Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
THR347

Default Adjusting headlights

Hey all,

I was following my dad at night a few days ago and he mentioned that my headlights were a bit blinding on low beam, especially the drivers side. I've even had people in oncoming traffic flash their lights at me. That being the case, i had a look in my manual and under the bonnet and found the orange screw tabs that adjust the angle of the lights but how do i properly aim the beam? Trial and error? or is there a method? The car has the quad hole xr style lights if that helps.

Cheers in advanced. Adz.

THR347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Park nose first against a wall - on level ground obviously - and wind them so the beam is level. You want to wind them down of course. Once you think you have them down low enough, go for a drive around the block and see if they light up enough road. Adjust accordingly if need be.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
THR347

Thanks for the quick reply Peuty, that seems like the most logical method. I'll give it a go asap. What would you recommend for the highbeams? Cheers.
Old 25-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Recommend height wise? I personally like my high beams to illuminate the road as far ahead as possible but not so far that the beams don't actually light anything up. If that makes sense.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
BillC

Back in my auto electrical days we used to stand directly in front of the car with it on low beam. Place your finger on your leg where the main beam hits it. Take ten steps away from the car (night time only and on level ground) and the main beam should still be hitting the same point (on you leg that is). I used this method and it always past inspection for roadworthy in the N.T. where they had a special wall with markings to show if it was within calibration.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
THR347

Ah ofcourse, makes perfect sense! Thanks again.
Old 25-03-2009, 09:36 PM   #7
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Ther is a big complicated formula in the manual but I use the wall method as well. If you can see and no one flashes you it's good enough.

Somtimes the adjustment screws are not enough so you may have to undo the actual 10mm bolts and repositon the light a bit, especially if it has has a prang.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 09:58 PM   #8
AU3XSR
First time Falconless

If you have an Ellerys or Gregorys AU manual they actually give details on making ur own sheet with measurements etc to put up against a wall for calibration...
AU3XSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2009, 12:02 AM   #9
THR347

Awesome guys, thanks. I'll have to get my hands on a manual should be a good investment since i'm starting to do most things myself nowadays.
Old 26-03-2009, 12:06 AM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in the old days you set high beam at 2" downward deflection at 25 feet , and i`d probably set them with half a tank of fuel , if lights set set with low fuel, when you fill up it will be spotting koala`s when the tank is full.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2009, 01:15 PM   #11
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

I use a wall to check mine, at night time in car parks etc so its on level ground. Drive up close to the wall & place two bits of tape on the wall at the headlight level and directly in front of each light. Then reverse away from the wall about 10 metres. I then adjust the lights so that the top cut off of light is sitting on the tape mark & centre them so they are correctly pointed at each bit of tape. This works a treat and gives off good light without being to high or to low. As said before do it with about half a tank of fuel. After adjusting go for a drive and see what you think, if its not quite right, pull up and tweak it till its perfect.

Cheers

Col.
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post