Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 04-10-2006, 10:49 AM   #1
frankh
Starter Motor

Default new to Fiesta

Bought a new Fiesta Zetec (Black) few months ago and found this forum very informative and helpful.

Just a few questions:

1. High beam - when I hold the high beam lever, it works like any other cars that I owned but when i pull the lever to high beam, it isn't as bright as i hold it. Is it normal for Fiesta?
2. Radio volume - it doesn't remember the last volume setting. ie every time when i start the car, the radio volume will go to 5 instead of the last setting.
3. Cold start - lately it shake with clunking noise and few times the engine stopped as well.

Overall I'm happy with the car and it's good value for money.

frankh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 11:09 AM   #2
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1: When you keep it held you are still using the low beams so its very bright. When you click high beam on the low beams turn off. Its Normal.

3: Have a look at your spark plugs. They are the known to cause problems
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 11:22 AM   #3
Jess85

answer to 2: you prob have the car on the auto setting where as the car gets louder the vloume goes up. Check in the manual how to turn that setting off
Jess85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 11:26 AM   #4
photn
AFF Post NAZI

welcome frankh. im glad you find these forums helpful. apart from providing help and assistance in any matters we know of we are a friendly bunch.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 12:06 PM   #5
frankh
Starter Motor

Thanks for the quick reply. I just called the dealer and scheduled the service next week and will have them to look into #3.

Yes I do feel your guys are a friendly bunch.....
Old 04-10-2006, 03:05 PM   #6
Danny
GT4.

Make sure you dont Hold the High Beam lever in between all the time, as you can damage the headlight wiring loom from Having both headlight filaments running at once.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 11:48 PM   #7
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

I know with the WP stereo, it would only 'remember' the volume to a certain level so as not to blast the eardrums of innocents. May be a similar feature with the WQ stereo but I haven't had a chance to play with that yet.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:35 AM   #8
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Agreed Lethal.

Would you all really want your stereo to blast on 20 when you turn you're car on?

I think the volume reduction is a good thing

Also in regards to headlights.. the fiesta's bulbs basically have low beam and high beam in the one bulb.

So if you hold the level back you have both filaments on at the same time, which causes alot of heat and will basically shorten the life of bulbs.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 04:21 PM   #9
frankh
Starter Motor

Regarding to the radio, if I turn off the radio and turn it on again, it will go to the last vol setting. But if I turn off the engine, take the key out and restart the engine, it always go to vol 5 which is quite loud. I read the manual again and again, still couldn't find any solution. Also just found out the 12v socket is always on even though you take the key out, may be it is a new feature for the WQ
Old 06-10-2006, 09:59 AM   #10
goop

I have the same thing in my WQ zetec, except mine goes back to 4. It shits me too, I'd rather it friggen stay where I put it..
goop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2006, 10:13 AM   #11
photn
AFF Post NAZI

thats weird, it doesnt seem to happen to mine. i turned it on this morning and it was at 12. hehehehe that woke me up! mind you myne is a WP.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:11 PM   #12
frankh
Starter Motor

Just took my car for the 1st service this morning and told them about the cold start problem. Their answer was most of the WQs have reported this problem and they've reported to Ford and are waiting for their answer. So nothing have been done to the car today and they will call me back when they hear from Ford.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:56 PM   #13
crispymk2

Sounds like dealer w4nk talk to me... Tell em you want the ECU reflashed, it fixed my rough idle/spluttering problem (on the 3rd attempt)

Personally I think the electronic throttle in the Fiestas is an issue, the engine "miss" I still get occasionally usually occurs when other electronic devices are on such as the ac or lights etc. The extra load seems to freak out the throttle position sensor and the ecu cant seem to get the fuel mix and/or timing right... when I switch of the other circuts or turn the ignition off then on again, it comes right... just my theory :?
Old 10-10-2006, 02:54 PM   #14
Jess85

I have a WP zetec and once or twice my car has stalled when i've tried to start it. I read in the manual something along the lines of the cars stalling and that you have to leave your foot on the clutch for 3 secs or something before trying again.
Dunno what to do if you've got an auto tho??
Jess85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 08:40 PM   #15
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Another thing I've noticed is that my Fez runs significantly smoother on 95 octane. I found when I used 91, particularly during summer with the A/C, it took more coaxing off the line. Might impact driving when cold too.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:25 PM   #16
joshf2
striped

with 11:1 CR, you'd really need the 95 octane fuel. the book says you can run it on 91, but the knock sensor goes into overdrive and, well, just crappiness
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #17
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 74kW / 146nm figures were obtained using 95RON fuel. Do you think using 98RON or 100RON fuels would increase those figures a bit?

