Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #1
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Water pump dripping coolant

Hey guys, need some advice please.

My water pump on my XR8 is dripping coolant slowly from the bottom end of it. Does this mean it needs to be replaced or can it simply be fixed with gasket silicone around the edges of it?

Cheers
Nathan

richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2009, 11:31 PM   #2
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Usually when a water pump starts to drip it mean's it's cactus, they are mean't to drip when stuffed it's a tell tale sign, are you sure this is where it's comming from.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, the water pump has just about had it. Time to replace
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2009, 11:48 PM   #4
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks - should be a relatively straight forward job hey? Theres plenty of room to work in there without having to take out the radiator.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
CPOCSM

Replace it - not a difficult job but also check the timing case while you are there. Nearly all water pumps have a little hole under the spindle shaft and when that starts to seep it is time to change the pump out. This is telling you the seal is on the way out and in turn the bearing is not long for this mortal plane.

When you pull the pump make sure to note where the bolts go...

Have fun!!
CPOCSM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 12:22 AM   #6
FC:LTD

Quite a simple job apart from figuring out where the bolts go when asembling as previosly stated !
FC:LTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 01:27 AM   #7
FTe_XR8
formerly "3x-puursui7"

yeh easy job, as mention have a good look at your timing cover. Best way to remember where the bolts go is just put them in the holes in your new pump as you pull them out one by one, also pays to change the bottom hose and the little "L" shaped one while your in there.

http://www.aufalcon.com.au/3x-puursui7
FTe_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 11:09 PM   #8
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well i pulled off the old pump tonight straight forward enough, couldnt wriggle off the botton hose so ended up cutting it off. Probably best to replace it anyway. Will tackle putting the new one back on Friday.

cheers for the help, made the job all the more easy
Nathan
Old 10-12-2009, 12:04 AM   #9
IH8HSV
XR6T 400kw(well one day!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo77
Well i pulled off the old pump tonight straight forward enough, couldnt wriggle off the botton hose so ended up cutting it off. Probably best to replace it anyway. Will tackle putting the new one back on Friday.

cheers for the help, made the job all the more easy
Nathan
Doesn't hurt to put Permatex gasket seal on the water pump gasket either. ( Its looks like Vegemite and works very well ). Also good to put on the inside of the hoses you are going to replace.

Creates a good permanent seal.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:47 AM   #10
kratas
Goes like an AU

I also recomend checking the timing chain cover. Put the car in to fix an oil drip. Turns out water pump was gonners and the timing chain cover was loose causing the oil leak. ;)
1998 Series 1 AU fairmont GHIA:King Springs lowered - Tickford VCT six - Recod transmission - full TS50 body kit - 17'' BA rims - 25% tint - full leather - Exhaust system Soon to be: Extracted (pacey comps) - Flash Tuned - Dyno
kratas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 09:04 AM   #11
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8HSV
Doesn't hurt to put Permatex gasket seal on the water pump gasket either. ( Its looks like Vegemite and works very well ). Also good to put on the inside of the hoses you are going to replace.

Yeah, a little too permanent for me. : That stuff is from the dark ages.
Loctcite Master Gasket (515?) is much friendlier stuff. As in, easier to clean off.

Territory SYII RWD, BFII RTV tray
lofty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 10:23 AM   #12
Hords
Treasure your balls?

When I replaced my water pump it ended up being the o-ring around the heater tube that had hardened and caused the drip. May as well replace that to while you're at it.
Old 14-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hords
When I replaced my water pump it ended up being the o-ring around the heater tube that had hardened and caused the drip. May as well replace that to while you're at it.
I'm wth Hords.

Both my AUs have had this O-ring replaced, and it's been the cause of similarly described coolant leaks.

