Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-06-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
EATHSV
Oo---oO

Default Can anyone ID my car?

Hey guys

I bought my AU2 XR8 in april 2007 from Fairford in Burnie Tasmania.

It came from somewhere in Victoria beforehand and has no Compliance plates or tickford build plates attached. I've since contacted ford and they have comfirmed that it is the real deal and sent me a printed comp plate. (thank god)

Anyway was hoping someone on here could shed some light to its past life.

Details on pickup were as follows:

2002 AU2 XR8
5 speed
Liquid Silver
Tickford bodykit
Factory Sunroof
Momo woodgrain wheel
BA xr momo shifter
18in GMAX wheels

VIC REGO: RVQ464

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Cheers for any help

EATHSV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2010, 11:56 PM   #2
Kryton

Who did you contact at Ford to get a printed Compliance Plate?
Didnt think they did that at all - ever - for any car out there - under any circumstances.
Is the re-printed plate the same as the original one found on any other car?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 12:03 AM   #3
EATHSV
Oo---oO

Sorry better clarify, they sent me a printed letter that states Ford Australia built my car and lists all its VIN and other trim/trans etc

They don't and will not re-issue any build plates or tickford plates under any circumstances. even once you have the letter.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Why would anyone remove a compliance plate?
I would walk away from anything without one, personally
Old 05-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
I would walk away from anything without one, personally
Not hard to work that one out. I think there's really only one answer.

Anyhow, it isn't a problem UNTIL ...

the person with the "fake" vehicle tries to register it. Even with a compliance plate it cannot ever be registered in any state while another vehicle (the real one) is registered in any state. Naturally, the person trying to register it would have some questions to answer - problem is it will most likely be an unsuspecting person who has been defrauded by a crook. DO NOT EVER buy an unregisterd vehicle no matter how good it may seem until you check the VIN against current records.

Now, if for any reason (say in 30 years time) the real car is taken off the road and not kept registered then the faker could slip through. This is the problem with reborn cars once the model becomes desirable or collectable.

PS. I had an XF with no compliance plates - don't know where they went; they were not on the car when the previous owner had it - I checked the car out thoroughly before purchasing it and all was good.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
EATHSV
Oo---oO

Usually I wouldn't have even touched it But you know how it is rose tinted glasses....

Never really gave it a thought seeing it was from an official Ford dealership and I wasn't really looking for a new car.

It goes to say that you can never be too careful these days!
Old 05-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
ams77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the fact that you bought it from a dealer is probably good for you. I would be writing to the dealer for a explanation with a CC. copy to Ford customer service and keep all records for future buyers.
ams77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
Kryton

I too had an XF without compliance plates but i bought it from Auction (as Stolen/Recovered) so regardless, it was clean.
Heart kinda skipped a beat when i got it home and realised it wasnt there - straight to Vicroads who said it was on their system so it was fine.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #9
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Is there a chance that the panel it was originally attached to had to be replaced for any reason, and whoever did the work forgot (accidentally or deliberately) to reattach it?
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2010, 12:30 AM   #10
EATHSV
Oo---oO

Pretty sure it got it's tags stripped while waiting on the dock in melb, I've never had a problem with rego or insurance and we went over it and the engine/body/trim numbers match what ford sent me.

All the Tickford plates got swiped and the engine cover too. It's not a problem after three years of ownership, was just wondering if anyone knew anything about it from vic out of interest.

Thought this would be the best place to ask.

Anyway car is great been slowly chipping away at bringing her back to a standard i'm happy with. I'll have to get some pics and start a proper thread about it.