Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 20-12-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
shepv8
V8's for ever

Default Doughy engine at low revs

Hi all,
We have an 06 LX manual focus. It drives well except for when first taking off. It seems like you have to give it excessive revs to get it off the line with any sort of urgency. If you ease the clutch out at low revs and put your foot down its like waiting for a rubber band to wind up. Once its up and running its ok. Do these cars have some kind of torque limiting at low revs/gears ?
It also has a realy loud rattle if the engine starts to falter, a bit like a cross between pinging and broken engine mounts. ( its not engine mounts )
Its also occasionally starting to hesitate, but its very subtle. I notice it most going around roundabouts, as you exit the turn and put the car into 2nd and put your foot down it has the slightest miss/hesitation.
Im wondering whether its worth getting its service done at ford. It has 92000kms and I think they may be able to check for fault codes.
Cheers
Shep

shepv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hopefully it is something cheap like the spark plugs starting to break down as they usually show up as a miss fire under load (like what you describe)
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

I don't think the standard Focus isn't ever a beast off the line but mine improved a bit when I took the lower air box off and upgraded the air filter.

It does sound like you've got some problems though mate.
Best to get it checked out I reckon.

Fredo

Late 2005 LS CL, 5spd Manual, 5 Door, Titanium Grey
To Do List:-
:- Using 95 RON Fuel (DONE -easiest upgrade of all) :- XR5 Springs (DONE) :- Lower air box removal (DONE) :- K & N Panel Air Filter (DONE)
:- 2.25" Cat Back (DONE) :- DBA Brake upgrade (DONE)
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #4
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

I think a thorough service is in order. Sounds like a blocked fuel filter, possibly even air filter.

A good service can't hurt. Doesn't have to be at ford either, any decent mechanic will do.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #5
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj-zetec
. . . . A good service can't hurt. Doesn't have to be at ford either, any decent mechanic will do.
Hey Shep . . listen to what the guy is sayin' . . .
I too only use Dealers as the last resort - $100/hr for an apprentice to work on my car . . . naaahhh. :
Fredo

Late 2005 LS CL, 5spd Manual, 5 Door, Titanium Grey
To Do List:-
:- Using 95 RON Fuel (DONE -easiest upgrade of all) :- XR5 Springs (DONE) :- Lower air box removal (DONE) :- K & N Panel Air Filter (DONE)
:- 2.25" Cat Back (DONE) :- DBA Brake upgrade (DONE)
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
takai
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepv8
It also has a realy loud rattle if the engine starts to falter, a bit like a cross between pinging and broken engine mounts. ( its not engine mounts )
I get this too, although it doesnt sound like pinging at all. Sounds more like backlash against the gears in the gearbox.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 06:34 PM   #7
Dustproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepv8
Hi all,
We have an 06 LX manual focus. It drives well except for when first taking off. It seems like you have to give it excessive revs to get it off the line with any sort of urgency. If you ease the clutch out at low revs and put your foot down its like waiting for a rubber band to wind up. Once its up and running its ok. Do these cars have some kind of torque limiting at low revs/gears ?
Its also occasionally starting to hesitate, but its very subtle. I notice it most going around roundabouts, as you exit the turn and put the car into 2nd and put your foot down it has the slightest miss/hesitation.
Im wondering whether its worth getting its service done at ford. It has 92000kms and I think they may be able to check for fault codes.
Cheers
Shep
Hi Shep,

Welcome to the world of Compact Fours, all 4 cylinder cars (Except Diesel's) are sluggish at low RPM's. You need to give them some revs to get going with urgency, they are very good at motoring around and getting good economy. If you are used to V8's which have bucket loads of torque at low RPM's; a Diesel is the best choice for a fuel efficient 4 as the torque is instant and pulls like a V8. Fours need Rev's to build this torque, most make this torque at 4000 to 6000 where as a Diesel will make most torque at 1800 RPM and pull all the way to 4,500.

As the other guy's are saying, keep the car tuned so it is at it's best and you will find it respond better, it will never be a V8.
Old 21-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #8
shepv8
V8's for ever

Thanks for the replies,
Im definately getting it serviced, just trying to find out if Im better going to ford for this one. I assume that ford will know about any particular faults/fixes before the average joe mechanic does. Personally Id prefer not to get ripped off by ford service again. Do they always check fault codes on the computer at a service because this is something the local mechanic dosent have in his shop.
I know 4's are a bit slow down low, but our previous 97 model 1.6l corolla would have easily beaten the focus off the mark. I reckon the car actually has more pull in 2nd gear which is impossible. It is absolutely lifeless in 1st gear which is the zippiest gear in any car. That was why I questioned if the engine has a tune to soften the torque a bit, because I must admit there are times when the torque steer is quite surprising.
shepv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post