Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
Starter Motor

Default Dealer Tricks

Just dropped into a Holden Dealer in Cardiff NSW to compare the SSV to the XR6 Turbo and asked why should I buy the holden over the Ford and the answer was because from next year the Falcon is dead and it will be FWD based on the Taurus. Am I missing something or is next year going to be 2015 and has a decision been made.

70773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70773
Just dropped into a Holden Dealer in Cardiff NSW to compare the SSV to the XR6 Turbo and asked why should I buy the holden over the Ford and the answer was because from next year the Falcon is dead and it will be FWD based on the Taurus. Am I missing something or is next year going to be 2015 and has a decision been made.
Lies, Falcons good till 2015 - 2016 and even then it could still be designed and built here but sharing the same platform as Taurus.

Buy the XR6 Turbo, you know holdens got a new model SSV on the way dont you?? Its due in showrooms in September. I bet the oxygen thief didnt tell you that!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

More chance of Holden shutting down......... Read the financial news reports and make up your own mind.

Back on topic, this man is obviously mis-informed or a liar, eiither way, he does not deserve your custom.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

That still doesn't answer your question on WHY you should buy a SSV over a XR6T ( to which you can clearly buy today in '10) what does next yr have to do with what you want to buy today, lol........
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #5
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no he is a plonker....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
no he is a plonker....
No he is a w@*ka and a plonker.
Old 26-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
Starter Motor

More to the story, I wanted a trade in price on my AU3 XR8 to compare with the Ford Dealer and they wanted me to test drive the SSV. When I can back they asked what I though of it to the XR6 T so I had to tell the truth. Then no trade in, so when to an Auto Wholesaler how said that it was worth putting it on blocks as the condition it's in it could be worth anything in a couple of years and they would not be able to give me a fare price so I still don't know what to ask for, any ideas.
Old 26-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

That dealer would have fared quite well in the debate last night between Ms Gillard and Mr Abbott...

They both did similar jobs of answering questions with rubbish and myth...

Maybe the dealer is an advisor to one of the Parties??
Old 26-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
More to the story, I wanted a trade in price on my AU3 XR8 to compare with the Ford Dealer and they wanted me to test drive the SSV. When I can back they asked what I though of it to the XR6 T so I had to tell the truth. Then no trade in, so when to an Auto Wholesaler how said that it was worth putting it on blocks as the condition it's in it could be worth anything in a couple of years and they would not be able to give me a fare price so I still don't know what to ask for, any ideas.
The problem with a E series/AU XR8 is that it is a bit of an "in betweener". Now that P platers can't drive them there is a bit of an oversupply as by the time a driver can legally drive a V8 they usually can afford something a bit newer as well as the B series and later are much more powerful than their predecessors so they become a bit difficult to sell.

Therefore AUs have taken a huge hit with an XR6 being worth more than a XR8 wholesale.

P.S. Please no AU tragics arc up on how wonderful they are, this is just wholesale sales value nothing more.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh well atleast you got to take an SSV for a smash now off you go and buy the XR6T....
Old 26-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #11
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While on Myths, my son was chased for a bit & then pulled up the other night for speeding on his Bike which is a modded Suzuki GSXR 1000 (only got him as he stopped at a stop sign lol) anyway the Police Guy told my son he mashed the throttle as soon as my son went past him & it took 4 seconds for my Son to vanish from sight & here is the clincher, he said it was a Supercharged XR8 lol
This is the Hwy Patrol dude & not my son, I am pretty sure they dont make them (Yet)
Seduce XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #12
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
oh well atleast you got to take an SSV for a smash now off you go and buy the XR6T....
Then go back with it and tell him he would have got the sale only he lied to you about the Ford and also didn't tell about the new model coming.
Old 26-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #13
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Your XR8 a manual or auto?

Sell it privately if you dont want to get bent over by a dealership.

If the exhaust note is not a worry then FFS get the XR6T please.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2010, 04:13 PM   #14
BOSHOG
avenge me

mate theres no way in hell id buy a car from a newcastle dealer, when Sydney is an hour away why not drive there to save THOUSANDS?
Old 26-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #15
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Sounds like your salesman gets his info from Top Gear magazine, the article he is quoting from was written by an American correspondent who had absolutley no idea. One such gem from the article was when either the writer or sub-editor clearly had trouble converting feet to millimeters and said the Taurus was 6m long and 3m high.

I wouldn't put to high a price on information that was gathered from a clearly uninformed writer via an "entertainment" geared publication regurgitated by a salesman. More importantly though, what has 2015 platforms got to do with buying a car in 2010 when everyone knows the world ends 2012.
Old 26-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #16
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Sounds like your salesman gets his info from Top Gear magazine, the article he is quoting from was written by an American correspondent who had absolutley no idea. One such gem from the article was when either the writer or sub-editor clearly had trouble converting feet to millimeters and said the Taurus was 6m long and 3m high.

