Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-03-2021, 04:52 PM   #1
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Linkt users - check your accounts!

Hello all,

Seems since Linkt has taken over from E-Way they are playing silly buggers with the tolls.

I have found several trips classed as a commercial vehicle at $14.56 a pop.

This is while towing a caged 5x8 single axle trailer with my I30.

The trailer is about as tall as me in total - well under 6 foot. It's never filled above the top and on half those trips it would have been totally empty.

The measurements are to exceed 2.8m tall and 12.5m long for me to be charged as a commercial vehicle.

It took them a while to disclose the maximum measurements - at first they were telling me that ANYTHING towed is charged commercial rates.

Not only am I around 1m below the height limit at a guess I would also be at perhaps 9m total length. Not anywhere close to their limits.

They then tried to convince me that my setup is over - I told them they are to prove to me that's the case or refund the money.

Apparently they will look into it and it takes 5 business days. I told them on day 6 I'm calling Fair Trading.

My mum called them after I learnt this - they have done the same to her as well - sometimes she borrows my trailer or I use her car. They assumed because she is old they can spin some big numbers and she will accept it. Like me they did with me.

She asserted herself and asked for a supervisor - none which were available of course.

The phone call back she was promised never came - she called them back and her account charges are also belong looked into.

Lets say they 'accidently' charge a whole bunch of account holders the commercial fee (anyone that tows anything??). The online cashback system totally bypasses you seeing your trips so how many will check?

Of those that do check how many get fobbed off when they try and fluff over the actual restrictions or use the 'everything towed is commercial' line??

The few that persist get the refund only after making a fuss.

Not a bad little money earner... all 'accidently' of course.

Their 'Live Chat' function is a joke, as soon as you connect it minimizes completely out of the screen and only pops up when the other side keeps asking 'Are you still there?' but vanishes again before you can type 3 words.

I'm sure that is also an 'accidental' technical glitch...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2021, 06:49 PM   #2
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Linkt users - check your accounts!

And so people continued flooding out into the regions...
Old 18-03-2021, 10:45 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Anything with a tray back is considered a 'commercial vehicle' here and cops it here in VIC.

Commodore ute is fine, Falcon isn't though
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-03-2021, 03:30 PM   #4
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Anything with a tray back is considered a 'commercial vehicle' here and cops it here in VIC.

I've had both my utes registered as a 'Car' and not a 'Commercial Vehicle' on the Linkt app. Now, admittedly, I'm not a big user of the toll roads, but I have never been charged a commercial rate for any of my trips. Not sure if it's jest because i haven't been caught yet, or that they just don;t care.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2021, 07:35 PM   #5
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

Yet, my car towing a trailer is fine? What would a ute cost more that a car?

A truck I get, but a ute?

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2021, 07:39 PM   #6
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Toll roads are BS. None here yet or the foreseeable future but I have overhead a bloke at work dealing with the pricks on the phone every time he goes to Sydney even though he has a visitor pass
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2021, 09:01 PM   #7
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

I’ve towed a car on a tandem behind a duel cab through the tunnels of Brisbane and never been charged as commercial. Never been charged for towing a trailer for that matter

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2021, 09:25 PM   #8
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

I will go out of my way significantly to avoid Citylink or Eastlink. I do not plan ever to use Metro Tunnel.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2021, 10:39 PM   #9
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Used Linkt here in Melbourne to get a melbourne day pass. Added my car to the database, few weeks later I got a $8 toll turn into $25 because no car was added. Called them and they said the car was deleted, I said it wasnt me, so they overturned the extra admin charge, but was not a smooth exprience....
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2021, 10:48 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-XT View Post
Yet, my car towing a trailer is fine? What would a ute cost more that a car?

A truck I get, but a ute?
Yep - cause a ute is an LCV according to Transurban and LCVs cop a higher rate.

https://www.motoring.com.au/ford-fal...h-grab-103455/

Well a Falcon Ute is, a Commodore ute isn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
I've had both my utes registered as a 'Car' and not a 'Commercial Vehicle' on the Linkt app. Now, admittedly, I'm not a big user of the toll roads, but I have never been charged a commercial rate for any of my trips. Not sure if it's jest because i haven't been caught yet, or that they just don;t care.
They're pretty slack, if they were smart they'd report how fast you go between the toll sections and then use that to help the government raise billions in fines, they know how far they are apart and they know your rego - yet the only risk you have of being fined for speeding on the Tullamarine Freeway is by being caught by police
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2021, 10:27 AM   #11
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Hello all,

Seems since Linkt has taken over from E-Way they are playing silly buggers with the tolls.

I have found several trips classed as a commercial vehicle at $14.56 a pop.

This is while towing a caged 5x8 single axle trailer with my I30.

The trailer is about as tall as me in total - well under 6 foot. It's never filled above the top and on half those trips it would have been totally empty.

The measurements are to exceed 2.8m tall and 12.5m long for me to be charged as a commercial vehicle.

It took them a while to disclose the maximum measurements - at first they were telling me that ANYTHING towed is charged commercial rates.