I know for sure the dealer filled my Fiesta with normal 91RON ULP out of the box because I noticed that the engine was a lot smoother when I switched to Vortex98. The car felt a bit lighter too.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 07:31 PM   #18
photn
AFF Post NAZI

i doubt it. it may just improve performance as in repsonsiveness and smoothenes

Old 12-10-2006, 09:40 PM   #19
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

98Ron is recommened for the Fiesta. The knock sensor will give you slight performance advatanges with the higher octane but nothing to call home about.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 11:01 PM   #20
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^ I thought the recommendation is 95RON and up.

Anyways, nevermind.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:44 PM   #21
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

I honestly don't think using 98 octane or above will improve things noticeably. The 95 smooths things out, but using very high octane fuels on cars that aren't really tuned for it would provide negligible results.
Old 14-10-2006, 04:55 PM   #22
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^ LethalWeaponLeigh, the only time I use Vortex (95RON) fuel, I got a crappy fuel economy. The car just sucks up the fuel too much.. and I was babying the car, feathering the accelerator, smooth breaking and all.

The fuel economy increased considerably when I filled up with Vortex98. Now I use V-Power Racing (100RON with 5% EtOH). I dont think it increases the performance numberwise, but as Photn said... I can notice that my Fiesta is much smoother. It's like when after you went on a detox diet.

EDIT :- The biggest difference probably can be felt comparing ULP with PULP. When I drove my car out of the dealer... I was a little surprised on how coarse the engine was. I was a little "dissapointed" but luckily I was quick to realize that probably they just put ULP on the brand-new Fiesta. The problem was fixed when I tried using Vortex, but another problem arised (arose?).. see beginning of my post.
Old 17-10-2006, 06:49 PM   #23
chalki
Starter Motor

Hi all, a forum on Fiestas is great. Took me over a year to work out how to lock the doors from the inside. Now, can the instument panel lights be dimmed. Thanks.
chalki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 06:52 PM   #24
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalki
Hi all, a forum on Fiestas is great. Took me over a year to work out how to lock the doors from the inside. Now, can the instument panel lights be dimmed. Thanks.
I always thought it's a bit too dim.
Old 18-10-2006, 04:17 PM   #25
chalki
Starter Motor

I think the instrument panel lights are fine at night around the city. On dark country roads I find their brightness is tiring on the eyes.
chalki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 01:34 AM   #26
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
i doubt it. it may just improve performance as in repsonsiveness and smoothenes

If the car is more responsive its getting a better spark and burn. Hence more power.

So yes the knock sensor does adjust to better fuel and will marginally affect the power output of the car.

In regards to cold start problems or running whilst cold...

I have NEVER had these problems and if you are having these problems there is a mighty simple solution. Think of it this way...

It's a bloody cold morning... its early... you're parents run into you're room, rip off you're blankets (lets hope you are wearing something) shove on you're running shoes and push you out the door and expect you to run at full efficiency right away.. um... not going to happen

Give the poor thing a minute or two to warm up.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 05:25 PM   #27
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With cold starts, as im going to work....I just usually start the car, put on my shoes and drive off. I take it easy until the temp. gauge reaches the usual half-way point. That's not to say I thrash it once it reached that temperature. ..... you know what i mean.
Old 21-10-2006, 12:49 AM   #28
frankh
Starter Motor

hey man the car isnt even moving and it's shuddering, dont you think that's a prob?? anyways its fixed now so no more shuddering
Old 19-02-2007, 11:18 PM   #29
W&K
Starter Motor

Default Question regarding 2. Radio volume

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankh
Bought a new Fiesta Zetec (Black) few months ago and found this forum very informative and helpful.

Just a few questions:

1. High beam - when I hold the high beam lever, it works like any other cars that I owned but when i pull the lever to high beam, it isn't as bright as i hold it. Is it normal for Fiesta?
2. Radio volume - it doesn't remember the last volume setting. ie every time when i start the car, the radio volume will go to 5 instead of the last setting.
3. Cold start - lately it shake with clunking noise and few times the engine stopped as well.

Overall I'm happy with the car and it's good value for money.
Did you find a solution to the preset volume level and if so how do you adjust it to a lower level
W&K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 03:14 PM   #30
darkcloud

no the ford ppl just said its supposed to do that..... but i'm used to it now, plus now i listen to my ipod now using the AUX cable (got it fixed at a ford dealer surprisingly, and its an auto) so its silent until i turn on my ipod so this doesnt worry me anymore.

btw this is just the old frankh, thats my dads, but because im the one who drives it and checks this forum, i decided to make my own account. so hi ppls!! :voldar02:
darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post