The wagon did have the water pump replaced by the previous owner under warranty though.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #14
HypnoTECH03
First Ford Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8HSV

as you said "It looks like Vegemite" obviously using Permatex Ultra Black,
for Water Pump usage the best Permatex Gastek Maker is "High-Temp RED"
as its specific for Water and Higher Temperatures then Ultra Black

but it shouldnt hurt using Ultra Black maybe on the I6, but the V8 would highly recommend Hi-Temp RED
Old 16-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #15
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypnoTECH03
as you said "It looks like Vegemite" obviously using Permatex Ultra Black,
for Water Pump usage the best Permatex Gastek Maker is "High-Temp RED"
as its specific for Water and Higher Temperatures then Ultra Black

but it shouldnt hurt using Ultra Black maybe on the I6, but the V8 would highly recommend Hi-Temp RED
I used Permatax Ultra Blue when doing the water pump in the XF, worked like a charm.
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2009, 02:11 AM   #16
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

I thought those silicone-like rubbery sealants (permatex blue, black red) where for areas like the rocker cover, where its got a rubber gasket, and you don't tighten the joint up very tight. You tighten it up loosely, let the blue/red/black dry overnight, then torque it up, but not very tight. On a water pump with paper gasket, you tighten it up pritty tight, and the silicone would just squeeze out. I think the permatex non-hardening no.3 is ideal for paper gaskets like on the water pump. Or is that the vegemite stuff you talking about?
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2009, 12:24 PM   #17
HypnoTECH03
First Ford Owner

Default RTV Silicone Permatex

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB
I thought those silicone-like rubbery sealants (permatex blue, black red) where for areas like the rocker cover, where its got a rubber gasket, and you don't tighten the joint up very tight. You tighten it up loosely, let the blue/red/black dry overnight, then torque it up, but not very tight. On a water pump with paper gasket, you tighten it up pritty tight, and the silicone would just squeeze out. I think the permatex non-hardening no.3 is ideal for paper gaskets like on the water pump. Or is that the vegemite stuff you talking about?
Nah the recommended Gasket maker for the water pump is High-Temp red.

i work at Supercheap Auto Head Office, along side the Category managers creating the Catalogues!.. and just over the last 2 weeks its been Permatex advertised everywhere, and the High-Temp Red happen to be one of the Main products

And when it comes to tightening with Gasket maker, you apply the Silicone on both ie, water pump surface, then put gasket on & apply Silicone to the gasket then bolt back onto the engine. only tighten till finger tight, allow the silicone to dry for 1 hour then tighten to recommended Torque level, and the Silicone will take around 24 hours to Fully Cure..

Last edited by HypnoTECH03; 17-12-2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Typo!!!
HypnoTECH03 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2009, 07:02 PM   #18
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypnoTECH03
........i work at Supercheap Auto Head Office, along side the Category managers creating the Catalogues!.. ....
Thanks HypnoTECH03, the silicone is good for filling a big gap, but i wouldn't like to use a silicone type 'gasket maker" on something with a paper gasket that is tightened up really tight, even if they do recommend it.

Off topic, HypnoTECH03, maybe you can do something about supercheap selling sikaflex-227 (fast curing automotive sealant) as an adhesive. Sikaflex has proper strong adhesives in their range but supercheap don't stock it. If you ask for Sikaflex adhesive, supercheap will try to sell you sikaflex-227 sealant, and the receipt actually says sikaflex adhesive.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2009, 10:06 PM   #19
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB
Off topic, HypnoTECH03, maybe you can do something about supercheap selling sikaflex-227 (fast curing automotive sealant) as an adhesive. Sikaflex has proper strong adhesives in their range but supercheap don't stock it. If you ask for Sikaflex adhesive, supercheap will try to sell you sikaflex-227 sealant, and the receipt actually says sikaflex adhesive.
ke ???
Old 18-12-2009, 03:59 AM   #20
IH8HSV
XR6T 400kw(well one day!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty
Yeah, a little too permanent for me. : That stuff is from the dark ages.
Loctcite Master Gasket (515?) is much friendlier stuff. As in, easier to clean off.
LOFTY...... Yes it is from the dark ages - But it sure does seal!

But thats what you want. Its very rare you have to change a water pump or hoses again in the life time of your car. So why not seal it for good!!!

Be like Ford: And not care about the next man.