Not only am I around 1m below the height limit at a guess I would also be at perhaps 9m total length. Not anywhere close to their limits.

They then tried to convince me that my setup is over - I told them they are to prove to me that's the case or refund the money.

Apparently they will look into it and it takes 5 business days. I told them on day 6 I'm calling Fair Trading.

My mum called them after I learnt this - they have done the same to her as well - sometimes she borrows my trailer or I use her car. They assumed because she is old they can spin some big numbers and she will accept it. Like me they did with me.

She asserted herself and asked for a supervisor - none which were available of course.

The phone call back she was promised never came - she called them back and her account charges are also belong looked into.

Lets say they 'accidently' charge a whole bunch of account holders the commercial fee (anyone that tows anything??). The online cashback system totally bypasses you seeing your trips so how many will check?

Of those that do check how many get fobbed off when they try and fluff over the actual restrictions or use the 'everything towed is commercial' line??

The few that persist get the refund only after making a fuss.

Not a bad little money earner... all 'accidently' of course.

Their 'Live Chat' function is a joke, as soon as you connect it minimizes completely out of the screen and only pops up when the other side keeps asking 'Are you still there?' but vanishes again before you can type 3 words.

I'm sure that is also an 'accidental' technical glitch...
Sounds like your Trailer plates register as a commercial trailer in their system.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2021, 12:35 PM   #12
hayseed

Linkt, are a cunch of bunts..........

Eway's customer service was Tollerable. (pun Intended). But Linkt are on another Level..

But since Linkt taking over. The number of Times I've had commercial Tolls charged to passenger vehicles ..Tolls charge to Vehicles the weren't even in Sydney on those Days..

I could go on & on & on about the amount of man hours wasted dealing with those rsoles would make My Fingers Bleed typing it all up.. !!!

Seriously, It's enough to drive you to Drink...

Where's the Fridge...???

Last edited by hayseed; 22-03-2021 at 12:36 PM. Reason: typo
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2021, 08:02 PM   #13
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Sounds like your Trailer plates register as a commercial trailer in their system.
Nope, private rego - as is the car.

This user likes this post:
Old 22-03-2021, 08:16 PM   #14
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Ok an update...

Got a call a few days ago from Linkt. Apparently ONLY on the M5 and ED the height limit for anything towed is 2m. Above that is deemed commercial.

She looked at the camera, and my trailer height is (apparently) hovering between 2m, and 2.2m high.

Even though it's apparently over, as a sign of good will she will refund the difference of the 5 trips (was meant to be 6 actually) and place my rego on a 'don't consider it commercial' list.

Ok, now we are getting somewhere.

I called mum, she didn't hear back from them.

Then I found this in my junk mail - my mums account uses my email address:

Quote:
Hi YF's mum,

Thanks for getting in touch regarding travel charged to your Linkt account at a Class B (or Heavy Commercial Vehicle) rate for vehicle ABC123.

Regarding travel on NSW toll roads, your vehicle's class is determined by the total height and length of the vehicle and any towed items such as a trailer, caravan or boat, or items placed on the roof of the vehicle or vehicles with elevated roofs. If your vehicle and anything being towed or carried exceeds 12.5 metres in length or 2.8 metres in height, this travel will be charged at a Class B rate.

For travel on the M5 South-West and the Eastern Distributor, if a vehicle has 3 or more axles (including axles of anything being towed) and the vehicle and anything being towed or carried exceeds 2 metres in height (as opposed to 2.8 metres on other assets), it will be charged at a Class B rate.

As you were towing on the M5SW and exceed 2m in height, you have been correctly charged at a Class B rate for this travel.

For more information regarding vehicle classification on NSW toll roads, please visit the below link:

https://help.linkt.com.au/sydney/art...-vehicle-class

On this occasion, I have applied a credit of $19.41 to your account as a goodwill gesture for the previous trip charged at a Class B rate however as this charge is correct, no further credits will be provided in relation to this.

However, as the travel charged at a Class B rate relates to travel made on the M5 South-West, you may be able to claim the cost of these trips back through the M5 South-West Cashback scheme.

Thanks again for your enquiry. If you require any further assistance, please reply to this email or get in touch on 13 33 31 and quote your reference number #5092953830.

Safe travels,

Elias

Linkt Customer Care
It gets better.... I went out to measure the height of my trailer. 180cm unladen.

200mm below their height limit... Their sensors either have a huge tolerance or someone is making a sneaky $.

Mum drives a Santa Fe with a height of 1.7m.

I have asked her to put my name on her account and I will take over from here. Not wanting to argue, her solution was to avoid the tolls when towing.

I will be referring them to Fair Trading. If they are saying my 1.8m tall trailer is reading 2-2.2m then they have possibly incorrectly charged thousands of users the much higher cost

I assume they measure using sensors / laser or sorts? No way is it out by such a large margin.

See what happens next.

5 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2021, 09:28 PM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Last Friday while towing my trailer with her car it registered as a car... go figure.