I wouldn't put to high a price on information that was gathered from a clearly uninformed writer via an "entertainment" geared publication regurgitated by a salesman. More importantly though, what has 2015 platforms got to do with buying a car in 2010 when everyone knows the world ends 2012.
wouldnt even wipe my dogs behind with Top Gear magazine.....

Last edited by SpoolMan; 26-07-2010 at 08:41 PM. Reason: word choice
Old 26-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #17
Starter Motor

Bought my last car from Sydney will be looking at the same dealers this time as well. My XR8 is an auto "sorry".
Old 26-07-2010, 04:49 PM   #18
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We can't just blame Holden dealers.. There is a topic on this very website called "Ford going Global" or something close to that, where even Ford Dealers told a customer the same thing!!

Bottom line, Cars Sales men are all crooks.. Do your own home work before you get to the dealer!!

And to answer the real question: XR6T easily.. I bought one in Dec09 & LOVE it. You might also be able to pick up a 50th anniversary one which is very very good value at the moment.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2010, 05:07 PM   #19
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Bottom line, Cars Sales men are all crooks..
fairly long bow drawn there.... salesdude i bought my car off was awesome.. even doing after hours drop offs warranty / loan cars at his private address.... went above and beyond in my books...
Old 26-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #20
Boosh Brus

Quote:
I dont see how the future of Ford or Holden is relevant to buying a car in 2010 (excluding bankruptcy etc). If Ford moves to a FWD platform tomorrow your 2010 RWD XR6 Turbo will still be a 2010 RWD XR6 Turbo. If anything, it will probably help the resale.
Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #21
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I assume that you checked out the SSV at the Holden dealer, and then were doing the same for the XR6 at a Ford Dealer. If the case, then might I suggest the Holden dealer had a vested interest in bagging Ford, and attempting to get you to buy the product he was selling.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #22
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
You asked a salesman at a HOLDEN dealership why you should buy a HOLDEN over a FORD, and you expected a sensible answer? C'mon!!
Old 26-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #23
Kryton

Both sides do it.
If your silly enough to believe what they tell you, your silly enough to have your money taken from you too.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2010, 08:21 PM   #24
JimNiki
71Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Bottom line, Cars Sales men are all crooks..
Please don't discriminate by not including real estate agents, politicians and those people who knock on your door every month to sell you Foxtel or to save you money by merging your electricity and gas into one account!

...I find them all patronising and pushy!
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #25
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The problem with a E series/AU XR8 is that it is a bit of an "in betweener". Now that P platers can't drive them there is a bit of an oversupply as by the time a driver can legally drive a V8 they usually can afford something a bit newer as well as the B series and later are much more powerful than their predecessors so they become a bit difficult to sell.

Therefore AUs have taken a huge hit with an XR6 being worth more than a XR8 wholesale.

P.S. Please no AU tragics arc up on how wonderful they are, this is just wholesale sales value nothing more.
i think your spot on there Flappist, a perfect example , my best mates young bloke was contemplateing buying either an au xr6 or a b series xr6, i threw him the keys for a test run (told him not to bend it) , he came back with,....... his exact words it does`nt have enough go, he`d already driven a ba6 banger.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #26
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why does the Falcon apparently being dead next year have any affect on buying one this year?

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 09:02 AM   #27
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have encountered a few of these Holden salesman over the years. You mention Ford, and all they do is bag the Ford product. This just shows poor salesman skills. They are only used to dealing with customers who will buy the car no matter what. To actually sell a car, that is to challenging.

The last Holden dealer that did it to me was fired about a week later.

I have in the past found the Ford dealers I have dealt with to be very different. Except for this time. I was lied to openly on 2 occasions, maybe 3 if you count the one about "there will be no more XR8". I was patronised, and made to feel the entire time that nobody wanted to sell me a car.

Now I have bought my last 2 utes from that same dealership, and I usually walk in, work out a deal that we are both happy with, and I buy the car. This time I had to stand around for a total of 3 hours waiting for these clowns to sort their crap out.

That and a few "bag the opposition" salesman expriences are the only problems I have had. I have no idea how anyone can make a generalisation about an entire proffession based on a handful of experience. Personally I have some really good experiences. One of them lead me to buying 2 new cars from the same dealer. Unfortunately the sales manager ruined all that hard work.

To the OP, there are few good points to the SSV. If you're interested you should maybe try and find a good dealer to explain them to you. Drive both, and buy the one you like most.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #28
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What was the salesmans name?

Josh Dowling???
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #29
Starter Motor

Can't remember his name but it was a funny sounding one and the sales manager said the same, so it seems to be a dealers ploy more than an individual one.

I do own a current FG Turbo but the wife is tired of the older XR8 and wants a new car.
Old 27-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #30
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my mother in law went to the holden dealer in cardiff a few years ago. my father in law had convinced her to buy a clubsport, but when she asked the sales guy why she should pay more for the clubby over an ss the only answer he could come up with was "we'll give you a loaner car while yours gets serviced". needless to say they bought the ss
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post