blockage or malfunction (Filter or pump) or the coil pack. I've booked it into the mechanic and i'm taking it in tomorrow night. Hopefully should find out before the weekend.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
Deliverance
Starter Motor

Thanx for your help fellas. I'd be absolutley lost if it wasn't for these forums.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

let us know how you go

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 01-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Could be cam position sensor too. But check pump and coil pack first.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good thinking you may be right, maybe we should bet on what it is we just need a forum bookie
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Could be cam position sensor too. But check pump and coil pack first.

Rides:

Old 03-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
Deliverance
Starter Motor

Well I dropped her off at the mechanics last night so I should hear back from them soon. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 27-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #11
Deliverance
Starter Motor

Default Re: Loss Of power Issue

Well what can I say, I have had a hell of a 3 week period. Got the car back from the mechanics. Couldn't find anything that he thought was a problem. Advised me to change the Fuel pump so I did. Had a service as well with the fuel filter changed and It seemed to be running ok for a couple of weeks. Then on Friday I noticed the problem happening again. Would put my foot down and the car would bog down for a second the kick back in. It would do this everytime I put my foot down substantially. Now it wont even start. I t will start for a second and the die. Even when I try to give it a little bit of gas it will just bog down and shut off. This is really making me quite frustrated.
Old 27-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #12
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So it does it on gas and petrol ?

Id be throwing in new plugs and coil. Test the resistance of the leads too. I had a V6 corona that was doing the same thing, Could only drive it with very light throttle other wise it would splutter and bog down. It had a hair line crack in one of the coils.
Beer Baron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #13
aufalco
Alternator

yeah as has already been said check that your getting good spark, start with looking at your plugs and leads and coilpack

ive noticed before that the computers in these tend to compensate for low sparkage issues to keep them running smooth so you can be surprised how much a new coil and leads and plugs can make a difference sometimes
aufalco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #14
hendoau99
app diesel mechanic

seeing as you have ruled out the fuel pump and filter, i'd change the leads and coilpack,get some NGK iridium plugs aswell, they are excellent. also clean the throttle body and check air filter aswell as your air box to tb piping, hairline cracks can make it bog down and play up. if you check everything ive mentioned and it still plays up, it could be a dodgy crank angle sensor or oxygen sensor.
hendoau99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 08:46 AM   #15
Deliverance
Starter Motor

Thanks guys, your assistance is top shelf. I have had the Spark Plugs changed NGK Irridums last service, I also got a new air filter and housing. My mate is a mechanic so he is liasing with the mechanic doing the work to make sure the job gets done properly. Have instructed the mechanic to check coil pack and leads, fuel pump (in case the one that was fitted is faulty), and the fuel line. If it aint any of those well we will have to look at other areas. Appreciate the help, cheers
Old 29-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #16
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Iv seen a faulty TPS do something similar to that too in an AU series 2 I6 auto..

Id also be getting the Oxygen sensors checked, and at the least soak em in Vinegar to clean em up a bit.. If all the mixtures etc have been out due to older plugs/leeds/poor spark etc, then these will benafit from replacing or cleaning up.

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #17
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Hi . Get it checked for fault codes first. This will save alot of searching. It sounds like fuel starvation to me.Why is anyones guess. Did the fuel pump relay get changed? Also the ecu activates the pump relay so there are many variables.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 08:44 PM   #18
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Hi . Get it checked for fault codes first. This will save alot of searching. It sounds like fuel starvation to me.Why is anyones guess. Did the fuel pump relay get changed? Also the ecu activates the pump relay so there are many variables.
+1 .... stop spending money chasing your tail....

Read the fault codes and go from there!

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #19
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
+1 .... stop spending money chasing your tail....

Read the fault codes and go from there!
Agreed.Do the easiest thing first.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post